Mustangs at the top of NASA?

BlackStripes

Established Member
Ok, a little misleading title... but... there are a couple of changes in the NASA rules for 2011, one for AIX cars: non-DOT tires AND 13" wide wheels are allowed now :eek:

So.... when these 700-800-900rwhp, 2800lbs Mustangs have 345's slicks all the way around, what cars are to the task to beat them? I don't think a lot .. actually, no one comes to my mind :shrug:

Now, let's the game begin... :rolling:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Ok, a little misleading title... but... there are a couple of changes in the NASA rules for 2011, one for AIX cars: non-DOT tires AND 13" wide wheels are allowed now :eek:

So.... when these 700-800-900rwhp, 2800lbs Mustangs have 345's slicks all the way around, what cars are to the task to beat them? I don't think a lot .. actually, no one comes to my mind :shrug:

:eek::uh oh::eek:

calm-down.jpg

steeltoe

Established Member

There is one problem with your theory an equally built F-body, 5th gen Camaro, GTO, or Challenger.

BlackStripes

Established Member
IF there are some. As we know Griswold already have a 1000HP mustang and definitely weighs close to 2800 lbs, Roco's car weighs less than 2500 lbs and had around 700 to the wheels. As I said, I don't know any other cars that can match these...if they can get some traction :)

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
IF there are some. As we know Griswold already have a 1000HP mustang and definitely weighs close to 2800 lbs, Roco's car weighs less than 2500 lbs and had around 700 to the wheels. As I said, I don't know any other cars that can match these...if they can get some traction :)

Just because nobody has built one, doesn't mean it can't be done. Takes a pile of cash though, and not many people are willing to spend it. Hence the reason there was only one car at nationals that had a chance of winning AIX and that was Griswold. They are damned impressive for sure, but not cheap to build or race at all.

If you have a shit-ton of cash and want to build an AIX competitive Camaro, Challenger, etc., there are plenty of shops that could do it, FWIW. I'll hook you up if you're interested:thumbsup:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member

Hate to say it Jimmy but I think he was being calm. I'm pretty sure Griswold's car is DETUNED to 850rwhp or whatever it was. I believe he was only running 8psi. I thought he said it was capable of 1200rwhp but he didn't want to risk burning it up for no reason.

BlackStripes

Established Member
Oh yeah, of course rules apply to any model, I was just referring to the current cars that are just gonna change tires/rims and they are ready to blast the field, even worse than last year!

If you have a shit-ton of cash and want to build an AIX competitive Camaro, Challenger, etc., there are plenty of shops that could do it, FWIW. I'll hook you up if you're interested:thumbsup:

wait... hook me up with a shit-ton of cash? :lol1: .... because that's what I'd need :)

Actually, my goals with my car are totally different, I just want to push the envelope of a true street car, that's it :-D

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Oh yeah, of course rules apply to any model, I was just referring to the current cars that are just gonna change tires/rims and they are ready to blast the field, even worse than last year!

wait... hook me up with a shit-ton of cash? :lol1: .... because that's what I'd need :)

Actually, my goals with my car are totally different, I just want to push the envelope of a true street car, that's it :-D

What do you consider a "street car" ;-)

As far as current cars in AIX that can beat the Mustangs.... well.... what other cars are currently running AIX? I only know of Mustangs, so it's kind of hard to give an answer at all.

BlackStripes

Established Member
hehe, the old debate of what's a 'street car' :) , for me a street car needs to have plates, pass inspection and emissions, in my case I have to add, in street trim since I want to see how fast my car can be on street tires, meaning.... anything over 140 UTQG. :)

Of course, because my car doesn't have A/C (and soon no radio) some people say that it's not a street car... but "in my days" A/C or radio were options :)

And about AIX.... are there going to be cars faster than AIX in other classes? I know SU should be faster, but in my region, not a lot. Of course, the AIX record in MID-Atlantic is slower than AI's record :)

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
* real aix cars are very rare. ive never seen more than two 500+ hp aix cars in the same race other than the nationals and even then its still single digits.

* not supposed to go fast on the street. this is why we race...on the track.

David Hester

Established Member
Note Andy Mc Dermid's Mustang has been at the top of SCCA American Sedan several times over the past few years.

btw 2:28 at road america vs Griswold 2:25 with 16x8 inch rims, a 600 Holley, 400 hp, no downforce and 3200 lbs... just sayin' ;^)

Last edited:

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member

There is none?! Show me one that can compete year after year like the mustangs of AIX? ...............................waiting...........................waiting...........................LOL

Users who are viewing this thread