Mustang tail happy rep! Source...

ricardoa1

Established Member
What is the undeniable factor in S197 cars breaking loose at moderate speeds or when tire spinning then finding grip.

Bad drivers
Automatic gear box
Quirky factory solid axle geometry inherent to S197
Tires
Too much power
Improper suspension mods
Traction control making this worse
Stability control getting in the way
Other

Leverage the above to provide a meaningful discussion. There is correlation to the car. I don’t see the IRS cars having this hard of a time and neither with the older gens but maybe lack of power keeps the sample pool of wrecks low.

ricardoa1

Established Member
Thanks, These cars seem to kick hard to the side when they find traction or when they hit the next gear and again finding traction or when hitting a bump. With my manual I am able to correct any most issues but can the auto guys do the same?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Biggest cause is people adding power without beefing up the suspension first. Pretty dumb in my book.

DeepImpact

Established Member
Does the Torsen spin one side a little before it kicks in both? My traction lock in my 500rwhp Fox spun both perfectly. In the few miles I have put on this 14 track pack, the Torsen feels like it puts the power down differently. I did have it kick the backend out pretty far to the right as soon as the clutch came out on a hard 3-4 shift. That surprised me. It is bone stock on original tires.

ricardoa1

Established Member
Does the Torsen spin one side a little before it kicks in both? My traction lock in my 500rwhp Fox spun both perfectly. In the few miles I have put on this 14 track pack, the Torsen feels like it puts the power down differently. I did have it kick the backend out pretty far to the right as soon as the clutch came out on a hard 3-4 shift. That surprised me. It is bone stock on original tires.

Not all of us have the Torsten diff, just good old clutch packs. Still seems to happen to all types. I have a feeling is suspensión geometry and loading under power and unloading. It’s a handful at times.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

PC03GT

Established Member
I think the shitty ass Pirellis are the biggest problem, then the suspension.

ricardoa1

Established Member
I think the shitty ass Pirellis are the biggest problem, then the suspension.

There are other tires on out cars. Shelby’s have good years. Gts had all season and summer tires I see them all jerk to the side. I fear the auto guys have a harder time recovering when it happens. Manuals unless you stay in it should be able to whip it back in shape.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
It’s the nature of multi link SRA that has left to right movement controlled by a single, rigidly connected Panhard bar.

Watts link conversion makes most of this problem go away.

DeepImpact

Established Member
What I thought was to Torsen was actually the AdvanceTrac system. I turned off traction control but didn't hold the button down to also enable the AdvanceTrac. With it off, it is more predictable and swings around all over the place like I expect it too. LOL. Once I get the shitty Pirelli's heated up, the back does feel planted better than my old Foxbody. I want to lower this 14 I just got, but I think I am going to hold off until I can afford to do the Watt's Link at the same time and skip the adjustable panhard. I figure that along with some Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires should make this thing feel really good.

Users who are viewing this thread