Motor Trend ZL1 vs GT350R

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I would like to see the data on the entry and exit speeds in the more technical sections of laguna seca.

I'm betting that having better rubber than the base ZL1 allowed the 1LE to pull out of corners harder. I'd bet that the R still has faster entry and transit speeds through the corners. That's where the 200 lbs weight advantage comes into play.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I'm betting that having better rubber than the base ZL1 allowed the 1LE to pull out of corners harder. I'd bet that the R still has faster entry and transit speeds through the corners. That's where the 200 lbs weight advantage comes into play.

How big of a difference do you think hard mounted suspension makes?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
How big of a difference do you think hard mounted suspension makes?

The suspension is a huge factor here as well, the tires are also better than the Trofeo's that came on the Z/28. Those multimatic spool valve dampers are insane, hard mounting them was just icing on otherwise delicious cake, the added rigidity should add more precise control. Doesn't hurt that the car lost 75lbs or so...and some of that was unsprung weight.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Laguna Seca times:

'16 GT350R - 1:36.11
'18 ZL1 1LE - 1:34.30

Considering all the upgrades to, and power advantage of, the 1LE, I don't think anybody would rationally call 1.81 seconds "eating" the GT350R. A very good margin, absolutely. But not the beating some expected. A few people for some reason thought suspension tweaks and aero to the ZL1 would equate to several seconds quicker on a track than the GT350R. Only on a track with long straights and gentle turns.

Are those times from the same day, same driver?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Different day but same driver. Randy also put up over a second quicker lap in another ZL1 in a previous test.

So we do not have any true head to head data between the two? Other than a general trend, that makes this comparison a little difficult to determine.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Exactly my point.
True!

Yes it's great to see the true capabilities of a showroom vehicle, and the advancements being made. However...

The entire point of lap times is mute anyway. The car is only as fast as the driver.
To prove this point a year ago at sears point a 15 mustang gt, a c7z, and a 991 gt3 were on track. Times were 1.52, 1.57, and 1.58. The man in the mustang gt was simply a better driver....

What was the quote..."you don't want to drive faster around corners than this car can take you", or to that effect on the street.

Cornering fast is a blast on the street but no one wants to risk a mistake that could change your life forever by taking a 15mph corner at 50mph.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Quarter second gap is nothing to write home about for 124hp difference on track. That straight line difference however...

Essentially the new cobraR vs what they considered to be a luxury car. A more fair test of the two would've been a track pack GT350 vs the ZL1, or ZL1 1LE vs GT350R. Which is hopefully coming. Either way the GT350 needs more powa.

Beats it on the road track (and not even the track focused 1LE version).

Kills it on the drag strip.

Destroys it on the highway.

To me clear victory for the ZL1. Which goes back to the GT350 needs more powa comment.

That 1/4 and 1/2 doe.... ass whoopin...

I really want to like the zl1... I just can't.

Please GT500..... please be a Hellcat killer... daddy wants a new ride.

Shush your mouth. I just bought this damn HC. I will only consider a move back to Ford if the next GT500 comes ready for battle with the 10spd auto. I know too many people that had shifting issues with the TR6060 to consider another ford manual trans.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... Cornering fast is a blast on the street but no one wants to risk a mistake that could change your life forever by taking a 15mph corner at 50mph.

I do that all the time in my Shelbys. My GT500 still has me concerned whether or not I'll be facing the right way coming out sometimes, but the R takes it like, "Pffft! Weak sauce!"

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
One lane road with drop off or mountain could be an expensive lesson if one is a tenth or two late. Not mention sliding the tail when there's on coming traffic the other way.

My point being, being in jail or maimed can change a life in a hurry.

2k1cobra

Established Member
I am. Been trying to get a match up vs a new ZL1.

If you know anyone in the central TX area, id be happy to play.

Unfortunately, no bites:

View attachment 93826

Ditto.

I dont think that will be the case. I think the ol' Shelby will put up a good fight, even against an auto.
I have a friend with a 16 zl1 10 speed convertible in SA that might be down.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a friend with a 16 zl1 10 speed convertible in SA that might be down.

Is it a stock ZL1 or any mods? Mine is stock to the tire and paper filter. Just looking to compare them. Find out and let me know!

snakecharmer

Established Member
Absolutely. Keep in mind that the regular ZL1 is on regular eagle F1s and the 1LE will be on much improved F1 3R tires, not quite to the level of Michellin Pilot Sport Cup 2s, but damn good still.

I'd love to see a comparison with the ZL1 wearing the same tires as the Shelby. I'm not a fan of goodyear and if I were to buy a ZL1 I'd be sorely tempted to unload them immediately for a set of Michelins.

Users who are viewing this thread