Mountain Bike Suggestions

WHITESVTCOBRA

Established Member
I like the Scott 29er's rode them in Charlotte for a week during the Democratic National Convention, great riding bike . We ride older Fugi's and Cannondale's at work but they ride ok. FIT as state prior is your biggest concern after that I'd look into used mid level bikes you'll get a 10 times better bike than the low end ones that are 300 bucks.

stangbanger856

Established Member
Funny how this past week I was in the same boat. I spent a lot of time on other MTB forums and talking to a good friend who lives in.AZ that's rides on a daily bases. I'm new to the MTB side but was vary heavey into the BMX side for almost 20 years. If it wasn't for my current job I will still be actively doing it. But know I'm a little older and want something more plush and less jaring on the body when you take a hit (falling off a bike on the ground > baling of a bike knowing your gona come up short on a 15 ft double!)

I scourered CL all over NJ and found a few nice ones in my budget (also $500) but most were visibility worn and had seen some hard miles. A friend (same one from.AZ) told me about the Mongoose XP-pro 29 wich is a full suspension bike with a lot of nice components that will work well once tuned in and allow for future upgrades down the line. So I looked it up myself and actually found a ton of great reviews on it and the only downfall being the rear shock (but most seam to upgrade them anyway). The MSRP on it is nice at $379 ($400 after tax) ao I'm picking that up tomorrow actually. The catch is the place that sells is isn't know for high end bikes (Walmart) but I trust what my friend said and I'm gona give it a try

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix...ngoose-XR-PRO-29-Men-s-Mountain-Bike/16913467

Last edited:

KurtDog

Established Member
I think Giant makes some of the best bikes for budget riders.

This is probably one of the best bikes you can get for ~400 bucks:
http://www.bicyclewarehouse.com/product/giant-revel-1-131318-1.htm

As others have mentioned, fit is very important. Get a fitting done. Some bike shops will throw in a fitting when you buy the bike at their shop. Make sure the bike fits you.

You do not need a full suspension until you really start riding. They are only good once you start doing a lot of downhill. They take alot more pedaling effort. If you just plan on trail riding get a hard tail.

Don't get disc breaks either.

Last edited:

stangbanger856

Established Member
I think Giant makes some of the best bikes for budget riders.

This is probably one of the best bikes you can get for ~400 bucks:
Giant Revel 1 - Bicycles and gear for every type of riding - Diamondback, Fox, Giant, Raleigh, Felt, Santa Cruz & more

As others have mentioned, fit is very important. Get a fitting done. Some bike shops will throw in a fitting when you buy the bike at their shop. Make sure the bike fits you.

You do not need a full suspension until you really start riding. They are only good once you start doing a lot of downhill. They take alot more pedaling effort. If you just plan on trail riding get a hard tail.

Don't get disc breaks either.

For a hard tail that looks nice.

I eant a full suspension setup because I know I'm gona be looking fir drop offs and fast down hills. Hell maybe even some urban city riding with lots of stairs.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
good thread. I've also been wanting to start exercising more... ie - biking, hiking, etc. My wife absolutely does not want me buying an expensive ass bike from the onset. She wants me to start cheap and ride some paths just to make sure I'll stick with it first. OP's budget sounds about like mine.

4a7191a

Established Member
i like my old specialized rockhopper, its never had any problems :)
my sister picked up a 29er this past summer, id so recommend one. a specialized 29er will be my next bike purchase next summer.

TCSoff

I'm watching
Established Member
After testing a few bicycles out, from various shops, I decided to purchase a '13 Specialized Crosstrail. I've been having so much fun cycling the past two weeks! I've logged just over 100 miles and have enjoyed every mile of it. A major contributor to me enjoying cycling so much is one of my friends. This guy knows a lot of local bike paths. It's amazing to discover so many local places, both businesses and natural, that prior to cycling I knew nothing of. I can already tell cycling is something I'm going to stick to. I could leave work tired as hell, as soon as I get home and have a light dinner, I'm ready to go cycling. I'm so glad I decided to buy a bicycle. It's the healthiest fun I've gotten into in a long time, which is perfect as I need to lose some weight so I don't have to go on blood pressure pills at age 33.
I haven't gone trailing yet. I'm trying to build up my stamina before I try any mountain trails 'cause I would imagine there are a lot of elevation changes. Based on some of the videos I've seen on YouTube, MTB looks to be a lot of fun. I can't wait to experience that type of cycling. Anyway, just wanted to update the thread. Thanks for the input guys.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Sounds like you made a choice you are happy with. Congrats, now go find some hills and some sweet single track. :banana: :pepper: Once you are comfortable with some challenging terrain you will really enjoy riding!

Users who are viewing this thread