Mustangs are PROBLEM Cars and brake alot?

Young D

Established Member
hmmmm... i refuse to beleive this, but my brother is trying to convince me that mustangs brake all the time, and that they are huge problem cars. he said ask any1 who owns a mustang its constantly brakeing and taking there money and they are a huge waste of money..... is this true? (im looking at buying 1, so hes trying to convince me not to get 1)

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
As with any performance vehicle you buy; it all depends on how you maintain the car. My 91 racked up 190K and the only real problems on it were the wear items: brakes, clutches, battery, alternator, etc. I loved that thing but I could not get it registered in DC due to some of the modifications. Had I not modded the hell out of my 96, I don't think that I would have any persistent problems; but since I modded it from day one, I will never know.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
The only reason why they might become a "problem" car is cuz people beat the piss out of them because they're so fun to abuse them. They're toys. The damage premature wear reflects that. The old "reliable" commuter cars are too boring to abuse so they last longer as you would expect.

The great thing about mustangs is that their parts are cheap to replace. There's so much frigin' aftermarket support that if you need to replace your control arms for example, you have so many choices at dirt cheap prices. It's also a hellva lot easier to work on yourself then say, a honda TSX or the like.

Young D

Established Member
see thats what i expected... if u treat ur car right it will treat u right... me i dont beat the hell otta my cars, sure i get on them every once and a while but thats it. i oil change with full syn every 3000 miles.. (btw what kinda oil do guys use? 10w40?) always buyin stuff for it, me as far as mods will go i will prolly only end up gettin an exhaust and intake,wires, and maybe like a manifold or so. so there good cars if u treat em right k thhankz

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
mine brakes every single day...

sorry couldn't resist

(it hardly ever breaks tho)

Young D

Established Member
lol, also how long to mustang engiens usually last up to? like miles? cuz i wanna car that will last a while obviously :) , the one im looking at has 94k

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
The engine should be fine but rattles and squeeks are another story. A mustang with 100k miles thats been beat on and has no subframe connectors will squeek and rattle like a wooden boat. If the oil and other fluids were changed regularly and the car wasn't beat on, I can see these cars lasting 150k miles or more.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
Bl4ckedoutc0bra said:
The engine should be fine but rattles and squeeks are another story. A mustang with 100k miles thats been beat on and has no subframe connectors will squeek and rattle like a wooden boat. If the oil and other fluids were changed regularly and the car wasn't beat on, I can see these cars lasting 150k miles or more.

I agree. The first mod you should get for that car, if you purchase it is some Full lengths MM SFCs. It will probably need it bad.

As for me, I beat the living hell out of my car. I didn't buy this car to put around like I'm driving miss muffuccin daisy. My daily commute is a joy-ride as far as i'm concerned. Nothing has broke yet, but when it does, I'll just fix/replace it. :-D

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
My only mustang worth mentioning was my '98 V6. I had it for about 56K miles before trading it in. The only thing that went bad on it (that was not normal wear and tear anyways) was the alternator. Other than that it was a fine car from a reliability standpoint.

SpectorV

Established Member
Im on my 3rd mustang, had them for 8 years~ my first was a 97 mustang, never had a SINGLE problem out of the car it was an amazing little car and I sold it at 75k miles. My second car was a 2001 v6, had no issues other than a little sensor and the throwout bearing at 12k miles, thats it. I sold it at 59k, my current car is in my sig, so far so good.

As with ANY car you get good ones or lemons... mustangs are pretty good cars and when they do break they are cheap to fix most all of the time.

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
235,000 and still running strong...nuff said. BTW, the motor has NEVER been touched and I change with Castrol GTX (regualar) every 2k. It's all how you take care of it.

94EMStang

Pride, Integrity & Guts
Established Member
EastCoast5.0 said:
235,000 and still running strong...nuff said. BTW, the motor has NEVER been touched and I change with Castrol GTX (regualar) every 2k. It's all how you take care of it.

+1
my 94 GT has 156,000+ daily driven miles on it. other than air filter, coil and plug wires everything is stock/factory. no major problems yet (knock on wood) and still runs strong (for stock) with no leaks. as said, its all in how you take care of it.
good luck with purchase...

Wizardrex

THE BIG RED SEXY
Established Member
Yes they are. My Cobra brakes at every stop light and the PROBLEM is everyone and their grandma wants to race. Not with these gas prices.

?break?

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
Smokinbago said:
As with any performance vehicle you buy; it all depends on how you maintain the car. My 91 racked up 190K and the only real problems on it were the wear items: brakes, clutches, battery, alternator, etc. I loved that thing but I could not get it registered in DC due to some of the modifications. Had I not modded the hell out of my 96, I don't think that I would have any persistent problems; but since I modded it from day one, I will never know.
+1 I've owned 4 and never had a problem except....Brake pads, Alternator, etc and all the other time change crap.

88 LX 4 banger drove the wheels off 185,000 mi then it caught on fire. No problems ever

88 LX 5.0 No problems till 167,000mi #7 had a cracked ring so I junked it and got my 94

94 GT Vert I rebuilt the motor @ 98,000 just to add cam and make it a 331 and all the other stuff. I smoked my Tranny but that was my fault

04 Cobra (CURRENT) no problems 23,000 + Miles

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
i had a 88 LX 5.0 before my gt. that car was unbreakable, i abused it more than i should have. great little car.
as for my gt, it has 113,000 "HIGHWAY MILES" on it right now. never had to replace anything expensive, just reutine maintenance items. change the oil every 3000, 3 sets of plugs, fuel filter, throwout bearing at like 95,000. i have had to replace a couple of the coil packs. i dont rag this car like i did my lx. but with 113,000 on the clock it still looks damn good, and runs like the day i bought it (28,900 miles) but alot faster.

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
EastCoast5.0 said:

The Beauty Of The 5.0 (4.9 :p ) Engine, they run for freakin ever!! Only problem theyre a litte slow when theyre stock but still very fun to drive due to their very "grouchy" exhaust tone :rolling: :D

MIKEC501

Established Member
i have hade about a dozen 5.0's over the year's never hurt a motor only a few transmisions no other main part's and even ran nitrous on a few no problems pretty dependable car's.

unfortunate5.0

Established Member
it seems like the motors go forever but the trannys never seem to hold up luickily mines virgin yet ben drove maybe 3k in past 3 years all of my other friends stangs have problems with the t-5s 4 different stangs all with the same tranny problems iam not sure if it is the syncros or what it is can they be beefeds up btw or just upgrade to a tko and be done with it good luck with your car you get what you pay for spend a little fix a lot nice clean cars will hold their value for the most part

Users who are viewing this thread