Mountain biking

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
This thread makes me want to start riding again. Haven't been out in about 8 months. With summer here it's time to bring her out again. Then I'll post pics.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So what are some thoughts on the Trek Stache 7? I'm looking to upgrade from my 1997 Schwinn Moab 1 (LOL). Back when Schwinn was still a reputable name...

In the Midwest I don't have a lot of local options for nutty offroad. So this is a leisure bike. I test rode one and really liked it's responsiveness for a 29+. Groomed trails. Maybe some single track.

Any other thoughts? I'd like to try a 29+. Hardtail only. Don't see the need or cost of FS where I'm at. I'd rather stick the money (and weight) of the FS bike into better kit. I'd like to stay under $2.5k.

96 cobra

Established Member
So what are some thoughts on the Trek Stache 7? I'm looking to upgrade from my 1997 Schwinn Moab 1 (LOL). Back when Schwinn was still a reputable name...

In the Midwest I don't have a lot of local options for nutty offroad. So this is a leisure bike. I test rode one and really liked it's responsiveness for a 29+. Groomed trails. Maybe some single track.

Any other thoughts? I'd like to try a 29+. Hardtail only. Don't see the need or cost of FS where I'm at. I'd rather stick the money (and weight) of the FS bike into better kit. I'd like to stay under $2.5k.

I agree with the 29er hardtail, any hardtail bike over $1k will feel like a rocket ship compared to a '90s mtb.

I run a cane creek thudbuster LT seatpost on my GT hardtail, highly recommended, 3" travel. It's amazing what modern urethane shocks can achieve: http://www.canecreek.com/product/thudbuster-lt/

tistan

Established Member
I agree with the 29er hardtail, any hardtail bike over $1k will feel like a rocket ship compared to a '90s mtb.

I run a cane creek thudbuster LT seatpost on my GT hardtail, highly recommended, 3" travel. It's amazing what modern urethane shocks can achieve: http://www.canecreek.com/product/thudbuster-lt/
That's pretty sweet. Does anyone make a dropper post version? I'm about to get my hardtail back and I think I'm going to build it. I really like riding my hardtail for short periods, but it is painful in the rear.

96 cobra

Established Member
That's pretty sweet. Does anyone make a dropper post version? I'm about to get my hardtail back and I think I'm going to build it. I really like riding my hardtail for short periods, but it is painful in the rear.

I'm sure there are, but aside from aftermarket tires I've been out of mtb modding/accessories for several years, I just don't have any recent info.

08mojo

Established Member
There's a lot of nice bikes in here! I've been riding as long as I can remember.

My high school bike that was recently found in a friends basement. Not sure how he ended up with the bike, but it was cool to get it back. I think I have my old fork and seatpost somewhere to get it back to how I rode it a long time ago:

41668318521_395b983937_b.jpg

kona bear that replaced the mongoose:
39862458470_f87ebfe5a0_b.jpg

My '08 mojo (hence the screen name that carried over from bike forums). This is now my wife's bike:

32104959973_d5dea25e31_b.jpg

One of my last rides on this bike in N. Georgia:

40958608964_3270dc2ed4_b.jpg

The current ride, Ibis Mojo 3, post first ride with the wife:

33277059571_727892f6ce_b.jpg

Its current configuration:

40778458845_e312dfe2a4_b.jpg

08mojo

Established Member
Where is North Georgia do you ride? I have spent a lot of time riding Paynes Creek.

I ride Blue Ridge a lot, mainly the Aska trail system. The other trails are somewhat near Dahlonega, the Jake and Bull mountain trails. Otherwise, it is just north of Atlanta: Blankets Creek, Sope Creek, Chicopee, Fort Yargo, etc...

Of those, I think Chicopee is closest to you. I've never ridden Paynes Creek. If you ever want to meet for a ride, let me know!

blubyu87gt

Established Member
I haven't been riding anywhere near as much since I've moved out of Utah to South Carolina. Since the mountain part of mountain biking is pretty lacking out here lol

I've been trying to go to the TN / NC area but finding people out here to go mountain biking has proven difficult.

I use my Cannondale Rush regularly still though. It's good for all around biking and getting out on the bike.

