MT82/Any manual guys in the low 10s/9s?

Quad4_72

Established Member
I am aware there are some, I was just curious to see the setups of some of those guys who have been able to get those times on MT82 or any other sort of manual transmission. Right now my near term goal is to go low 10s with my manual car so I would love to see what other guys have done to make that happen. I don't mean to start a manual vs auto thread either. I am well, well aware that auto is faster. I almost went with an auto swap actually. But I decided it would be much more unique to have a manual car that can make it there. Doing it on an auto does not seem too difficult from what I have seen. Add power adder, slicks, hit the gas, low tens or 9s ftw lol.

Quad4_72

Established Member
Haha thanks! Yeah I actually read through that one and was hoping to get some others to post in this one as well to see some of the different setups.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Problem is you have to be SO hard on the car to get there with a manual.

To get acceptable 60' times (which is mandatory for a 9 or 10 sec slip) you have to absolutely act like you hate your car during the launch.

Hero times are just so much easier w/auto.

That said... i love my manual and will likely never switch. :)

Quad4_72

Established Member
Problem is you have to be SO hard on the car to get there with a manual.

To get acceptable 60' times (which is mandatory for a 9 or 10 sec slip) you have to absolutely act like you hate your car during the launch.

Hero times are just so much easier w/auto.

That said... i love my manual and will likely never switch. :)

Yeah that's a good point. Have to dump the clutch at high rpm, hook with slicks, and hope the tranny doesn't brake :/

pierce88

Established Member
Go check out the facebook Groups. There is a bunch of guys now in the Mid to High 10s with Cobra Jet Setups and e85.

I know for a Fact the White and the Silver cars are Mt-82 Cobra Jet Setups (The 2 on the same line in the picture).

Really impressive considering there is no F/I.

Not sure if they are on here at all but there is 3 Rev Auto tuned MT-82 Cars with Cobra Jet Setups now in the 10s.

Rev. Auto 10sec.jpg

-Pierce

Last edited:

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I believe someone actually went 9.4's with a turbo/mt82 setup. There is only a handful of people in the 9.8-10.3 range with the mt82 and thats why i was a bit excited running low 10s.

Your car is nose heavy and running lowering springs. Youre going to want to switch to a drag oriented spring, adjustible shocks and struts, WOT box to keep the turbo spooling, and slicks.

My car going 138mph is at 7200rpm in 4th gear with 3.31s on 28x10.5 slicks. A radial car going the same mph may be at 7300-7400rpm due to the lack of tire growth.

Quad4_72

Established Member
I believe someone actually went 9.4's with a turbo/mt82 setup. There is only a handful of people in the 9.8-10.3 range with the mt82 and thats why i was a bit excited running low 10s.

Your car is nose heavy and running lowering springs. Youre going to want to switch to a drag oriented spring, adjustible shocks and struts, WOT box to keep the turbo spooling, and slicks.

My car going 138mph is at 7200rpm in 4th gear with 3.31s on 28x10.5 slicks. A radial car going the same mph may be at 7300-7400rpm due to the lack of tire growth.

Thanks for the advice man! Yeah your time is awesome I hope to get there too. Those suggestions will be my next purchases then :). I plan on going with the Viking double adjustable shocks and then I am not too sure what to get for the struts and springs for a drag oriented. car....and I already have an MSD two step for the launch if that is what you are referring to with the WOT box.

Justin81

Established Member
I'm not sure I heard this mentioned but I think the Clutch should be an underlying factor when discussing making an MT-82 car print 9 second slips.

Users who are viewing this thread