Mustang gt or bmw 1m

ridingt

Established Member
Figured I would get your guys opinion on this even though it might be biased. I currently have a 2011 Gt but am looking at getting a new BMW 1M, I have secured the only allocation for the car that my dealer is getting. They are paying off the Gt to so I come out clean on that. Now it does have a little less horsepower stock but it weighs almost 500 lbs less and can easily achieve 430+ whp with minor mods. The main thing for me is that I don't think I will run into another one on the street and it pulls .98 on the skid pad. I am thinking worse case I might've able to make some money on the car with its limited production. So what are your guys opinion on this.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
the 1m costs $20k more than a mustang GT. i'm sure it is a great car, but that is a pretty big jump in price....

kevinp

Established Member
I recently sold my 2011 M3, which MSRP'd almost 3x about as much this base GT. It was most definitely 'worth' the extra cost as far as build quality and gadgets but it really was kind of a boring car. The m3 around town was a bit of a dog unless you opened it up and shifted at at 7000-8000rpm, sounds like you are street racing from every stoplight. Sounds great to me but some others, especially police, dont get the whole 'you have to rev it to at 7000rpm to stay with traffic' line. The 1M will have the opposite, lots of low end grunt but I bet it peters out pretty quick if its like any of the 335s I drove. It will certainly feel fast though, and of course mods wont hurt (except your warranty if you get caught).

It really depends what you are after, the BMW is no maintenance costs, and they really really frown on ANY mods. You dont want to be stuck paying for repairs yourself on them, everything is overly complicated and expensive. But looking underneath, under the hood and in places most normal people dont look the BMW has a great fit and finish, every wire is routed nicely, every fastener seems engineered and thought of and it looks like whoever screwed the car together really cared. Thats a lot of what you are paying for right there, some people like that, some people cant wait to put a gear and drag radials on their new mustang and see what it runs and can care less if there is some velcro holding interior parts on. I thought the curb weight on the 1M was 3350lbs with a full tank of fuel, that puts it ~250lbs less than a GT (3512 empty).

BMW purists say the 1M will be the 'real' sports car like the M3 was years ago. But for now there is a lot of speculation. One thing for sure is you probably wont 'make' any money, you may lose less but I doubt you will make anything, BMW is known to have first year issues plus like any other car they will boost options in the coming years so people buy them new.

If you dont have to pay any markup it may be cool to be the first one on the block with one though. The M3 is a really hyped up car by the mags, dont get me wrong its a great car, but 'best car ever' according to the press made me expect more out of it. And naturally owners claim they are the best car ever as well, so sometimes you just have to buy one and find out for yourself.

ViciousJay

Established Member
i sold my e46 M3 for the GT and havent loked back, even in stock form the GT is polished all around better...

ridingt

Established Member
The allocation I will get is around July. They are only producing the car for one year in the us. I came out of a 135 before I got the mustang so I am really missing the instant torque of that motor. Right now I am torn though will have to make up my mind eventually though.

GTtoSVT

Established Member
I had a 135i prior to my 11 GT and I loved it. Still, l am not sure they corrected the fuel system issues for the 1M. I would love to have a 1M and keep my stang! No way im parting with my Kona baby...

Good Luck with your decision
-Brian

kirbyg16

Established Member
The allocation I will get is around July. They are only producing the car for one year in the us. I came out of a 135 before I got the mustang so I am really missing the instant torque of that motor. Right now I am torn though will have to make up my mind eventually though.
I drove my friends 135 and I don't get how you are saying that it had more instant torque than you're gt unless you are driving an auto gt without any rear gear options and then I can see it. But my 3.73's in mine make the gt feel a hell of a lot more powerful. Like someone else said about a different BMW I felt like I really had to rev his car out for it to feel "fun"
I do however love the fit and finish of the BMW though. So I can see where you are torn there.

ridingt

Established Member
Kirby I was talking about the torque of my modified 135 not sure if your bodies was moded at all, mine was putting 450 to the wheels. But I do only have 3.31 in the mustang but it is a six speed.

kirbyg16

Established Member
Kirby I was talking about the torque of my modified 135 not sure if your bodies was moded at all, mine was putting 450 to the wheels. But I do only have 3.31 in the mustang but it is a six speed.

His was completely stock. So I can see what you are saying now and the 3.73's vs 3.31 really do make a huge difference in the seat of the pants meter in the mustang imo

cobra916

Established Member
the 1m is a sick car vs top of the line mustang gt... id take the bimmer no doubt.. but a mustang should relativity cheap.. so id stick with low model gt's if id go with the stang... but in the end it wil come down to preference..also dont ever look at a car as an investment because the 1m wont be rare enough to make money.

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
Wife had a 330ci now drives a 2011 328i. Drove a 335 turbo and it was quick, That being said I'm not that impressed with BMW but that's my opinion. If I was going to replace my mustang with a "higher end car" I would opt for a CTS-V!!!

Users who are viewing this thread