mrt catted H pipes?

Lthl Venom 03

give me more boost!
Established Member
i've heard a lot of talk about the Mrt H pipes lately... and i was about to buy a bassani X.... so before i do that....

whats so good about the mrt H pipes? pros and cons over a bassani X? i assume they sound nicer at the least? :shrug:

oh and what does MRT stand for and where can i get them?

Last edited:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
First off i'll say, the mrt h-pipe is a very nice piece.
Very easy to install(atleast was to me).
Now for the bad news.....I also have borla stingers, the borla stinger+mrt h-pipe combo is very nice, loud, sounds like a nascar honestly but for some reason "some" people get this nasty raspy sound at low rpm's(i'm one of those people) some say they don't get it at all and love it, so i guess it's a 50/50 deal:shrug:
I'm taking my borlas off and putting my flows back on and it should be kick @$$ imo but not as loud(which is ok with me honestly).
So what it comes down to is, depending on the catback you have the mrt can be very nice, this is only my opinion.
If you need vids/sound clips just post your email and i'll send you some......hope this helps.

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Originally posted by svtang03
i've heard a lot of talk about the Mrt H pipes lately... and i was about to buy a bassani X.... so before i do that....

whats so good about the mrt H pipes? pros and cons over a bassani X? i assume they sound nicer at the least? :shrug:

oh and what does MRT stand for and where can i get them?
Rumor is h pipes sound better with a chambered muffler, x pipes sound better with a straight through design. H pipes give you more low end power, and x pipes really excel up top. Either way exhaust preference is up to you. MRT stands for mustang racing technology. You can get it at www.ninosport.com www.mustangracing.com www.mustangx.com I have the catted version couple with a stinger cat back it sounds amazing. It really explodes at WOT. BTW what cat back are you going to get?

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Great pipe, sounds good, felt like I got a power gain. Mkae sure you get a 3rd generation pipe, because if you get a 2nd gen like mine you will probably have leaks :(

I would personally get the catted version, you arent losing much power and it sounds much better IMO (none of the 1960 chevy pickup sound).

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Kaboom, you ever going to make us a video so we can hear what your borla+mrt sounds like?
I'd love to hear it and make sure you do a cold start/low rpm taping, i've never got to hear how good it's suppost to sound(not joking either, being for real).
I should have a flow+mrt video by this weekend, we can compair:D

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Pro Chambers but they don't have cats.
As far as i know the MRT is the only catted h-pipe we have right now but i could be wrong.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Kaboom, i was reading a post last night talking about the bolts connecting the mrt to the catback, make sure when you tightin them it didn't reach the end of the thread, i checked mine today and sure enough i needed to add washers, i added 4 extra washers per bolt, still didn't help my problem but i did try to see if it helped.

kaboom

Established Member
Originally posted by CastIronMan
Kaboom, you ever going to make us a video so we can hear what your borla+mrt sounds like?
I'd love to hear it and make sure you do a cold start/low rpm taping, i've never got to hear how good it's suppost to sound(not joking either, being for real).
I should have a flow+mrt video by this weekend, we can compair:D
Does yours only frap when cold??

Lthl Venom 03

give me more boost!
Established Member
well my email addy .com so feel free to send all you want :-D

i have a flowmaster catback on right now. think the H pipe would sound better than a bassani X?

so does it bolt right on? and castironman lemme know when u put ur video up

i just read that it adds 9rwhp :??: thats it?? doesnt the bassani X add a lot more?

Last edited:

kaboom

Established Member
Originally posted by svtang03
well my email addy [email protected] so feel free to send all you want :-D

i have a flowmaster catback on right now. think the H pipe would sound better than a bassani X?

so does it bolt right on? and castironman lemme know when u put ur video up
Yes it bolts right on you might need a couple of washers to fill the thread from going to fart out:lol:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I'm one of the PRO Stinger/MRT H-pipe guys. love the sound. The unopinionated part of this combo is quality of both pieces is outstanding. I too, had to add additional washers to the H-pipe, no big deal. The opinionated part of this combo is up to you. You decide. Heres a small vid clip of this combo installed:

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/pasture/files/

vids 47 and 48

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Kaboom, as far as i can tell it's only when it's cold but don't hold me to that.
Seems like it only does it when i first take off but it at times seems to want to do it at low rpm's but stops right before making the awful sound.
I agree with everyone, it does sound good imo, i just can't stand the raspy sound, drives me crazy.
Oh btw, may as well throw the radio out because if it's as loud as mine is, i honestly can't hear the radio over the exhuast/SC anymore, before the mrt mid pipe i could still hear it, after the mrt, can't really hear it anymore, so if you're wondering if it's loud, thats pretty much an understatement.
When you see both the borla and mrt in person you'll understand, they're both made very well.
Oh yea, you also get a free $20 gift card, not much on their site to buy but they do have letter inserts for 18 bucks, so pretty much you get free letter inserts if you buy the mrt h-pipe:D
Btw, i sent the video

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
I also forgot to add, i made more power with flows then i did with the borla.
I believe 03snake said this was impossible but i have the dyno sheets to prove it, same dyno, same mods/tune, only difference was catback(borla vs flows) and the weather was different.
Imo if the weather woulda been the same for both setups, i still believe the flows woulda netted better numbers, i can't see 20 degree difference = almost a 40rwhp difference, my tuner said 20 degrees would = around a 2% lose, so don't let anyone tell you flows don't make the same amount or more power, it's 100% bullsh*t, i have videos and dyno sheets to show.
The only real difference between flows and borlas are borlas are loud and flows are not as loud but loud enough(did i say that right.....lmao)
Heres a link i did a while back http://my5minutes.com/index.php?cat=17 it's called "borla vs flows"
You can listen to both setups and see how they sound(all my friends like the flows best:shrug: )
Btw, the video in the link is CAI/Catback only(no mrt mid pipe) and a custom tune from RWTD......hope you enjoy.

2MuchHP

Established Member
Anyone who has vids or clips of the mrt-h and stingers PLEASE send them to [email protected] or send me the link I am very interested in the combp but am kind of nervous about these raspy incidents.

Have the stingers now with stock H and love them.

Users who are viewing this thread