Mustang Racing

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
at what point do they start selling any of the FR500S's to the public when they no longer need that car? Any lately? How much are they going for(used ofcourse)? Would love one of those for a toy.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
at what point do they start selling any of the FR500S's to the public when they no longer need that car? Any lately? How much are they going for(used ofcourse)? Would love one of those for a toy.

By the way it sounds to me, if you have the money you can buy one. I don't know what they have in place as far as making a commitment to the series though. I don't think anyone is selling them used yet since there has only been one official race. All of our cars placed pretty well which means I doubt they are selling;-) I will try to get some information from the team.

If it were me I would find a wrecked S197, have a body shop fix it and then weld in a cage and get some coil overs. That is about all the car is, they really aren't that heavily modded, the new cars are just that much better out of the box IMO:thumbsup::rockon:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
+1 on the better platform.

Would you say an FR500 has more mods to the chassis or the motor over a stock S197?

One of those would be fun, wouldn't it? :D

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
+1 on the better platform.

Would you say an FR500 has more mods to the chassis or the motor over a stock S197?

One of those would be fun, wouldn't it? :D

For the FR500S definitely chassis. And yes they appear to be a lot of fun:pepper::banana:

I might have to say the FR500C's have more engine change though since they have a completely different engine and the suspension stays somewhat similar to what comes in the FR500S

List from Mustang Challenge website

General

Car built at AAI in Flat Rock, Mich., the home of the Mustang; additional race-prep fabrication at Watson Engineering in Taylor, Mich.; final race prep at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah. First-ever Ford production-line race car.

Roll cage built to SCCA, NASA and Grand-Am specifications
Factory-built and painted body shell with all sound deadening and seam sealer deleted

Complete safety system including integral side head restraint seat, a six-point HANS-compatible harness, and steering wheel with quick-release hub, fire suppression system and window net

Lexan quarter and rear windows

AIM MXL Data Acquisition System

Master cutoff switch and center switch panel

Decontented wiring harnesses for minimum necessary functionality

Aero: Wing/Splitter

Powertrain

Engine Type: Dyno-checked and sealed 4.6L 3-valve, fuel-injected V8

Bore/Stroke (mm): 90.2x90.0

Compression Ratio (in/mm): 9.8:1

Material: All Aluminum

Horsepower: 325

Ford Racing high-capacity racing radiator and aluminum de-gas bottle

Ford Racing 84mm cold-air intake kit

Ford Racing driveshaft loops

6-speed Ford Racing transmission with upgraded clutch and Ford Racing short-throw shifter

3:73-ratio axle with Ford Racing/Torsen differential

Recalibrated PCM

Ford Racing/Borla stainless steel long-tube headers and X-Pipe

Chassis/Steering/Brakes

Drivetrain Layout: Rear-wheel drive

Front Suspension: Two-way adjustable front dampers with coil springs, adjustable anti-roll bar, adjustable ride height

Rear Suspension: Live-axle; Panhard rod, two-way adjustable rear dampers with coil over springs, anti-roll bar, adjustable ride height

Steering Type: Rack-and-Pinion

Ford Racing front strut tower brace

Ford Racing front and rear sway bars with 3-position front adjustment

Ford Racing front camber/caster plate

Ford Racing/Brembo 4-piston 14” front brakes with race pads front & rear; Race ABS calibration

Ford Racing rack-and-pinion steering

BFGoodrich Tires, g-Force R1 245/40/R18 (spec tire for series)

All cars will be delivered white, color options available at additional charge.

David Hester

Established Member
I looked into getting a C when Ford first announced they were building them. That didn't last long. :shrug:
Then I looked at a S.

Hand over $75,000 for Ford Racing Part# M-FR500-S and you receive a turnkey racing car (actually push-button prepared, as the key opens only the trunk) for a racing series in which a strict set of rules guarantees that the best driver will win, not the team that spends the most money.
You can race a GT or Shelby GT in SCCA T-2. Also can race in A/Sedan with the stockish weight disadvantage.

For the Premium price, you get a seam welded, fully caged chassis and basic roadrace stuff- bars, brakes, struts, shocks, seat, gauges, etc. Actually a good deal for all the stuff that is done.
Unlike the Cobra R before, you need to have a competition license to be put on the list to buy. No VIN numbers so you could never put one on the street.
The S is a WHOLE nother ballgame.

David Hester

Established Member
A/Sedan we used to have to leave stock steering column (changed last year), but had to pop out the column lock and tumbler. We use a toggle switch and push button momentary switch to start.
Just something neat about a push to start button.

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Koni Challenge and Miller Cup racing at Mosport this weekend. Koni Race is on Saturday and Miller cup is on Sunday. This is probably the closest race for any of the Detroit people to make it to. We are hoping for a good showing since we have done well there before. We will have all 5 Koni cars there (looking like the 6th car is going to be mainly used just for driver improvement and not racing). We are bringing 4 Miller cars and I believe providing track support for 1 or 2 others also. No TV coverage of this race though so you will have to look stuff up on the web or come out and watch it in person. Hope some of you can make it, it's always good meeting you guys in person.

steve121

Established Member
Yup, a bit of miscommunication. Also earlier in the race we had a car come in wide and couldn't get the fuel rig to it. Then it took us longer than it should have to get the rear end moved over. I'm sure a little practice will do us good and the next race we will be even better. Hopefully you'll cheer us on at Lime Rock :-D If you get around the pit area be sure to stop in and introduce yourself:thumbsup:QUOTE]

Just wanted to say THANKS Tom for showing Craig and I around the paddock at Lime Rock. It was very cool to see the cars up close.

Steve

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Good luck, Y'all!

Just wanted to say THANKS Tom for showing Craig and I around the paddock at Lime Rock. It was very cool to see the cars up close.

Steve

You're welcome, it was good meeting you and Craig. Glad I could show you guys what you wanted to see. Hopefully I'll see you around again one of these days:thumbsup:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Well I'm back from the VERY busy weekend. It went fairly well but not as good as hoped. The Koni race was on Saturday with both the GS and ST classes running together and started out with a 10 minute penalty for the 150 car of Jim Click because the mechanic was waved onto the track when he took the car to grid. The cars are usually gridded on the front straight so he didn't think anything of it until they started going around the track instead of stopping:eek: So that killed their chances of doing anything right from the beginning, they did finish 49th overall though. Jack qualified the 59 car in 2nd and drove an excellent race to still be in second when he came into the pits for a full stop including driver change to Dean. Dean came out and drove hard to get back up to fourth. After several long cautions there wasn't much left and Dean was fighting hard for third when he was bumped coming out of a corner which spun him through the grass filling his front wheels with dirt causing a horrible imbalance. He had to pit for a two tire change and finished the race in 30th:( The 52 car drove a pretty good race, even leading a could green flag laps after pits rotations during the first caution period. They ended up in a solid 10th which was worth celebrating:) The good news of the day was that Mike Canny and Hugh Plumb finished the race in 2nd place with the 60 car:thumbsup: They both drove very well and did a terrific job of timing their pit strategy. Their crew cheif brought them in on the right lap even though there was confusion between race control and the corner workers. Quinn Conda, the 60 car crew cheif, followed the rules set forth and got them in exactly when they needed to be giving them the perfect opportunity to finish well.

Our pit stops all went well which was a breath of fresh air. I did have a small problem releasing the jack on one side of the 150 car because the handle stuck but I got it down before it was finished fueling so it didn't cause any delay which made me feel better. Other than working on the Koni pit crew as a jackman, I spent the majority of the weekend as head mechanic for George Winkler's Mustang Challenge cars. It's a fairly easy job since the cars don't require many changes. I basically just check the car over for loose nuts and bolts, brakes are in good condition, and the proper tires are on the car with pressures set.

The weekend was pretty hectic for the other Mustang Challenge cars Rehagen Racing takes car of as we had 3 panhard bars bend in the first practice session and two engine changes. After changing them and having no other issues with them the rest of the weekend we attributed it to improperly strapping the cars down (they were hauled to the track by Reliable not us). The second practice session ended for the 11 car of Mike Harvison when the engine broke. Since they are sealed we didn't tear it apart to see why. Luckily Ford Racing had a spare so we could change it. At some point they determined that the 6 car of Jamie Slone may be experiencing the same problem so they changed his engine on Saturday before it had trouble since he finished 2nd at Road Atlanta and they didn't want to risk him not having a chance at points in this race due to a blown engine.

The race went pretty well for all the drivers. We were happy that we finished 4 of our 5 Mustang Challenge cars in the top 10:rockon:
Jamie Slone drove an excellent race finishing 4th in his #6 car.
Mike McGovern drove fantastic as well finishing 5th in his #55 car.
Mike Harvison was battling right to the end to finish in 8th three cars wide with another car and George Winkler right next to him in 10th!
Our final car of the weekend was Jim Click who finished 13th out of 19 cars. Jim did a terrific job as well, dicing with several cars throughout the race.

I was pretty happy for George since he had some hard times before the season started but he is getting better every race. He finished 12th at Road Atlanta. I have also been impressed because this is his first season of wheel to wheel racing. Before this year he had only done open track events with his GT500 like a lot of us and been a drag racer for more than 2 decades. I am hoping he will continue doing well as he is great guy to work with.

Mustang Challenge is having their next race this coming weekend at Mid-Ohio if any of you want to stop by. I will probably only be there for Friday practice and Saturday's race since I don't think I can take too much time off work right now. Still have to talk to the boss about that today.

Koni Challenge's next race is 4th of July weekend at Watkin's Glen.

Last edited:

David Hester

Established Member
Congrats!
Sounds like a decent weekend.
We managed a couple of 2nd places club racing this weekend. Just proud nothing broke on car... Not true did break a wheel stud. Easy fix.
DSC_2192.JPG

I bought a 428R a couple of weeks ago. If I sneak it into the paddock, suppose we could swap it for one of the GS cars? Think anyone would notice?

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Congrats!
Sounds like a decent weekend.
We managed a couple of 2nd places club racing this weekend. Just proud nothing broke on car... Not true did break a wheel stud. Easy fix.

Congrats to you too!:beer: Glad to hear you made the weekend with only minor issues, that seems to be the thing that makes my weekends the best:lol1:

I bought a 428R a couple of weeks ago. If I sneak it into the paddock, suppose we could swap it for one of the GS cars? Think anyone would notice?

Why would you want to? The 428R makes more power:( The GS car might be a bit lighter though;-)

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Lighter, more practical...
435 hp on the street is pretty worthless.
I could at least race the GS car!

Yeah, that's true, I'd still take the 428R and open track it even if it was choosing between the two. I couldn't afford to race the GS car, especially competitively!:-D

BTW isn't it a 427R? At least that's what the decals on our cars are;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread