Mountain biking

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Are they SPD or SPD-SL? If SPD, go for it. If SPD-SL, think twice. The SPD-SL is the road version at it take a bit more effort to get out of quickly.

What's on my road bike is SPD-SL, but if SPD is the way to go for a MTB, then I'll certainly go that route. The guy I bought the bike from was going to toss in some SPD pedals for free, but I passed because I didn't see myself getting into clips anytime soon. *Facepalm

08mojo

Established Member
What's on my road bike is SPD-SL, but if SPD is the way to go for a MTB, then I'll certainly go that route. The guy I bought the bike from was going to toss in some SPD pedals for free, but I passed because I didn't see myself getting into clips anytime soon. *Facepalm

SPD is the way to go for mountain bikes. They have way more float (meaning you can twist your foot more side to side) to allow for the movement you need on a mountain bike and you can unclip from more angles. They will also still perform in dirt and mud, whereas it doesn't take much to foul up the SPD-SL.

The tried and true shimano m540 pedals can be had for cheap ($40-$50 new, or on sale at bike nashbar for $27 right now), no need to buy any other pedal unless you want more bling. Shoes are another item that can be bought at reasonable prices all the way to stupid.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Did a quick ride this morning with a friend and it was a blast! Kicking myself for not doing this sooner!

4933EAAB-6879-48AF-BB09-A197AF139439.jpeg

blubyu87gt

Established Member
Where in SC? There are some really good trails in the TN/NC area. You'd be surprised at the climbing involved. I did a ride on Saturday in North Georgia (which has smaller mountains than TN/NC) that had 2,700+ feet of climbing in 10 miles.

I agree, it is getting harder and harder to find people to ride with these days. I typically ride by myself these days. While I always enjoy riding with others, I have come to appreciate the alone time.

I'm just north of Columbia. I have been wanting to get out to the Pisgah area. I hear it will kick your ass pretty good lol.

I am also looking into ski areas that open their lifts for mountain biking. For those weekends where I want to get out but don't want to kill myself going up mountains lol.

To those that wear clip pedals, what are your thoughts? I wear them on my road bike and feel naked without them on my MTB, but I want to be able to bail easier since the chances of me wrecking on the MTB are far greater than on a road bike. I plan to ride this weekend and I'm half tempted to swap my clip pedals over from my road bike.

I've never able to get used to clip pedals. Can't really explain it. Definitely a mental barrier though. 5-10 shoes make me even less interested in them lol. They are comfortable, look good, and stick to pedals very good.

03'Darin

Established Member
MTBPIC.JPG

i ride almost every Sunday all year round. Above was Sunday mornings ride with a buddy. His current ride is a Salsa Beargrease with carbon 29's
I'm currently riding a Salsa Carbon Bucksaw.

MTBPIC3.JPG
MTBPIC7.JPG

Went FAT a while back with this Specialized Fatboy and haven't looked back. Rode this for over 2 years before I went to the Bucksaw.

MYBPIC5.JPG

thetastelingers

eyem speshul
Established Member
Just FYI, those of you within driving distance of Chattanooga, Enterprise south nature park just put in a new trail adding about 5.5 miles to the already 10 miles here.
http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/enterprise-south-nature-park/

There's also Raccoon mountain, Booker T, Biology trails at Collegedale among others. Pretty good biking in this town.
Travel, stay, ride.

Rct851

Established Member
Holy crap just googled these ibis bikes lol.

What would a guy buy under $1000? I want to just cruise trails and paths that are basically flat (buffalo bayou, Houston). Get a little cardio in. If there’s a sweet jump I can’t resist I don’t want the forks to break on impact.

sdoo500

Established Member
I've always wanted t try it and know it's something I'd love. Actually going up to Acadia National Park with the lady in two weeks and planning on renting some bikes up there. I know it's nothing like you guys do, but I have a feeling I'll have the itch to get into it even more so after riding up there.

I'm also probably looking at something under $1000 to start with mostly flat trails. If I get into it, I'll buy a better bike but don't want to pull the trigger until I know I will actually use it. Looking forward to going for a ride after work or on weekends. Every other hobby I have requires a ton of time and traveling. (racing, snowmobiling, etc.) Plenty of trails near me now.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

What would a guy buy under $1000? I want to just cruise trails and paths that are basically flat (buffalo bayou, Houston). Get a little cardio in. If there’s a sweet jump I can’t resist I don’t want the forks to break on impact.

I've always wanted t try it and know it's something I'd love. Actually going up to Acadia National Park with the lady in two weeks and planning on renting some bikes up there. I know it's nothing like you guys do, but I have a feeling I'll have the itch to get into it even more so after riding up there.

I'm also probably looking at something under $1000 to start with mostly flat trails. If I get into it, I'll buy a better bike but don't want to pull the trigger until I know I will actually use it. Looking forward to going for a ride after work or on weekends. Every other hobby I have requires a ton of time and traveling. (racing, snowmobiling, etc.) Plenty of trails near me now.

This is what I was going to buy before I found mine on Craigslist: http://www.konaworld.com/lanai.cfm

I've hear good things about this bike: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...vrs-hardtail-bike-rockshox-2018/rp-prod159723

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Not a baller like you guys....but I like it. :)

Attachments

• 81Qu3SCXAbL._SX679_.jpg
    81Qu3SCXAbL._SX679_.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 129

tistan

Established Member

I wouldn't spend $1000 on any bike. I'd either spend $4-500 or $2000+. The components you'll pay extra for on a $1k bike will be cheesey. Either go cheap or go all out.

Oliver47

Biking is not just a hobby for me, it is a way of life. Actually I believe that accessories make my machine ride complete. For me, biker men's silver jewelry is much more than mere means of decoration and showing off., it a kind of expression. It's much more than just style

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Biking is not just a hobby for me, it is a way of life. Actually I believe that accessories make my machine ride complete. For me, biker men's silver jewelry is much more than mere means of decoration and showing off., it a kind of expression. It's much more than just style

Post up what you ride!

My second kiddo was born back in July, so the bikes been hanging for the most part. I did take my oldest (2.5) for a few short spins around the neighborhood, but no trail riding.

D2CA8213-CFD4-41F3-957F-12F063461AA2.jpeg

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
No Mtn Bikes, but had some beautiful BMX bikes back in the early/mid 90s
Auburn CR20(still wish I never sold it)
GT Mach One Team model (x3)
Raleigh lightweight
Robinson Team model

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I haven't ridden in years. Shame since Colo Springs has some good trails.

My rig is old school steel hardtail - Bontrager with full 8speed XTR, custom handbuilt rims w/Kings, ti bb, etc. I absolutely love how it rides. It's been hard to find spare parts lately. I looked at updating with new running gear, but it wasn't worth the money.

I also have a Fischer Fat Possum with the Maverick fork but I hardly ever rode it.

I say the price of a decent bike these days is ridiculous, but if I add up the price paid for the components on my bike back in the day, that was every bit as expensive. I guess the difference is, back then I was single with disposable income...

Users who are viewing this thread