Mustang hit by idiots...

wht93gted

Established Member
updated: Mustang hit by idiots.

Car is a 98, perfect condition, never in rain, snow, etc.

This past Tuesday it's a beautiful night, low 80's, nice weather. So I decided to take the car for a little cruise to pick up some dinner.

I just picked up the police report today, so I'll let it do the speaking.
NOTE: I'm vehicle #2, the idiots are vehicle #1 and I've edited out the non-important things like roads.
Both were in the right lane. Both had stopped for a red traffic light. As the traffic signal turned green, both vehicles began to move forward. Vehicle #1 operator was putting a cup into the cup holder while moving forward and impacted the rear of vehicle #2 causing damage.

No one was hurt, and the damage isn't too severe. It basically just pushed in the rear bumper and it popped back out. So all the clear coat is cracked, and some paint chipped off. It just kills me because the car was so perfect. It's also laser red (E9) color which is notorious for fading (which I'm hoping is minimal since the car has been garaged forever), but they're going to have to blend the paint into the 1/4's and trunk so it looks right.

It really just ticks me off. Oh well; I'm done ranting.

UPDATE: The other drivers insurance finally got back to me and they accepted full liability. Now I just need to meet their adjuster at some shop next Tuesday. 2 weeks without driving my car sucks; it's driveable, I just don't want to risk any additional damage. To top it off, when I pulled it out of the garage last Sunday to take pictures it wouldn't start. When it did start, it wouldn't idle. I think she's upset. I had to keep it idle high for about 20 seconds then it cleared up and ran fine.

UPDATE 2: The insurance battle has commenced.

Their assessor estimate was about HALF of private estimates I've gotten. Had he been close, say a hundred or two away, I would've said fine and just taken the money. However, like I said, he wasn't even in the ball park. He told me they don't cover blending bumpers into quarter panels or fenders (because I asked; he said something like "The paint adheres differently so we dont cover blending". Ok so you'll half-ass it...cool), they only give $46/hour because it's some national average, and he didn't take into account that the factory paint is 3-stage and is a longer paint process (this can add an additional 2 hours in most estimates I've gotten). His estimate for time was 2.3 hours of body work, and 3.2 hours of "refinish" which I assume is all the painting; total labor 5.5 hours.

The average of private estimates has been roughly 4-5 hours labor/body, and 4-5 hours of paint. He also didn't include any costs for paint supplies & body supplies. Things like tape, filters, sand paper, filler, etc...shop supplies and things they charge for.

Now I'm just waiting for the adjuster to call back...I've already had to take 2 half days because of this. Today I drove 30 minutes each way to meet with the assessor. They should be coming to my house.

Last edited:

wht93gted

Established Member
dont claim it on insurance... gonna screw up the cars record.

I'm not super savy on insurance and how it works. Even though the car was perfect, it already has a blemish from many years ago. The front was hit in a parking lot. Only repairs needed were 1 new fender, paint.

At first I was going to use my collision and just let my company get the money back and reimburse me. But my body guy said absolutely not to do that. So today I called their insurance and started a claim with them.

The body guy I plan to use told me they'll have an adjuster look at it and give a repair estimate. I can then get a few local estimates just to make sure it's in line with what the adjuster says. If it is, they'll cut me a check for the repairs and be done with it. If there's too much of a discrepancy, I'll have the repair estimates to haggle with him about.

This is honestly my first time dealing with insurance companies in the 10+ years I've been driving *knock on wood*

Sage2k

Established Member
ask for 1200$ for deminished value and another 500$ for wasting your time (dropping car off, finding a ride, picking car up, etc)

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Why the hell were you driving so slow? You were in a mustang bro and you let someone PIIYB.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
With the accidents reported here over the past week with major damage, yours is sigh of relief. Thankfully it wasn't worse and thankfully nobody was injured. I'm sure your shop will have it looking pristine again.

wht93gted

Established Member
UPDATE: The other drivers insurance finally got back to me and they accepted full liability. Now I just need to meet their adjuster at some shop next Tuesday. 2 weeks without driving my car sucks; it's driveable, I just don't want to risk any additional damage. To top it off, when I pulled it out of the garage last Sunday to take pictures it wouldn't start. When it did start, it wouldn't idle. I think she's upset. I had to keep it idle high for about 20 seconds then it cleared up and ran fine.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Im starting to become a pro at dealing with getting hit living in NC. Ive been hit twice 100% not my fault so far in the 4 years ive been living here.

wht93gted

Established Member
:bash: :bash: :bash:

carfax doesnt get their info from insurance companys normally... they get it from police reports.

I have the police report anyway. But I'll just hang onto the insurance estimate and I took plenty of pictures. It may not help, but if I ever sold the car I'd be more than willing to show the people it was literally cracked/chipped paint. Not trying to hide anything. It may not matter and they may not care, and the value will still suffer...but I don't plan on non "car guy" type people buying this car anyway. Meaning, if I were buying this car and saw it on the report, but then saw detailed info about what it was...I would be more likely to not really care.

Now if I saw a salvage title or something like that...it's another story.

Last edited:

wht93gted

Established Member
UPDATE #3: The insurance battle has commenced.

Their assessor estimate was about HALF of private estimates I've gotten. Had he been close, say a hundred or two away, I would've said fine and just taken the money. However, like I said, he wasn't even in the ball park. He told me they don't cover blending bumpers into quarter panels or fenders (because I asked; he said something like "The paint adheres differently so we dont cover blending". Ok so you'll half-ass it...cool), they only give $46/hour because it's some national average, and he didn't take into account that the factory paint is 3-stage and is a longer paint process (this can add an additional 2 hours in most estimates I've gotten). His estimate for time was 2.3 hours of body work, and 3.2 hours of "refinish" which I assume is all the painting; total labor 5.5 hours.

The average of private estimates has been roughly 4-5 hours labor/body, and 4-5 hours of paint. He also didn't include any costs for paint supplies & body supplies. Things like tape, filters, sand paper, filler, etc...shop supplies and things they charge for.

Now I'm just waiting for the adjuster to call back...I've already had to take 2 half days because of this. Today I drove 30 minutes each way to meet with the assessor. They should be coming to my house.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
don't accept their offer... go through your own insurance and have them go after them. either that or say no and take them to court. 9 times out of 10 they will settle.

tistan

Established Member
$46 an hours sounds about right for paint and body time, it isn't the same rate as mechanic time. My friend owns a paint and body shop, and he charges $45 hour for paint and body, and $90 for anything mechanical.

wht93gted

Established Member
don't accept their offer... go through your own insurance and have them go after them. either that or say no and take them to court. 9 times out of 10 they will settle.
I want to avoid my own insurance because it'll go on my policy then as a claim with payment and my premiums will increase.

WOW $46.00 an hour. Crap its close to $100.00 per hour around here and thats the cheapest. Again WOW.
$46 an hours sounds about right for paint and body time, it isn't the same rate as mechanic time. My friend owns a paint and body shop, and he charges $45 hour for paint and body, and $90 for anything mechanical.

Most shops were getting around $50/hour from local estimates I got.
I wasn't so much annoyed with the price as I was with the time. I feel like there's 0 possibility of them doing a great 3-stage paint job on my bumper in the 5 hours of labor he allotted for the whole job (removal, sanding, prepping, painting, re-installing). I say "great" job because my car was in great condition and I refuse to accept anything less.

I know they make a 2-stage version of E9 for repair jobs and no way in hell will I allow that. I want it matched, blended, and perfect.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They accepted full liability. You have the right to have your car properly fixed to your satisfaction. Definitely get a couple of estimates from good body/paint shops. Tell hem if they refuse to accept your shop quotes you'll take them to court. Wouldn't hurt to discuss this with your agent, just to help you do the right thing.

Too bad you didn't visit your doctor to be sure your back/neck is fine after getting tapped from behind. That would have insured this insurance company got this settled to your satisfaction promptly. Been there; done that. I had a legitimate neck sprain and the other insurance company was quick to settle out of court.

Users who are viewing this thread