Moving to Hawaii worth taking my Cobra?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Bogus? I think not.

With the cost of land in Hawaii I would be very surprised if another track ever gets built.

I just left Pearl Harbor; I was stationed there for 3 years. All the talk about salt damaging your vehicle is bogus; maybe if you drive it into the ocean you will have a problem, but I had no issue and there were guys who have been there forever with no issues at all. The car scene there isn't all that big and there is no drag strip there. There has been talk of one being built someday but I also hear it is going to be a very long time before one is actually built. I would recommend checking out Hawaiiperformancemustangs.com. There aren't really any good tuners out there and labor for install is pretty outrageous; however, there are a bunch of guys on HPM that are very knowledgeable, and would be willing to assist you. Good luck in whichever direction that you choose. I really enjoyed my three years there.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I just left Pearl Harbor; I was stationed there for 3 years. All the talk about salt damaging your vehicle is bogus; maybe if you drive it into the ocean you will have a problem, but I had no issue and there were guys who have been there forever with no issues at all. The car scene there isn't all that big and there is no drag strip there. There has been talk of one being built someday but I also hear it is going to be a very long time before one is actually built. I would recommend checking out Hawaiiperformancemustangs.com. There aren't really any good tuners out there and labor for install is pretty outrageous; however, there are a bunch of guys on HPM that are very knowledgeable, and would be willing to assist you. Good luck in whichever direction that you choose. I really enjoyed my three years there.

+1. Lived there for 7 years, never had any issues with any of my cars there including the 2 1/2 years I had my 03 Cobra there. There used to be a track but it shut down in 05 i think. Take your Cobra, was a blast driving H-1,2,3 in it. Nice selection of ricers to play with as well. Don't worry they will find you. Also hard to beat places to take sweet pics of your car.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
absolutely... I loved having my Cobra and Mach on the island. Plus with it being somewhat of a rare car you can usually ask a larger price than on mainland. The downside is it's going to cost around a G to get it there from L.A. But it's well worth it IMHO. - what base are you going to?

As mentioned the track is shut down. as of early 06. There are TONS of shows and meets. Plus ALL the other islands have tracks so you can just take the Ferry over for a race on a w/e. One other downside is it's more expensive to do mods due to shipping. UPS ground is the cheapest way I found to get parts from mainland if you can't find what you are looking for in Oahu. There are a couple of really good performance shops and clubs but again you will pay a premium for any performance work. Especially machining or engine/tranny work. Naka is probably the best on the island - he mainly builds Mustangs. He had one of the first GT500's on the island and he turned it into a full out 9 sec drag car.

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Bogus? I think not.

With the cost of land in Hawaii I would be very surprised if another track ever gets built.

The track is actually still there- it's just a big dispute with the Gov't on when and how it's going to re-open. I still get occasional updates on it. It's not real promising but nothing about Hawaii Stat Gov is. You CAN go to one of the tracks on neighboring islands. MANY people do this. It's not all that complicated. As far as salt air/water and your car. I've lived on the coast or on an island for the last 20 years. If you take care of your car - IE wash, wax, garage etc you won't have ANY problems. If you let salt just sit on your car of course it's going to get "pickled". How many of us go extended periods of time without taking care of our cars? Be for real bro. Like I said. I've NEVER had any problems with salt water to include the 3 yrs living on Hawaii. Just like anything else- if you take care of it you won't have any problems. If you don't your car will rust. You make it sound like there is no way to take care of your car out there and rust is inevitable. Nothing could be further from the truth. When I was there I saw MANY MANY Fox body mustangs and other older cars that were mint.... Why? Because people took care of them, plain and simple. Sheesh.

If you want pics of proof go to the HPM (Hawaii Performance Mustangs) site and log on and see for yourself. Many high quality cars (lots of Cobras) in awesome condition.

Furious Jonesy

Air Assault, I currently live on island with mine, I enjoy it. Sure, there's not a TON of places to open it up, but there are nice roads, with nice views. Do I worry about the salt air, yes, but I take care of it as best I can and I enjoy it the whole time. You'll probably be at Schofield or Hickam I'm guessing, so when you deploy put your car in a storage unit on the leeward side. You could take it or leave it either way to be honest with you, there's valid concern and reason on both sides of the coin. Bottom line either way, PM me when you get here and you're welcome to come over and watch all the racing and motor-sports you can stand anytime.

Furious Jonesy

MACH1 has a good point. If anything, I just pay more attention to detail when cleaning. I personally think you can keep a car looking nice out here. One piece of advice for you though, homes with garages seem to be hard to come by on Oahu, so if you're looking online pay attention if you see one. Most of the family housing units on KBay now have garages, but I'm not sure about the homes on Schofield or Hickam. Do try and find a condo with covered parking if you can though. There are several in Kailua where I live. Hope this helps.

Nukem1040

Established Member
I didn't read every single reply on here, but i'll chime you in on some things from over there.
1. Track is closed
2. There is a bad ass Mustang shop (can't remember off the top of my head) in Mililani, but get ready to pay for labor and cost for him to ship parts in.
3. Shipping costs for parts, tach on about an extra $40 minimum every time and a 2 week wait
4. Salt and sun takes a BEATING on your paint, one of our mystics from there was completly faded on the plastic.
5. If you want to keep your car, make sure you have a good alarm on it and atleast a load jack. Theft is like going to pick up milk at the store there.

Pros:
1. You get to cruz by all the beaches and on an island:rockon:
2. There is a SHIT TON of mustangs there and mustang clubs.
3. there is some of the baddest rides you'll ever see there, and it will all feel better when your in your bad ass car(I have personally seen a GNX(Grand National X) driving down Wikiki. Once in a lifetime)
4. If you sell the car, you can definatly OVER PRICE the sale because you don't have much to choose from on an island.

Is it worth it? YES! just be cautious of where your car is parked, and put a cover on it to protect it from the sun:beer:

mustangdakine

Established Member
Ive shipped my car washington to maui and then back to cali.When I shipped it over a year ago it 1075 from herizon line and they put it in a contanier.Stay way from matson the did 6000 dollars worth of damage when I shipped it from Washington.There's a great shop it's call Nakaz car care the guys names Alan and he does alot of work on mustangs and lightning.(guys on maui would ship there cars there for work and tuning)I never had any problems with salt or my paint fading.I washed my car 2 times a week and kept it in the garage.If you take your car check out Hawaiiperformancemustangs.com,there a great bunch of guys.Sorry no more superferry,I took it 2 times with my car was a nice 4hr ride...

Last edited:

Nukem1040

Established Member
Ive shipped my car washington to maui and then back to cali.When I shipped it over a year ago it 1075 from herizon line and they put it in a contanier.Stay way from matson the did 6000 dollars worth of damage when I shipped it from Washington.There's a great shop it's call Nakaz car care the guys names Alan and he does alot of work on mustangs and lightning.(guys on maui would ship there cars there for work and tuning)I never had any problems with salt or my paint fading.I washed my car 2 times a week and kept it in the garage.If you take your car check out Hawaiiperformancemustangs.com,there a great bunch of guys.Sorry no more superferry,I took it 2 times with my car was a nice 4hr ride...

That is the nice car shop I was talking about and one of the Mustang car clubs.

Users who are viewing this thread