Motor Trend ZL1 vs GT350R

TClark22

Established Member
Not bad. I'd expect the zl1 to pull the 350R considering the power difference. But it really was a good race between the two until the straights

helloWorld

Established Member
Haven't watched the video yet, but did they use the 1LE variant of the ZL1? If not, I do not see why they wouldn't use that variant for circular track testing.

R1Lello

Established Member
Haven't watched the video yet, but did they use the 1LE variant of the ZL1? If not, I do not see why they wouldn't use that variant for circular track testing.

No they did not use the 1LE - was not available at the time so ZL1 vs. 350R. Very comfortable saying doing another comparison using the '1LE', the 1LE will eat the 350R based on the ring time's super performance but I'm sure some will disagree :)

Z06

Established Member
Just read the article, should of watched the video instead. Both cars are great with the slight edge in performance to the Z.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Just read the article, should of watched the video instead. Both cars are great with the slight edge in performance to the Z.

"Slight edge in performance" is quite the understatement.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Quarter second gap is nothing to write home about for 124hp difference on track. That straight line difference however...

Beats it on the road track (and not even the track focused 1LE version).

Kills it on the drag strip.

Destroys it on the highway.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Beats it on the road track (and not even the track focused 1LE version).

Kills it on the drag strip.

Destroys it on the highway.

I didn't watch the video as I don't have sound at work, but I think this points to the GT350R being slightly better in the corners since the ZL1 has such a huge advantage in straight line performance. If the ZL1 was "better" at turning, it would be a bigger difference in lap times. Willow springs isn't called the "fastest in the west" for nothing. GT350R would best the ZL1 at other tracks where straight line performance isn't such a big advantage.

Better is in quotes because the ZL1 is clearly good at handling.

Not bad since the GT350R is a couple years older.

Not to take away from how good of a performer the ZL1 is, or how good the 1LE will be.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I didn't watch the video as I don't have sound at work, but I think this points to the GT350R being slightly better in the corners since the ZL1 has such a huge advantage in straight line performance. If the ZL1 was "better" at turning, it would be a bigger difference in lap times. Willow springs isn't called the "fastest in the west" for nothing. GT350R would best the ZL1 at other tracks where straight line performance isn't such a big advantage.

Not to take away from how good of a performer the ZL1 is, or how good the 1LE will be.
If you watch the video, the GT350R catches and passes the ZL1 in the techincal section (by time), it's the big straights that lean in the favor of the ZL1.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If you watch the video, the GT350R catches and passes the ZL1 in the techincal section (by time), it's the big straights that lean in the favor of the ZL1.

Ya I assumed as much from the comments in this thread. It implies the GT350R has the superior chassis/suspension setup for corners, but it just barely can't overcome the huge hp/tq disadvantage compared to the ZL1 at a high speed track like willow springs. Just based on that, I think I would prefer the GT350R platform compared to the camaro ZL1 as its easier to bolt on power than improve a chassis for a competitive racing series.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

I hear you man. I agree. R car edges base ZL1 in raw cornering, but when you add the rest of the puzzle together at the road course, base ZL1 comes out on top. Not to mention the track focused 1LE ZL1.

Id be VERY happy with either one to be honest.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I hear you man. I agree. R car edges base ZL1 in raw cornering, but when you add the rest of the puzzle together at the road course, base ZL1 comes out on top. Not to mention the track focused 1LE ZL1.

Id be VERY happy with either one to be honest.

Ya. GT350R vs. ZL1 will depend on the track. ZL1 1LE will probably be better on all tracks.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Ya. GT350R vs. ZL1 will depend on the track. ZL1 1LE will probably be better on all tracks.

Absolutely. Keep in mind that the regular ZL1 is on regular eagle F1s and the 1LE will be on much improved F1 3R tires, not quite to the level of Michellin Pilot Sport Cup 2s, but damn good still.

Users who are viewing this thread