Moving to Hawaii worth taking my Cobra?

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm trying to decide if it would be worth taking my '04 with me to Hawaii, I'm taking into consideration availability of speed shops, if something breaks having to get parts and what not.

I am contimplating taking my truck and then shipping the '04 at my expense since i will be in Hawaii for 3 years. Possibly if the right buyer came along while I was there I would sell it, but only if it was an offer I couldnt refuse.

Opionions of "if its worth it" or just leave it back here in the states appreciatted, ty

Last edited:

Jaysin

Established Member
I personally would, but it's dependent upon how mch you enjoy the car. I don't think I could go three yrs without it (if I owned a terminator), plus it'd have to be pretty sweet cruising around Hawaii in it!

saleensc281

Established Member
Damn Pete...Hawaii huh?? The wife is trying to get me to go there too after this assignment. I wouldnt sell mine if I was going, and dont think you should either. If I was going, I think it would just sit in storage for the 2 to 3 years I was there....unless I would pay out of pocket to ship it. Def would want another car there aside from the Saleen though. Ehh I dont know man...I say take it. We need to meet up and get some shots taken. Soon..since rotation is about over.

TARZAN

Old ghost
Established Member
I went and left my car behind, and I regretted it. I literally ended up buying a 94 GT in Hawaii because I missed having something like that so much....take it, you'll be glad you did.

-Will

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn Pete...Hawaii huh?? The wife is trying to get me to go there too after this assignment. I wouldnt sell mine if I was going, and dont think you should either. If I was going, I think it would just sit in storage for the 2 to 3 years I was there....unless I would pay out of pocket to ship it. Def would want another car there aside from the Saleen though. Ehh I dont know man...I say take it. We need to meet up and get some shots taken. Soon..since rotation is about over.

Bro, u have my number, unless u pitched it into the trash can again at the carwash. Just give me a call anytime, you and your familiy are invited anytime over to the house. Geez, what, u live about 3 min away...so dont blame it on gas prices

I dont want it to be a daily driver though down there and o yeah, out the door to Afgan as soon as I hit the island. Soooooooo......

But Off Topic; Im already having visions of MODS in my :sleeping:sleep:sleeping: just thinking about that deployment money.....

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I personally would, but it's dependent upon how mch you enjoy the car. I don't think I could go three yrs without it (if I owned a terminator), plus it'd have to be pretty sweet cruising around Hawaii in it!
You ever live in Hawaii? you got any idea what 2 trans pacific shipments and 3 years on an island where the air is filled with salt does to a vehicle?

I went and left my car behind, and I regretted it. I literally ended up buying a 94 GT in Hawaii because I missed having something like that so much....take it, you'll be glad you did.
-Will
I would have to disagree.

OP: I wouldn't take it. Island life is hard on a car. and think about this. it takes a few months to get it there, and a few months to get it back to the states, plus the year you are going to be in Afghanistan, so you will drive it for what MAYBE a year and a half if you are lucky?

with the cost of shipment that you could put toward more mods? with it not being driven for 3 years when you get back you will have a low mileage 03 that you can mod and enjoy.

Don't think I don't feel your pain or "get it" 7 years in the damn desert with TWO cobras waiting on me at home. I will be glad when I finally decide to kick this place in the nuts and go home LOL

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
You ever live in Hawaii? you got any idea what 2 trans pacific shipments and 3 years on an island where the air is filled with salt does to a vehicle?

I was kinda being reserved just to see what the opinions were...but I do know for a fact guys shipped thier GT's to Germany ...just from the salt water/ air alone and the effect on the car, JUST IN THE SHIPMENT,

their exhaust system were coated and plastered with surface rust from the air salt mix....no sh*t true story :D

Yep, I'll b ok w/o it for a few years, so I'll take the truck and buy a Moped for hoping around the island, hmmmm....mod it out with 75 shot and ghost flames....maybe misbadge it with a GT 500 Cobra emblem...

Back to the topic, yeah Im going to leave it back here.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member

I would have to disagree.

OP: I wouldn't take it. Island life is hard on a car. and think about this. it takes a few months to get it there, and a few months to get it back to the states, plus the year you are going to be in Afghanistan, so you will drive it for what MAYBE a year and a half if you are lucky?

with the cost of shipment that you could put toward more mods? with it not being driven for 3 years when you get back you will have a low mileage 03 that you can mod and enjoy.

He wouldnt have to pay anything to ship his vehicle, since that is considered an OCONUS assignement the Gubment would front the bill for that.

But I would have to second this statement, a friend of mine was stationed there and he shipped his brand new 03 F250 in 2003, that thing looked like it had been through hell once he returned stateside 4 years later. I guess if you are meticulous you can slow the salt down a bit but its never going to be %100. Plus the car will sit while on rotations so guarantee salt damage.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
He wouldnt have to pay anything to ship his vehicle, since that is considered an OCONUS assignement the Gubment would front the bill for that.

urmmmm NO ... from the original post

I am contimplating taking my truck and then shipping the '04 at my expense since i will be in Hawaii for 3 years. Possibly if the right buyer came along while I was there I would sell it, but only if it was an offer I couldnt refuse.

Big_Stang

Established Member
store it mainland.

or youll end up spending all your mod money trying to get it back in good shape from the salty salt

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
store it mainland.

or youll end up spending all your mod money trying to get it back in good shape from the salty salt

Hey thanks guys for the insight, now Im concerned about even taking my
F150, Black, 6inch lift. Is this atmosphere (salty ocean etc) going to just create havok on anything I take?

Please dont tell me I need to trade down to a Hynduai POS car for 3 years:shrug:

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Hey thanks guys for the insight, now Im concerned about even taking my
F150, Black, 6inch lift. Is this atmosphere (salty ocean etc) going to just create havok on anything I take?

Please dont tell me I need to trade down to a Hynduai POS car for 3 years:shrug:

Its going to be harmful at best. If you really intend on keeping it for a while dont take it. Instead buy a beater S10 or Ranger to put around with and have that transed over. You wont regret it when you see a good looking rust free truck on your leave.

phils04gt

Established Member
I just left Pearl Harbor; I was stationed there for 3 years. All the talk about salt damaging your vehicle is bogus; maybe if you drive it into the ocean you will have a problem, but I had no issue and there were guys who have been there forever with no issues at all. The car scene there isn't all that big and there is no drag strip there. There has been talk of one being built someday but I also hear it is going to be a very long time before one is actually built. I would recommend checking out Hawaiiperformancemustangs.com. There aren't really any good tuners out there and labor for install is pretty outrageous; however, there are a bunch of guys on HPM that are very knowledgeable, and would be willing to assist you. Good luck in whichever direction that you choose. I really enjoyed my three years there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread