Motorcraft Coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok I really REALLY REALLY hate to ask this but my coolant reservoir is about 1/2 to a inch low. My OCD won't let that sit to next spring and want to top it off to FULL. I know the manual calls for VC-3DIL-B Motorcraft ORANGE, however it is my understanding that it is discontinued.

After calling 2 dealers, (along with prior additional research/searching) they are saying I can top it off with Motorcraft VC-13-G yellow/concentrate requiring me to dilute. Can I just top it off with Motorcraft 50/50 Prediluted Yellow Antifreeze Coolant VC13DLG?

Current color is a redish/orange'ish color right now.

Sorry in advance.

Last edited:

efnfast

Established Member
I would not mix gold (Yellow) with orange. Orange is basically dex-cool from what I understand (part # crosses over). Gold is not - this is the exact warning for Gold: Do not use this product in systems originally equipped with the orange-colored Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant

Are we sure orange is discontinued - Ford used it on every vehicle from at least 2011-2015 so there should be a superceded part number I'd think?

The only way I'd be comfortable using gold on my car would be to completely flush the system and run just gold.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I would not mix gold (Yellow) with orange. Orange is basically dex-cool from what I understand (part # crosses over). Gold is not - this is the exact warning for Gold: Do not use this product in systems originally equipped with the orange-colored Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant

Are we sure orange is discontinued - Ford used it on every vehicle from at least 2011-2015 so there should be a superceded part number I'd think?

The only way I'd be comfortable using gold on my car would be to completely flush the system and run just gold.

This was my understanding aswell

efnfast

Established Member

GTMAN212

Established Member
I drained out both my intercooler and my radiator when I put my heat exchanger and thermostat in and I just used the motorcraft yellow 50/50

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Gold and Yellow are not the same thing. Yellow is the newest formulation and Gold is the devil.

efnfast

Established Member
Gold and Yellow are not the same thing. Yellow is the newest formulation and Gold is the devil.

okay, i see my confusion now.

"Gold" is yellow colored so I assumed OP meant "Gold" when he said "Yellow".

But "Yellow", which is yellow colored, came into effect January 2020 to replace "Orange" which has been used since 2011.

Ford's anti-freeze history has been "Green" (traditional) to "Gold" (hybriad OAT G05) to "Dark Green" (???) to "Orange" (DexCool) to "Yellow" (POAT)

I hate learning about anti-freeze since every manufacturer does something different :/

fearthesnake

Established Member
okay, i see my confusion now.

"Gold" is yellow colored so I assumed OP meant "Gold" when he said "Yellow".

But "Yellow", which is yellow colored, came into effect January 2020 to replace "Orange" which has been used since 2011.

Ford's anti-freeze history has been "Green" (traditional) to "Gold" (hybriad OAT G05) to "Dark Green" (???) to "Orange" (DexCool) to "Yellow" (POAT)

I hate learning about anti-freeze since every manufacturer does something different :/
So our cars will now use Yellow? Seems like alot of waste to add a little to top off but we should drain the old Orange and refill with the Yellow going fwd?

U can't mix these 2 at all?

04MysticCobra

Established Member
So our cars will now use Yellow? Seems like alot of waste to add a little to top off but we should drain the old Orange and refill with the Yellow going fwd?

U can't mix these 2 at all?

Yes you can. If you look again at the compatability notice above the Ford spec coolants listed orange and dark green are both okay to mix the new yellow coolant. Our 2013/14 GT500's use the orange spec coolant that is listed there and in our GT500 supplement book. So its fine to mix, top off or change completely with the yellow.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Just bought 4 gallons of the new Motorcraft yellow 50/50 coolant for the GT500. My wife's 2011 Focus uses the Gold and my 2019 Escape was the same as the GT500 with the orange and now will switch over to the yellow.

Prestone came out recently with an orange coolant that is a guaranteed 10 year/300K mile coolant and it can be used in our GT500's.

Prestone | Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread