Moving to R-comps... advice needed

BlackStripes

Established Member
Well, it's been several years, around 4 years tracking with street tires (200 UTQG).. I always loved the fact that i could just add some air, track the car and drive it back home... well...now, i want to play with my buddies (all instructors with Z06's).. i think a small tire-trailer might be the solution.

Of course, i have thoughts of going 18's (if i want 14" brakes later on) or stay 17's in the front ... or go 315's or 305's.. or what compound...:shrug:. I guess i will decide based of what kind of R-comp i want to go, and see availability of sizes:

So, going from street tires, did you go straight to some very grippy like V710's or went something in the middle like R888 (RA1) and a lot cheaper ?

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
for a first set of r-comps you don't need anything crazy, you will be amazed at how differently the car acts on just a set of 275mm r-comps
my first(and only set) of r-comps were a set of 275/40/17 avon tech R's(these are the cheap shitty r-comps just for reference), and I was thoroughly impressed with the feel of the car once they get some heat in em
I run the harbor freight utility trailer and it works great, the wheel bearings should last two seasons, and its only like 20 bucks for bearings for both sides. I just rebuilt the hubs with new bearings before I put the trailer away for the winter, one of the bearings was still good and the other failed because the grease fitting on the hub worked its way out and the bearing ran dry, combined with my 90 mph(trailer is rated to 55) run on that last hour stretch on the way out to gingerman because I was running late :)

David Hester

Established Member
We race on Hoosier R-6's since Goodyear isn't in the A/Sedan tire business anymore. Great grip, talk to you, don't last more than a couple of weekends.
I practice, qualify, race on a new set, then use them for practice the next race weekend and then new set to qualify, race, etc, ad nausem. $900 a set.
$5,000 + a year just on tires. Jeez and I'm just a club racer. Sometimes I have stretched a set to last 2 weekends if we just have a single race weekend. Most are doubles (practice/qualify/race Saturday- do it again Sunday). Others that are practice-qualify in the same session, then race, tires last a tad longer. Figure 4-5 cycles out of them.
I used Kumho Victoracer and V700 for years when I was just doing time trials and really liked them. Not as sticky as the V710, but a good tire.
I could run a season on 2 sets (and they weren't but like $450-$500 a set!!). >sigh< Good Ole Days.

I agree on the size thingy. We use 255 on a 16X8. 275-285 should do fine on a 9" rim.
Smaller rim-17" will rotate-slow quicker than an 18".......
Too wide a tire on the rim and you get side squirm and more heat- ie don't last as long before going off.
Several A/Sedan guys tried 275 because they would fit, but went back to 255's after a couple of races. (we can use any rim up to a 16X8 max)

Last edited:

Lumpydogs

Established Member
You will be amazed at how well the R-Compound tires work. In your case I would consider a less expensive r-compound tire that will have slightly less grip than a more expensive r-compound tire but last a few events instead of a few sessions.

Also, if you are going to run r-compound tires you need to consider an aftermarket road race style oil pan (i.e. Canton). These pans hold more oil volume and protect the pick up from running dry due to g-force sloshing.

Good Luck

BlackStripes

Established Member
I am probably going 315's square (or 305's), most likely on 10.5", since i want to go square, i can't do 11"s. And yes, i do have a Canton oil pan.

So far, i am thinking in VictorRacer (only 17's) or R888 (shaved of course).

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
We race on Hoosier R-6's since Goodyear isn't in the A/Sedan tire business anymore. Great grip, talk to you, don't last more than a couple of weekends.
I practice, qualify, race on a new set, then use them for practice the next race weekend and then new set to qualify, race, etc, ad nausem. $900 a set.
$5,000 + a year just on tires. Jeez and I'm just a club racer. Sometimes I have stretched a set to last 2 weekends if we just have a single race weekend. Most are doubles (practice/qualify/race Saturday- do it again Sunday). Others that are practice-qualify in the same session, then race, tires last a tad longer. Figure 4-5 cycles out of them.
I used Kumho Victoracer and V700 for years when I was just doing time trials and really liked them. Not as sticky as the V710, but a good tire.
I could run a season on 2 sets (and they weren't but like $450-$500 a set!!). >sigh< Good Ole Days.

I agree on the size thingy. We use 255 on a 16X8. 275-285 should do fine on a 9" rim.
Smaller rim-17" will rotate-slow quicker than an 18".......
Too wide a tire on the rim and you get side squirm and more heat- ie don't last as long before going off.
Several A/Sedan guys tried 275 because they would fit, but went back to 255's after a couple of races. (we can use any rim up to a 16X8 max)

a 275 on an 8 inch rim,
thats quite a squeeze!

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
If you go with 18" wheels you not only can clear 14" brakes but you can run used Koni Challenge Hoosier 275/35-18's for a lot less which leaves more money for events. They are fairly sticky, and they last pretty well. I have been running them on my Lightning just because of price and I am pretty happy, they are faster than my 295/35-18 Kumho MXs by about 4 seconds a lap at Gingerman Raceway. JMO

wheelhopper

Established Member
I went from the factory Goodyears to Avon Tech R's. I was very happy with those tires. Very grippy and you should be able to get 7 weekends out of them if you rotate them regularly and flip them once.

Someone mentioned staying with the cheaper R compounds. I'd like to know what those are, cause I have not seen any cheap ones. I would say stick with the 275/17s all the way around. You'll get way more grip then your used to, you can rotate them, and 17's are about $100 cheaper a piece compared to the same width in an 18". You can also get good deals on used 17's from Koni Challenge cars and SCCA racers for about 1/4 of the price of new, like the Hoosiers from Performance Autosports, which I run now.

snake_handler

Established Member
I have ran the NT01 and got 5 weekends out of them. Use to run the Kumho's but I found the NT01 to give better steering feedback. If you go to a 305 or 315 in back make sure you have comp springs and a stiff sway bar!

BlackStripes

Established Member
I think i am going for a tire that can last me at least 7 weekends (around 1 season for me)

Snake Handler, Yeah, I believe NT01's are pretty similar to R888's, and the good thing is that they have 315's in 17 and 18! My car has 400lbs spring in the front and 575lbs in the back (most likely to change to 600lb).

If i stay with 17's i am sure i will do at least 305's all around... the only thing is that i can't find a decently lightweight wheel wider than 17x10... Not sure if i want to go CCW ($$$!). I have now RPF-1's and my front wheels (9.5") are 16.5 lbs, and i'd hate to go heavy in the front!!

BlackBolt9, 4 seconds faster?? Holy Crap!!.. I can only dream about 4 sec's off my current times!! NIIICE!!

Last edited:

David Hester

Established Member
I've bought used race tires from John Berget for close to 20 years. Found out about him when I was racing Formula Vees in the '80's.
Good guy to deal with. Best time to hit him is in late September after the SCCA runoffs. Tell him Dave Hester sent you.
John Berget Racing Tires

Last edited:

Lumpydogs

Established Member
I went from the factory Goodyears to Avon Tech R's. I was very happy with those tires. Very grippy and you should be able to get 7 weekends out of them if you rotate them regularly and flip them once.

Someone mentioned staying with the cheaper R compounds. I'd like to know what those are, cause I have not seen any cheap ones. I would say stick with the 275/17s all the way around. You'll get way more grip then your used to, you can rotate them, and 17's are about $100 cheaper a piece compared to the same width in an 18". You can also get good deals on used 17's from Koni Challenge cars and SCCA racers for about 1/4 of the price of new, like the Hoosiers from Performance Autosports, which I run now.

I too have a collection of Avon Tech R's. They grip much better than street tires, were cheap and have excellent wear. Unfortunately, these tires are not available in the USA any longer (per TireRack).

I suggested the cheaper R-compound tires but I don't have a specific recommendation. In fact, I would be interested to hear what suggestions other folks have.

p.s. Blackbolt was 4 seconds faster (TRUE) until he wore them out and turned them into off road tires :)

Last edited:

Darkshadows

New tq abuser
Established Member
for a first set of r-comps you don't need anything crazy, you will be amazed at how differently the car acts on just a set of 275mm r-comps
my first(and only set) of r-comps were a set of 275/40/17 avon tech R's(these are the cheap shitty r-comps just for reference), and I was thoroughly impressed with the feel of the car once they get some heat in em
I run the harbor freight utility trailer and it works great, the wheel bearings should last two seasons, and its only like 20 bucks for bearings for both sides. I just rebuilt the hubs with new bearings before I put the trailer away for the winter, one of the bearings was still good and the other failed because the grease fitting on the hub worked its way out and the bearing ran dry, combined with my 90 mph(trailer is rated to 55) run on that last hour stretch on the way out to gingerman because I was running late :)

how did you run the trailer wiring?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
p.s. Blackbolt was 4 seconds faster (TRUE) until he wore them out and turned them into off road tires :)

Actually that weekend I was on Yokohamas and I got stuck in the ditch because I got too antsy when they were cold not because they were worn out, that happened later in the day:lol:

I ran the Koni tires at a Wednesday night test and tune with Jesse and Dean who took turns in a Spec Focus and a street car Mustang on the 245/40-18 BFG R1 Mustang Challenge tires, which happen to also be an awesome tire you can get at a decent price used from the race teams:rockon:

Jowsik

Trac Rat
Established Member
I have a pair of Avon Tech R's that are practically new. Anyone have any left they want to sell or are you interested in buying these so one of us can make a whole set? The two I have are the original ones with the C Temp rating.

Users who are viewing this thread