Moving 8 hours away. Advice for moving/car transportation?

87hatchy

Established Member
I 'll start by saying I tried searching. The search feature on this site is the worst in the history of the Internet. Every. Single. Time. No matter how I phrase it, I get "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search." :rolling:

Anyways....I'm looking to move out of state (about 490 miles/8 hours away) within the next 2 months. Any suggestions for the best way to go about handling the logistics of such a move? For now, I'm just going to assume no relocation assistance from the company I get hired at.

Its just me and my girlfriend, no kids. How to best go about moving all of our stuff? We have a 2 bedroom house. Was thinking of selling a ton of stuff, getting a huge Uhaul or Budget truck, packing it up with everything, then taking a one-way trip down. However, I have 2 cars, and the gf has one as well.

I was considering looking into car transport companies for my fox body. Its not road trip ready by any means (longtubes, no cats, dumps, manual steering, cammed, no A/C, bias ply slicks - you get the idea lmao). Any suggestions for a good car transport company? Rough idea of possible cost? It doesn't have to be a fully enclosed transport. Its no show car.

Any info is appreciated!

Last edited:

Satyr

Established Member
Rent a Penske truck and and a car trailer. Tow the cars as necessary.

This. I did the same thing for a 7 hour move. Rented a U-haul truck and a U-haul trailer and put the car on the trailer that was filled with all my stuff. You'll still need to make a second trip to get your second car, it sounds like.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
This. I did the same thing for a 7 hour move. Rented a U-haul truck and a U-haul trailer and put the car on the trailer that was filled with all my stuff. You'll still need to make a second trip to get your second car, it sounds like.

This, but have her drive the second car.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Rent a Penske truck and and a car trailer. Tow the cars as necessary.

x5.56

Penske is the only company I'll use. They sell their trucks every 1-2 years, so you'll always have a new or close to new truck. Add the full size car trailer. Best part is get a quote, then call a rep and tell them you got a quote for less from Uhaul/Budget. They'll discount the truck and trailer. Last two moves, they gave me the trailer for free.

87hatchy

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking about getting the trailer in addition to the moving truck already through either Budget or Uhaul.....I didn't even think of Penske till you guys said it. I'll have to look into them.

I'm just a little worried how difficult it would be if I got, say, a 26' truck and then put a trailer on in addition to that....That's a mighty long vehicle to drive at that point LOL

And yeah, so there's 3 cars. My 2 mustangs + my gf's car. So I'm thinking I'll tow one, she'll drive one, then maybe I can get someone to drive mine down and help move? Its a lot to ask, but I may have a friend or sibling that would be willing to do it. Otherwise, I was gonna look into car transport companies. Still open to suggestions on those.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Helped a buddy move a few years ago. He bought a used 40 ft container and filled it with all his normal household stuff (five bedroom house) had it shipped to new location. Container cost $800.00 delivered (he was close to Long Beach). Then the shipping of the loaded container was $1680.00 to his new address. Then he and I drove a pair of large box trucks with auto trailers.

A "real moving company" had given him a quote of 18K for the same move. And I bet that when his stuff was finally delivered the price would have gone up and some stuff would have been broken too.

Stanger00

Established Member
I had a family member help me when I needed my 2nd to be driven to where I was moving too. My move was 12 hours tho and I flew them to where my car was put them in a hotel and gave money for gas and food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Can't help you on the car thing. But i do reccomend to at least pay some local help to download your stuff into your new house or storage unit. The wife and I unloaded all of our shit into a storage unit after 8 hours of driving and man did it suck. I don't think I'll ever be my own mover again.

paintballpyro1

Established Member
What does you gf drive? Could she rent a trailer also to pull your other vehicle and you drive the truck and trailer

Massie02GT

Established Member
Just did this exact thing myself; except my move was from Nevada to Ohio. 2100+ miles.

I went through Penske and got a 26' truck and a full trailer for my Mustang. It seems/sounds like a huge truck, but it's really not. Once you get the first wide turn down, it's smooth sailing. And let me tell you, with that 26' truck, you can't even feel the trailer back there. It's actually quite nice.

Penske was a great company to deal with and worked with our crazy schedule. Being military and buying a house, we had a lot of things working against us. My truck was due back on Wednesday, but they're allowing me to turn it in on Sunday with very little penalty (so they say so far..).

spectreman

Established Member
I moved recently, about 90 miles away from whence we came. Went from a 5 b/r house to a 4 b/r house w/a smaller overall footprint, yard, storage & garage. Wife & I decided to whittle down what we were going to take. Figured we'd start anew in the new locale. Literally donated rooms of furniture to charities, as well as loads of other stuff- TV, dishes, you just about name it. Made the move lots easier. Unbelievable how much crap one can accumulate.

Once we got to the new place, we started over so the furniture and such matched the new environment. We made the 'new to us' house ours.

My 3 cents. Good luck.
Lee

rdvenom99

Established Member
We are moving to Florida from Illinois in 6 weeks. Gonna rent a 26ft uhaul truck and car trailer for my stang. Then my wife will drive following me in the jeep. We've been unloading a bunch of our crap on ebay/craigslist/fb garage sale sites for the past 4 months and have made like 5k so far.

87hatchy

Established Member
I had a family member help me when I needed my 2nd to be driven to where I was moving too. My move was 12 hours tho and I flew them to where my car was put them in a hotel and gave money for gas and food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping to do the same. Definitely would fly them back and pay for everything.

Can't help you on the car thing. But i do reccomend to at least pay some local help to download your stuff into your new house or storage unit. The wife and I unloaded all of our shit into a storage unit after 8 hours of driving and man did it suck. I don't think I'll ever be my own mover again.

That's what I'm thinking. We'll pack everything ourselves and drive it down. When we get there, probably pay a moving company to unload everything.

What does you gf drive? Could she rent a trailer also to pull your other vehicle and you drive the truck and trailer

She has a Subaru Impreza, so probably not. Good suggestion though, thanks!

Just did this exact thing myself; except my move was from Nevada to Ohio. 2100+ miles.

I went through Penske and got a 26' truck and a full trailer for my Mustang. It seems/sounds like a huge truck, but it's really not. Once you get the first wide turn down, it's smooth sailing. And let me tell you, with that 26' truck, you can't even feel the trailer back there. It's actually quite nice.

Penske was a great company to deal with and worked with our crazy schedule. Being military and buying a house, we had a lot of things working against us. My truck was due back on Wednesday, but they're allowing me to turn it in on Sunday with very little penalty (so they say so far..).

That's good to hear that driving a huge truck like that + trailer isn't so bad. It looks intimidating on paper for sure. Lots of people saying good stuff about Penske. Will definitely look into them.

I moved recently, about 90 miles away from whence we came. Went from a 5 b/r house to a 4 b/r house w/a smaller overall footprint, yard, storage & garage. Wife & I decided to whittle down what we were going to take. Figured we'd start anew in the new locale. Literally donated rooms of furniture to charities, as well as loads of other stuff- TV, dishes, you just about name it. Made the move lots easier. Unbelievable how much crap one can accumulate.

Once we got to the new place, we started over so the furniture and such matched the new environment. We made the 'new to us' house ours.

My 3 cents. Good luck.
Lee

That was nice of you. I'm hoping to definitely get rid of some stuff before the move. Will certainly make it easier. Moving sucks!

We are moving to Florida from Illinois in 6 weeks. Gonna rent a 26ft uhaul truck and car trailer for my stang. Then my wife will drive following me in the jeep. We've been unloading a bunch of our crap on ebay/craigslist/fb garage sale sites for the past 4 months and have made like 5k so far.

That's quite the move. Looks like we're in a similar situation. Good luck to you! You made 5k selling stuff? that's awesome!

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
When searching this site go to google, enter keywords along with "svtperformance".

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I'd make a trip with the GF with both of you driving your daily drivers. Then you fly back on a one way ticket to drive back the moving truck with the race car in tow.

I've done a 26' Penske with a 24' boat behind it for over 1,200 miles. It wasn't too bad....you can do it. Just have to pay attention.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Sell as much stuff as possible, donate the rest. Pay movers to load/unload the stuff you're taking. Rent A truck+trailer and pay/con a friend to drive additional vehicle then fly them home.

Users who are viewing this thread