Msd bankruptcy

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
They need to start making go fast parts for Hybrids and look more at E85 market. The big carb days are history.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I heard this news last week. Sad news, but hopefully they'll pull through.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I heard this news last week. Sad news, but hopefully they'll pull through.

As I heard the high HP cars at the Desoto race track while my son at the lake I thought if that sound would be like describing a record player to my grandkids one day.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
What do they make that people use?

I can't think of a single msd product that I would use on a modern muscle or tuner car. If their market is to geriatrics still farting with big motors and carbs then they made their own grave.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
^^^^ - They are the only ones i know that can turn a Ford GT's COP into a CDI

Pro Mag 44's are needed for blown alcohol motors too....

if you are not goin over 200 mph then this would be of no concern to you :rollseyes

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Didn't they go on a buying frenzy a few years back? Probably shoulda skipped that.

the list of companies they own is huge and many of them appear to be shitty...like super chips custom tuning (whatever the hell theyre called now, pretty sure that changed again...not to be confused with sct). The bankruptcy information we've gotten (we service one of those little companies they run) and it looks like they were 1) restructuring the loans they took out to buy these companies and 2) trying to sell off a bunch of them. Sounds to me like theyre trying to get rid of all that crap

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
What do they make that people use?

I can't think of a single msd product that I would use on a modern muscle or tuner car. If their market is to geriatrics still farting with big motors and carbs then they made their own grave.

The problem is the last owners bought a whole bunch of other companies. Mostly tuner crap like superchips and edge.
The diesel market is hard now with all the big fines the Gov is looking to hand out to tuner/DEF/EGR delete makers.

Fact is, had the kept making just the parts for the geriatrics as you call it they would probably be just fine.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I know they have been around for a long time but I have never owned a single product they make. I always thought their ignition box looked ugly under the hood on cars, too big.

brucesvt

Established Member
Just heard about this today really sad for local company to be going thru this. but hopefully they get thru this and come out better.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I know they have been around for a long time but I have never owned a single product they make. I always thought their ignition box looked ugly under the hood on cars, too big.

I've probably owned 10 different ignition systems.

That included all the little things too, pills, 2-step, etc......

The geriatrics as someone calls it are plentyfull.

Thousands and thousands of bracket racers with 78 Camaros, 84 mustangs, 82 olds cutlass, etc....

Then you have hundreds and hundreds in each of like 8 divisions that the NHRA is divided into.
You have many "Stock classes"
Then the "Super" classes, SS,SG snd SC.
Super comp normally has about 150 dragsters at each division race.

MSD's market is big to the bracket/division racers, not to the street guys who go to the track a couple times a year.
Or to the newer model cars.

We mount the boxes inside the car and not under the hood.
Who cares about a passanger when you gut the interior? lol

flS/R

Established Member
I wonder if the chinese company which makes the (cheap) imitations of the msd will suffer as well :shrug:

sad day when a long standing company goes under, hopefully they pull through

Monster Mach

Established Member
We run them in our circle track car as they are the only ones to stand by their ignition boxes and make a damn good product

G04cobra

Established Member
As I former owner of a handful of 5.0's, I always had an MSD cap and rotor and an ignition coil on all my foxes. I hope they pull through.

Users who are viewing this thread