Must read oil thread

Cobra'03

Established Member
I'm back for a few minutes. Some of you old timers may recall how i have posted that the new hydro-isomerized Group III oils were nearly as good as full synthetics?

Here is an excellent article.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=533

Table 1 stinks, though. There are many Group III oils out there, including Pennzoil and Valvoline. It proves once and for all though that Syntec is not a true GIV, which i also posted.

So while I still hold Castrol responsible for dumbing down the word synthetic, the good news is that the Group III products may be all the lubricant you need, specially if long-drain intervals are not in your maintenance lexicon.

Hi to all my old Pals on here: Jimmy V, The Amazonian, Lynn, Matt, the guys at Mustang Magic, etc.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the info. I've always said synthetics are overkill if you're changing your oil every 2,000 miles. That said, I use synthetic Amsoil. Go figure!
:p

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
thanks for the link. Everytime I change the oil I say I am going to put in synthetic, but I always end up buying the stock stuff again. I dont know what I am waiting for :shrug:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by KevinJKD
thanks for the link. Everytime I change the oil I say I am going to put in synthetic, but I always end up buying the stock stuff again. I dont know what I am waiting for :shrug:
But you're saving money for those mods! LOL!

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
lol, there we go!

The stock stuff should be fine for now. I don't hot lap the car. I always let it cool down after a 1/4 run. But I still want to switch to synthetic soon.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
If Cobra'03 says an article is a must read, it probably is a must read...

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
as usual, everything cobra'03 says is pretty much law

thanks man!

Totally agree. Nice to see you back slummin' with Cobra'03.....BO

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
Quick question, I am switching to synthetic tomorrow and I was wondering if Amsoil 0w30 is a good choice for those of us who live in warmer climates? It's not unusual for us to hit 105+ here during the summer months, and our winters rarely see temps below 40 degrees. Anyhow, I thought I'd chime in and see what our resident oil deity has to say :-D TIA!

Weasel

Established Member
I'd go for the 5w30. I use the 0w30 because it gets so damn cold here.

Mike

Weasel

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Thanks for the info. I've always said synthetics are overkill if you're changing your oil every 2,000 miles. That said, I use synthetic Amsoil. Go figure!
:p

I'm with you Bob. I change mine every 3K, so extended usage isn't the issue for me. I use synthetic for its superior lubricating characteristics.

Mike

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Originally posted by CHeRNoBYL
Quick question, I am switching to synthetic tomorrow and I was wondering if Amsoil 0w30 is a good choice for those of us who live in warmer climates? It's not unusual for us to hit 105+ here during the summer months, and our winters rarely see temps below 40 degrees. Anyhow, I thought I'd chime in and see what our resident oil deity has to say :-D TIA!

I asked the same question to a Ford Engineer (R Burnett on the NVMC board)

He suggested 10w30 oil for my area (VA)

He did say that the 0w30 (which I'm now using) would work too, but hoped I didn't pay much more for it. He said the 0w would give a really slight edge in cold starting, not enough to worry about in this area, but would lose a slight amount (not enough to worry about either) of high temperature protection.

When I'm done with my case of 0w, I'll go with 10w30 Amsoil, on his and '03cobra's recommendation.

The one thing everyone agrees on is the 30w designation on the hot side.

One other thing he mentioned was that the 0w oils were designed for smaller engines, not necessarily for autos. He looked at Amsoil's specs, and said that it was suitable for automotive use.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Here is what R Burnett had to say, it's on this thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63521&highlight=amsoil

R Burnett:

Be careful with 0w oils. Some are formulated for small engines and should not be used in automobiles. Amsoil is the only one I know of that us formulated for automotive. The specs for the Amsoil 0w-30 are almost the same as their 5w-30 and in Virginia weather you won´t get any more protection than 10w-30 Amsoil. It won´t hurt, but don´t pay alot extra for it.

And...

If you are comparing 0w-30 Amsoil to 10w-30 Amsoil you get a little better severe cold weather startup protection with the 0w, but you sacrifice a very small amount of high temp wear protection (not enough to really worry about). Because the improved cold startup protection is at very low temperatures (in the range of -20) it is a bit of overkill in Virginia. Don't worry about it too much - both are very good oils.

Weasel

Established Member
Thanks for the info Eaton, that's good to know.

Mike

adamb258

Established Member
What about in texas? sorry i have a mach now but i still like to browse these boards

Cobra'03

Established Member
Hi Guys! It aint slummin - I have made a lot of good online friends here, and for the most part always been treated well. There are many more crybabies and 19 yr old "hate posters" on the www.s2ki.com site - but also a lot of very knowledgeable car people, and many from Europe and Australia and Asia. BTW, the big debate is whether Honda "softened" the car when it stroked it to 2.2L (it didn't). There is some evidence that the MY04's are making more power (18-26) but no conclusive dynoing to confirm. There is definetly more punch down low. Of couyrse, compared to the Cobra it is like a getting hit by your sister punch.

But there is something about light weight - I am getting an Amuse Titanium exhaust that weighs 8 pounds! Compared to 50+ for the stock unit - not much power gain though. That will put the car well under 2800 pounds. It costs $2000 ouch!

Let me hit a couple of queries in one post:

1) I agree that 10w30 is a better pick, Chernobyl for where you live. You do not need the low temp flow rate, and a 10w30 is more stable. The 0w30 Series 2000 Amsoil is a great oil, but very pricey for frequent oil changes.

2) Re: the Ford GT. I still have the deposit, but I am quite sure the dealer will not honor the MSRP. Now that the price has escalated, I am not sure I would take it, unless I was sure I could resell it.

3) I am having a blast with my little "girlie" car - these things really are great fun to drive, and on a tight course, could blast past the Cobra in the corners, and also out brake it for trailbraking high entry speeds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread