MT82 gearbox problems

Splatter

Established Member
Hi everyone. I am having problems with my 2012 Boss 302's gearbox. After a drive up a hill using only 3rd and 4th, I was unable to to get into 5th with out a hideous crunch. Only slowing to 40km/hr was I able to engage 5th. The car has only 6000km on it.

From what I have been reading the MT82 is rated at 382 Ft/lbs of torque (can anyone confirm?). That seems awfully close to the boss torque numbers. So if it was a slow Monday in China the getrag MT82 comes out at 378 Ft/lbs and fails??

I find the car absolutely fabulous except for the fact the gearbox stinks. I have a MGW shifter on the way but not sure that is going to do anything (ordered it before the 5th gear crunch).

Is the only real solution a Tremec T56 magnum?? But that means Clutch, drive shaft etc an some US$5000 extra. How could Ford make some thing so good and then stick a weak gearbox on it???

2012 red Boss 302 in Chile.

Konaboss302

Funtime!!!
Established Member
The 5th gear synchro went out on mine at 4100 miles... It's a known issue with Ford. They'll fix it under warranty and the new shifter definitely helps it not happen again (I think) but being in Chile it might be difficult to get the work done. I'm in the states and it still took them over a month to get the parts they needed.

86Fbody

Established Member
Just because it is rated at 382 doesn't mean anything slightly over that will fail it. But yes everyone wonders why they didn't the TR6060 in it since that's what they use in the 302S.

Splatter

Established Member
not just bad driving

I have always driven manual cars, a 140hp Golf mk1, Alfa 75TS, alfa 164 and a BMW 540, all manual. None ever gave any grief, still driving two of them (200K km on the bmw). One clutch and no tranny issues ever. Not easy with alfas. Great car to learn how to shift in!!

The more I read the more I am convinced that the only solution for me is a T56 magnum. Cant get a warranty because I imported the car direct to Chile (its a Ford right, what can go wrong)!!??.... and reading horror stories of a Ford fix consisting of welding the gear teath back on (almost hard to believe).

At least the T 56 will give me piece of mind that the gearbox will keep me company for years to come with out long layups.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Is the only real solution a Tremec T56 magnum??
No, but it is the most cost effective solution.

Have you changed the trans fluid yet? Before dumping a lot of money into a new trans, try swapping to the redline MTL fluid along with the MGW shifter.

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
I love the 6060..they should have put it in the Boss....My Shelby made 1200rwhp and I never broke one. Burnt a couple of bearings up, but never broke a gear and it always shift like butter!! The car went 9.38 in street trim.

Splatter

Established Member
Talked to the Redline rep here in Chile and he told me he would love to sell me the MTL but its not as good as the oil thats in hte box?? any comments, my shop would not change teh oil on the redline guys advice... I am almost certain that the syncro is already gone on 5th. Which is rather strange since its one of the gears with the softest use. If I ever crunched a gear its was 3rd at high rpm, not 5th

If the syncro is gone then have to pull the box any way and thats making the T 56 sound better already. Dont want to keep loosing car time and money repeating the same mistake. I have heard that there are MT82 rebuilds that have been corrected and running fine, I any one has any info? could be another option

On the T56, since the gears are much taller then the MT82, would you guys recommend the 4:10 rear end to compensate??

Cheers to all!

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
I would love swap a 6060 in my boss. The stock trans is junk. I drove my buddies 2012 gt500 and it was much better.

Wildman113

Established Member
Seems a lot of the problems with the MT82 are related to the stock shifter wearing poorly, resulting in imprecise gear engagement, gear clash, and other shifting problems.

Please let us know how it shifts after installing the MGW. It may resolve at least some of the shifting issues.

NJSP117

Established Member
I would love swap a 6060 in my boss. The stock trans is junk. I drove my buddies 2012 gt500 and it was much better.

Agreed...the 6060 should have been in the Boss from the start...weird thinking on Ford's part. Can't be too much cost savings there....

Swetrid

Established Member
I had an issue with grinding 5th gear in my car until I swapped to a Steeda shifter. Never ground it again. I must say though there is a learning curve with this trans. I have had 40+ cars over the years and I have ground more gears in this car in the first 6 months then every other combined.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Just because it is rated at 382 doesn't mean anything slightly over that will fail it. But yes everyone wonders why they didn't the TR6060 in it since that's what they use in the 302S.

It came down to cost..tremec would not agree to Fords price to build them for the 5.0s. The reason the shelby still gets them is because there rated for the higher tq the shelby puts out.

kbroush

Established Member
It would have been nice if they put the tremec in them. I plan on an MGW and will go from there. Hopefuly that fixes any issues I may have in the future as well.

86Fbody

Established Member
It came down to cost..tremec would not agree to Fords price to build them for the 5.0s. The reason the shelby still gets them is because there rated for the higher tq the shelby puts out.

That is unfortunate, I would have prefered to pay a few more thousand on this car to get a good trans rather then the MT82, though I will probably go the same route as others and do a Magnum swap.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Installed an MGW in my Boss the day after picking it up and never had shifting or grinding issues. My problems didn't start till the horsepower doubled and I started breaking input shafts and other large internal metal bits. :p

Btw, a high horsepower Boss with a 6R80 trans is insanely fun to drive. :banana:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
That is unfortunate, I would have prefered to pay a few more thousand on this car to get a good trans rather then the MT82, though I will probably go the same route as others and do a Magnum swap.

i agree an so do many others. the biggest problem is the MT82 is in all there 211 up from V6 to GT to Boss, since there was such a small number of bosses made ford was not gonna pay the extra cost to have a special made tremec an Slave that fits the 5.0 boss only

86Fbody

Established Member
Btw, a high horsepower Boss with a 6R80 trans is insanely fun to drive. :banana:

I can only imagine, the only thing I don't like about that combo of high HP and Boss is the auto trans, just don't like not being able to control gears. Now if it was sequential that would be a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread