Moving Advice Needed

CobraCleric

Youngblood
Established Member
Hey All,

I'm moving out to San Diego sometime in January and was wondering if you could give any advice. A few scenarios I've been toying with are:

1. Rent a moving truck with a car carrier for about $1700. Put the cobra on the car carrier and my suzuki gsxr in the back of the truck strapped up. Put some boxes and car stuff in the truck then drive out there with a friend and my dog in the cabin. ~ $500+ gas and $300 hotels puts me in san diego for about $2500.

2. Rent a uhaul trailer bin, put a hitch on the cobra and try to fit the bike and a LITTLE bit of junk in the trailer. Drive the cobra the whole way.
Hitch = $4-500 + $500+ gas and $300 hotels = $1300
I don't like the idea of wear and tear on the cobra. Do you think it could make the haul?

3. Drive the cobra and fit whatever I can into it. Ship some junk i need out there. Leave the bike, sell it and buy a new one in San Diego sometime. Eventually get more of my stuff as I fly back and forth when visiting family and friends = $500+ gas + $300 hotels = $800 with some wear and tear on cobra and no motorcycle for a while.

Basically I have to drive because I don't want to fly with the mutt. I've read too many horror stories about the conditions of the cargo holds in planes and winter would be tough on him. Otherwise, I'd looking into shipping the car and bike and fly myself.

A few more points. I had the opportunity and already shipped some furniture so all I really have to take is small stuff, except my car parts. Still have stock h-pipe, catback, wheels. I could try to sell it here then buy it in cali. I'm a little scared of how strict they are on cars out there.

Any help is appreciated.

Wiseguy

Established Member
Leave Cobra here and have fun in S.D. Problem solved..

I will call about the tires-Next week ?

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Man that is a tough call when your moving across the country like that. I would say sell as much as you can here and go across country with just the dog and start all over again. This will save you A lot of money in the long run if you sat down and did the math with the cost associated with traveling across country. Just my 2 cents and good luck to you :beer:

TRBO VNM

I have done this a couple of times. I never really looked at the money in the different options. so what I have done is rented a uhaul to fit everything I needed to move and rented a car trailor, not the front wheel dolly, but a full car trailor and just used the uhaul to tow it.

so, no wear on the cobra and you get everything there you need. just make sure the bike is properly strapped.

yeah, the cobra could make the trip no poblem with a hitch on and small uhaul on the back or bike trailor, but the time of yr you are going isn't the best for the area here. so who knows if there iwll be snow on the ground. that I wouldn't trust the cobra in. trust me

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Ive done a move like that (minus bike and dog) two times in the past 6 months, one time putting my Mach 1 on a trailer behind the uhaul, and the other packing the Cobra full of stuff and having a buddy follow me down to FL in an SUV with the rest of my stuff... and I can tell you, go with the UHaul plus the full tow-behind car trailer (not dolly). it is a PITA to get the car on the trailer, hell my stock Mach 1 barely got up there even using boards under the ramps because it sat low, but it was worth it not putting the miles, wear and tear on the car. Driving my Cobra down to FL was just a pain, i was worried about shit every single second and i hated putting the miles on it.

from my experience, uhaul and trailer all the way. it'll save you headaches and worth the $$$.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I did the move in 99 from WA State to MD. I drove my pickup into my 26' Ryder truck, strapped it down and trailered my McLaren all the way. It was not too bad but I was way overloaded. Some of the mountain passes were done in 2nd gear at 25MPH. Only hard part was finding an outdoor loading dock to take the pickup out when I arrived LOL.

As far as driving the Cobra goes it would be fun as long as you are doing it in the warmer months. You will definately have to go over some mountain passes and dont want to get caught in snow. Get a Bra and tape up the wheel wells to protect your paint. You could also pack your belongings in one of those Pods and have them ship it right to your door.

convert03cobra

Established Member
I drove my pickup into my 26' Ryder truck, strapped it down and trailered my McLaren all the way.

Freaking smart ass Tim! lol How come you didn't take teh McLaren down to OC in the summer. Your cobra is really nice but I would have like to of gone in the McLaren...lol

I say get a full car trailer to make the trip. Don't put all those miles on it.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Freaking smart ass Tim! lol How come you didn't take teh McLaren down to OC in the summer. Your cobra is really nice but I would have like to of gone in the McLaren...lol

I say get a full car trailer to make the trip. Don't put all those miles on it.

Because I sold it to get the Terminator. Besides, It was a two seater and your sleeping bag would not have fit:poke: Kinda wish I still had it, 64K Miles and 100% Stock.

CobraCleric

Youngblood
Established Member
Jeff, what did we do to piss you off and make you move??!

Nothing Greg! This is something I've planned with the missus for a few years. The MACA has been nothing but a great club with sweet events and get togethers. My only regrets are not getting out to more events and absorbing more advice/techniques (especially summit! no excuse for not getting out there the 3 years i've owned the car :nonono:).

I'll be on the boards and visiting home frequently, so I'll need an empty passenger seat to ride in :beer:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Damnit, now I have to find other people to go snowboarding with.

Good luck with this move. The farthest I've moved is about 45 minutes from my house, so I can't really help you.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I vote for choice number 1. That way you can bring what you want and keep an eye on all of it at the same time. I would not put a hitch on my Cobra... sorry Greg, nothing personal.

CobraCleric

Youngblood
Established Member
Damnit, now I have to find other people to go snowboarding with.

Good luck with this move. The farthest I've moved is about 45 minutes from my house, so I can't really help you.

We'll have to go once before the 17th if it stays cold enough for snow.

Can anyone recommend a car shipping company that goes to CA?

Users who are viewing this thread