Motor went swimming

Cody4V

Established Member
So....I recently bought a 4v cobra motor,heads w cams,and a small kenne bell that was a victim of Hurricane Harvey down here in Texas. The whole set up was under water for days. Has anyone had any experience in rebuilding a motor that went under water if so what all did you do?

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DropSVT

Established Member
I've never rebuilt something that's been underwater for that long. I'd imagine u would need a full breakdown and make sure you don't have a bunch of rust forming. At a bare minimum I would pull the heads off and clean all the cylinders and everything going to it

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
So....I recently bought a 4v cobra motor,heads w cams,and a small kenne bell that was a victim of Hurricane Harvey down here in Texas. The whole set up was under water for days. Has anyone had any experience in rebuilding a motor that went under water if so what all did you do?

It's a terminator...change the oil and you're good!

SVT_Troy

Established Member
After hat I’d like to think everything is seized/rusted up. The blower, engine, trans, diff and all wiring corroded. You need to pull the motor and just start inspecting the main driveline components and see how bad it is.

This is a mechanics special.... how comfortable are you with wrenching? I want to say if your asking this you don’t have a ton of experience but jumped on a steal of a deal to buy a Cobra. I’m hoping this is not the case and you are extremely mechanically inclined. Paying someone at this point is going to be costly.

zredfire04

Established Member
i'd start by pulling the heads and oil pan. what to do from there should be fairly self evident since you'll be able to inspect the rotors with the blower off. might want to pull the oil drain plug on it too while you're at it.

Cody4V

Established Member
After hat I’d like to think everything is seized/rusted up. The blower, engine, trans, diff and all wiring corroded. You need to pull the motor and just start inspecting the main driveline components and see how bad it is.

This is a mechanics special.... how comfortable are you with wrenching? I want to say if your asking this you don’t have a ton of experience but jumped on a steal of a deal to buy a Cobra. I’m hoping this is not the case and you are extremely mechanically inclined. Paying someone at this point is going to be costly.

This is my 14th stang. Not new by any means and have been wrenching since I was in high school (I'm 42 now). I've just never had any experience in a 4 valve cobra motor that's all.just picking brains.

Cody4V

Established Member
I've never rebuilt something that's been underwater for that long. I'd imagine u would need a full breakdown and make sure you don't have a bunch of rust forming. At a bare minimum I would pull the heads off and clean all the cylinders and everything going to it

I was thinking the same thing. All the bearing are trashed for sure bc they are steel bearing. A chemical bath for the block and whatever machine and after that a typical rebuild.

MG0h3

Established Member
I would value it as a core. If you’re good enough friends I’d say you get it apart and see how bad the damage is. I’d plan on a full rebuild on the heads as well.

Cody4V

Established Member
Know how much he's asking? How much water did it sit in?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
No. I told him to come up with a figure. Here a pic of the motor that's still in the car that is for sale.
39d8487ec901913cf288ba8f1b2702f5.jpg

DropSVT

Established Member
So much stuff can be reused off these even if they were in water. I myself wouldn't mind picking up a drowned cobra

Cody4V

Established Member
So much stuff can be reused off these even if they were in water. I myself wouldn't mind picking up a drowned cobra

The pic I posted is the terminator that is for sale. Like I said he had another motor,heads,and KB supercharger that I bought. He was all into em until he rolled it. He has all kind of stuff for sale. Some damaged from flood and some never got touched.

jony51999

Established Member
This is my 14th stang. Not new by any means and have been wrenching since I was in high school (I'm 42 now). I've just never had any experience in a 4 valve cobra motor that's all.just picking brains.

I'm about to rebuild my first mod motor. Back in the day I had a small biz building cars and engines for guys...lots of strokers, nitrous, fogger and vortech's from low boost to full tilt cog drive t-trims.

I've been researching and learning these mod motors and I'll say this, if you want to rebuild yourself it's not impossible but you will certainly need a good machine shop that knows their stuff and these engines in particular.

The iron block is more forgiving when it comes to a lot of things but you still need to make sure that everything is measured and in spec. That said, I would expect that a full tear down and reassembly with minimal machine work would be sufficient, depending of course on what the condition was prior to flood.

Bottom line is, either change oil and run it to see how it goes or pull it apart and plan on having heads checked with a valve job and possible guides plus at a minimum a hone job and new rings/bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread