Mustang Bugs

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
So I got rid of the EGR, SAI, and DPFE on the Mustang two days ago (emissions controls), took her out for a drive and everything went well other small exhaust leaks from where the sensors bung into the headers.

Went to start her up yesterday and the starter would just click once and not turn over, and the electrical system appeared to be dying and would kill itself after I turned the key. If I continued to turn the key it would do nothing, no AC, no lights, etc. I thought this was odd since there was no reason for the battery to have died so I jumped it and it started no problem. Took it out to get gas and to a friends house, a little later jumped in and the starter did the same one click and then dead electrical system. After fiddling with the battery ground and waiting a few minutes to vent (but not really doing anything) I got back in and it started no problem. I took it home, disconnected the battery and let it sit over night. Plugged it securely back in today and the same problem occurs, one start click, and the electrical system sounds like it's bugging out.

If I press the door locks on the key fob the lock solenoids switch to machine gun full auto and cycle 4-5 times for no apparent reason. I can't figure out what would be doing this after disconnecting seemingly unrelated emissions sensors, and why specifically it starts perfectly fine sporadically. Even more puzzling is the fact that I drove it immediately after working on it to make sure all was well and she ran like a top. Any ideas?

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
Update, I just went out to toy with it for a bit and the Anti-Theft control module in the trunk is clicking like there's no tomorrow. I think I might have angered the PATS gremlin for some reason and that it has disabled my vehicle. Is there any way to reset the system?

Would taking the battery entirely out help?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Is the "Theft" like flashing faster than normal?

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
I sorted it out. I think the PATS freaked on me for whatever reason.

I disconnected the battery entirely, went to the trunk and disconnected the PATS, connected battery again, tried to start the car which didn't work (but the AC came on), hooked up the PATS and she started right up.

Hopefully this took care of the problem entirely.

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
Well the same problem showed up again tonight. I think my PATS system is the main cause but I just need to figure out what is wrong with it. Does anyone have any input on the PATS and common things that go wrong with it so I can try to figure out how big my problem is

When the car won't start the THEFT light is flashing like crazy and when I turn the key it kills all power to the car. The anti-theft unit in the trunk clicks erratically for a few minutes and when it stop I try and start the car and the whole problem starts over again. To get the car started again I disconnect the unit, then the battery, then reconnect the battery, and then the unit again and it starts.

I'm at a loss at the moment guys...

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i'm having so much trouble figuring out all these abbreviations. would you guys just tell me what they all are so i won't look stupid anymore?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
PATS="Passive Anti-Theft System": makes sure the car won't start without the correct key.
EGR-"Exhaust Gas Recirculation": recirculates exhaust gas to cool combustion to reduce NOx emissions.
SAI="Secondary Air Injection" Add oxygen to the exhaust at startup to get the cats to heat up faster to reduce strartup emissions.
DPFE="Differential Pressure For EGR": A sensor that helps the PCM to know when to turn on the EGR system.

chinchilla

Established Member
i had a very similar problem with my car, my alarm would freak out for no reason and do the exact starter clicking your describing, All that was wrong was i needed a new negative terminal. It fixed it and i have not had a problem since.

Link: Battery Terminals by Autocraft - Part 6280781 - Advance Auto Parts

I also thought it was my PATS and litterally pulled everything out of the car and went over it before the battery thing, waste of time.

Good luck getting it fixed.

Last edited:

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
You know, I had a sneaking suspicion that some of my problem was attributed to my negative terminal. It's a POS, and I have made plans to change it eventually... I will look into this first.

Thanks Chinchilla!

chinchilla

Established Member
No problem, mine looked pretty corroded but it took me forever to think that was a problem, hope it works out for ya.

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
I put a new battery terminal on the negative side and it appears to have solved the problem. I had a feeling that the old terminal was causing a few electrical problems so switching it out was probably necessary. If the problem arises again I will definitely bump this thread because I won't be happy.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Let us know if you have other problems. The THEFT light flashing rapidly is usually a bad sign.

chinchilla

Established Member
glad it worked out for you. since i did that i haven't had one problem, that was about 2 months ago.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I had this problem with my car, and experienced all of the symptoms you described.

I wound up having to replace my battery, as it was dead and wouldn't hold a charge, but ironically enough my negative terminal was complete rubbish too. I've had no problems since replacing the battery and the new negative terminal fits much better.

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
Spent all day bumming around town today and not a one problem. I did blow a fuse for my High Speed Fan Switch when I turned my A/C on though... no biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread