Mountain Bike Suggestions

TCSoff

I'm watching
Established Member
Fist of all, happy new year to all.
One of my new years resolutions is to be more active than I have been the last couple of years. COD, BF3 and FM4 are cool and all, but they are not helping the cause. :nonono: I always enjoyed mountain biking when I was younger. I think picking up a bike would be a good way to keep my resolution. However, I don't know anything about bikes, so I want to know if I can get a decent one for $300-400? If so, what would you guys recommend? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

TCSoff

I'm watching
Established Member
Thanks! :beer: The Gravity FSX 1 seems to be the bike I'm looking for, both in price range and features. Anyone have any experiences with these bikes?

tnuce10

Established Member
I don't but keep in mind, once you get the bike and assemble it (super easy), you will need to take it to a bike shop and get it tuned.

If you don't it won't shift for shit and makes riding it SUCK!!

I have a friend that did mine for me, but if I remember right it would have been about $80 at the local shop

tnuce10

Established Member
You said you had some experience with mountain bikes, so I'm sure you have a good idea what you want...but, I never heard good things about full suspension bikes from my friends that had them.

I had a Motobecane 400 when I rode and it was great!

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I am an avid mountain biker and your budget is tight. If you want to make a good choice be sure to ride a variety of bikes in your price range. There is a huge difference in frame design and how a bike handles. If you want full suspension you probably will only be able to get crap at that price point. You may want to focus on a rigid rear with suspension forks. The level of componentry is important to consider. Look carefully at the details. Better quality parts will break less and work smoothly.

I would visit as many area bike shops as you can. Ask questions and ride the bikes. Take your time before deciding. Do not buy a bike from the internet just because it looks cool and is priced right. Whatever you buy make sure you ride it first. Try riding it somewhere challenging, maybe a hill behind the shop, not just around the parking lot.

A used bike may be a great choice. People are always upgrading and you can get a better bike than you could afford new.

Last edited:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
$400? My pedals cost $400 lol..

A used bike may be a great choice. People are always upgrading and you can get a better bike than you could afford new.

This is your best bet at getting something decent..

I've noticed a trend over recent years.. Mid level bikes have gotten alot cheaper, but entry level has gone up.

For $1500, you can get a bike that would have been double that a few years ago, but entry levels seem to be more expensive, closer to $600 for a decent hardtail with front suspension and mechanical disk brakes.

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
I am an avid mountain biker and you budget is tight. If you want to make a good choice be sure to ride a variety of bikes in your price range. There is a huge difference in frame design and how a bike handles. If you want full suspension you probably will only be able to get crap at that price point. You may want to focus on a rigid rear with suspension forks. The level of componentry is important to consider. Look carefully at the details. Better quality parts will break less and work smoothly.

I would visit as many area bike shops as you can. Ask questions and ride the bikes. Take your time before deciding. Do not buy a bike from the internet just because it looks cool and is priced right. Whatever you buy make sure you ride it first. Try riding it somewhere challenging, maybe a hill behind the shop, not just around the parking lot.

Totally agree with that. And also check out all your local bike shops. Bikes are like cars when the new models are coming they try and move all their old inventory. I got 500 off my bike just cause it was last yrs model.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I'm just getting into riding.
I heard all the same talk from die hard riders.

I did some research on the bike I was looking at.
I found the die hard riders called it cheap.
The people who rode not as aggressive have had no issues with it and not a lot of breakdowns.

I looked at my riding which is mostly flat grass areas and 1 4 wheeler trail in the woods and figured it would hold up long enough for me to decide if I liked it enough to spend more.

I ended up with this,
Nishiki Adult Wasatch Mountain Bike 2013 - Dick's Sporting Goods

So far so good.
Been riding and doing insanity since the day after Christmas.

Dragu1a

Established Member
same. like Stampede3 said, i'm not looking to get into competitive riding or extreme trails...there are some nice bike paths nearby and i just need something sturdy that can take a few bumps here and there.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
One of the most important things when buying a bike is FIT. If the frame size, geometry, and setup do not fit you, you likely will not ever be comfortable on it and won't ride very long. Most big box store bikes are "one-size-fits-all", and have crappy non-replaceable or non-adjustable components.

Go to a local bike shop, have them put you on the correct size bike. That'll also give you a chance to ride several different ones to figure out what you like. In my opinion, if you really plan to ride the bike long term, you should never buy online unless you know exactly what size frame you ride and what the geometry of the frame design means.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
You said you had some experience with mountain bikes, so I'm sure you have a good idea what you want...but, I never heard good things about full suspension bikes from my friends that had them.

I had a Motobecane 400 when I rode and it was great!

A properly setup full suspension is a great bike. A cheap-o full suspension is going to be very inefficient, bouncy and noisy.

TCSoff

I'm watching
Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I will be trying out a few bikes this weekend. Unless I can get a deal on a good full suspension bike, I'm going with a hardtail.
Although a bit over my original budget, the Trek DS series seems to have a lot of positive reviews. I'm not going to be doing any hardcore trailing, probably just maintained trails, so I don't need a beefy MB. I would also like to do some urban riding and the versatility of this bike would be ideal. Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself as I've yet to test ride it, an uncomfortable bike will make a nice show piece in the garage.

Last edited:

GTtoSVT

Established Member
Love my Trek Fuel EX9 but a decent mountain bike doesnt come cheap. Go for rear suspension if you can, what a difference.

Good Luck

-Brian

7.62x51

Established Member
Take a look at the Scott 29er's. They can be had for slightly above your budget ($550 or so)

Scott%20Scales%2029er%20Expert.jpg

roberthamm

Established Member
Specialized Crosstrail is a great bike and what I ride like a boss through some pretty crazy trails and still a very nice easy ride on the paved trails around here.

oldmodman

Established Member
I am still riding my Specialized Stumpjumper that I bought in 1983.

There have been "several" improvements since then.:-D

AdamSVT

Established Member
Since your budget is limited, I would recommend searching craigslist for a hardtail 29er that is a few years old. GL mountain biking can be fun! I just sold my trail bike and am going to pick up a downhill bike next.

Users who are viewing this thread