motor work

Brizzal84

Established Member
I have a 96 cobra, see I want to have a N/A motor and was woundering how much power you can get you of the motor in the N/A. Even if the motor would have to run on 101 octain, and high compression, ported everything, big cams, forged everything. I was hopeing that I could get around 450hp. If not then would I have to put a 5.4L in then would that make it close. Iam not sure so you tell me?

thanks for all the help.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The most power I've seen made by a B-headed engine is 380 rwhp (JimsSvt). That's pretty close to 450 flywheel hp. That's a stock shortblock engien with ported heads, short runner intake, Stg 3 Comps, and all the bolt-ons.

So, with a comparable setup like his and more compression it only stand to reason that you would pick up some more hp.

Now it's much easier to make mroe streetable power with newer heads. It's a common belief that the newer heads, with everything else the same, will give you about more 20hp and a lot more low end power.

Brizzal84

Established Member
would the head have to be FR500 or would they be the 03-04 cobra heads. how much compression can you run on the street befor you need race gas? thanks for the help man.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
03/04 Cobra, Mach, Aviator and Marauder are all the same and would work great. Just give them a quality valve job with a bowl cleanup and they'd be good to go.

I have 10.8 to 1 (flat tops) and with 94 octane I had to cut back on my timing a bit. So even my compression level race gas would provide more power. So basically anything above 11 to 1 would get make more power on race gas and race gas tune.

Users who are viewing this thread