When I go to actual mountains I use a 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad cc-x01.

08mojo

Established Member
I haven't been riding anywhere near as much since I've moved out of Utah to South Carolina. Since the mountain part of mountain biking is pretty lacking out here lol

I've been trying to go to the TN / NC area but finding people out here to go mountain biking has proven difficult.

I use my Cannondale Rush regularly still though. It's good for all around biking and getting out on the bike.

When I go to actual mountains I use a 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad cc-x01.

Where in SC? There are some really good trails in the TN/NC area. You'd be surprised at the climbing involved. I did a ride on Saturday in North Georgia (which has smaller mountains than TN/NC) that had 2,700+ feet of climbing in 10 miles.

I agree, it is getting harder and harder to find people to ride with these days. I typically ride by myself these days. While I always enjoy riding with others, I have come to appreciate the time alone.

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
To those that wear clip pedals, what are your thoughts? I wear them on my road bike and feel naked without them on my MTB, but I want to be able to bail easier since the chances of me wrecking on the MTB are far greater than on a road bike. I plan to ride this weekend and I'm half tempted to swap my clip pedals over from my road bike.

tistan

Established Member
I think clip pedals work good where the trails are smooth and the most you're going to climb over is some tree roots. Where I ride, I'm trying to go up 2' rocks and I don't make it half the time. I think with clipins I would just fall over, but those falls are the ones that really jar your body and hurt for days.

08mojo

Established Member
To those that wear clip pedals, what are your thoughts? I wear them on my road bike and feel naked without them on my MTB, but I want to be able to bail easier since the chances of me wrecking on the MTB are far greater than on a road bike. I plan to ride this weekend and I'm half tempted to swap my clip pedals over from my road bike.

If you're already used to clips, there is no reason to avoid them on your mountain bike. I feel lost riding a bike with flat pedals and sneakers. Getting out of the pedals when needed is not an issue (once you get used to them, and sounds like you already have that part down).

edved37

Established Member
I use clipless pedals and recently switched from SPD style to Crank bros and feel like they are easier to get out of when things go bad.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I use clipless pedals and recently switched from SPD style to Crank bros and feel like they are easier to get out of when things go bad.

Just stock up on rebuild kits. I love the engagement of Crank Bros, but I have a drawer in one of my toolboxes dedicated to storing sets that need rebuilt.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I think clip pedals work good where the trails are smooth and the most you're going to climb over is some tree roots. Where I ride, I'm trying to go up 2' rocks and I don't make it half the time. I think with clipins I would just fall over, but those falls are the ones that really jar your body and hurt for days.

When you get used to them, you can get out of them just as fast as flats usually. They also, in my opinion, make steep grades easier because I can pull on one side while pushing on the other. I do admit that there are some obstacles that I avoid when I'm clipped in, but I think it's more of a mental thing than anything - I've never crashed because I was clipped in. I ride clipless on MTB, flats on the road/gravel (because I like to wear regular shoes) and winter.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
If you're already used to clips, there is no reason to avoid them on your mountain bike. I feel lost riding a bike with flat pedals and sneakers. Getting out of the pedals when needed is not an issue (once you get used to them, and sounds like you already have that part down).
When you get used to them, you can get out of them just as fast as flats usually. They also, in my opinion, make steep grades easier because I can pull on one side while pushing on the other. I do admit that there are some obstacles that I avoid when I'm clipped in, but I think it's more of a mental thing than anything - I've never crashed because I was clipped in. I ride clipless on MTB, flats on the road/gravel (because I like to wear regular shoes) and winter.

I suppose the first thing I need to do is hit some trails in the area and if they are reasonable enough, I'll make the switch over to clips. Hitting a trail this weekend with a friend and if I don't end up in the river, I'll be sure to follow up with pictures.

08mojo

Established Member
I suppose the first thing I need to do is hit some trails in the area and if they are reasonable enough, I'll make the switch over to clips. Hitting a trail this weekend with a friend and if I don't end up in the river, I'll be sure to follow up with pictures.

Are they SPD or SPD-SL? If SPD, go for it. If SPD-SL, think twice. The SPD-SL is the road version at it take a bit more effort to get out of quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread