Motor Trend Dyno of the 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 V-8 and 3.7 V-6

SilverNotch

Established Member
I want one after seeing that. I think with full exhaust,cold air intake, and a chip they should be close to the 500hp mark. I can't wait to test drive one not sure if I'll ever be able to afford one. I can't wait to hear one with cams.

kingnut

Established Member
2011 base v6 is gonna be as fast or faster than a 2010 GT v8. :lol:

kingnut

Established Member
also thank you ford for making solid colored cars. let people put vinyl on them if they want but the solid colors look so clean.

VictorySong

Established Member
Good thing I pullied my Cobra lol. It sure took Ford long enough to give us a good regular production N/A motor. This new 5.0 should walk those land yacht camaros without any trouble.

SilverNotch

Established Member
I hate the camaros new look. Everything looks ok except the rear I think and the weight lets not talk about that. The challengers look amazing. I think that Ford is the only domestic company that really went outside the box in their motor technology with the dohc mod motors. What kind of bolt on power do you think you could get out of one of these 5.0s? Like I said earlier do you think that a 500hp n/a 5.0 is very possible?

JWC

Established Member
I just watched the video on the Mustang GT VS Camero SS and SRt. The GT ran 12.7, SS was 13.1, and the SRT was 13.3. MT also gave the Mustang the overall win.

65mph_Roll

Established Member
Anybody else have problems with them not dyno'ing the cars in the 1:1 ratio 5th gear?

Yes, that is just stupid. It should be 1:1 as that is a benchmark standard, period. As much as I want the new 5.0 to be badass, I want an apples-to-apples real number. It's the ratio that counts, not the "gear".

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Yes, that is just stupid. It should be 1:1 as that is a benchmark standard, period. As much as I want the new 5.0 to be badass, I want an apples-to-apples real number. It's the ratio that counts, not the "gear".

A ratio is just a ratio. Adjust the formula, and you'll still come out to approximately the same numbers, regardless of the ratio.

65mph_Roll

Established Member
A ratio is just a ratio. Adjust the formula, and you'll still come out to approximately the same numbers, regardless of the ratio.

I disagree. Dyno’s mathematically calculate HP by extrapolating torque vs. RPM.

Gears inherently multiply torque. So, a lower gear than 1:1 would create an advantage.

Anyone ever seen a dyno of an 03 Cobra run in 3rd gear? (I’m not defending 03/04 iconic position, just that the 2011 needs to be dyno’ed in 5th gear for a true 1:1 comparison).

What “just adjust the formula” are you referring to? It’s the same confusion as with automatic transmissions.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
What “just adjust the formula” are you referring to? It’s the same confusion as with automatic transmissions.

The formula that:

mathematically calculate(s) HP by extrapolating torque vs. RPM.

That formula already has to be adjusted to take into account a particular car's final drive ratio, unless you have a 1:1 rear-end gear. In the '11 GT's case, that would be 3.31:1 or 3.73:1 with the optional gears. Adjusting the formula with an additional multiplier for a different gear isn't an issue really. The power numbers will not be quite as "accurate" as a result of these mulitpliers, but when a given dyno pull can vary by +/-5whp, does that really make a difference?

Bob Cosby

Established Member
...Anyone ever seen a dyno of an 03 Cobra run in 3rd gear? (I’m not defending 03/04 iconic position, just that the 2011 needs to be dyno’ed in 5th gear for a true 1:1 comparison)....

Dyno an 03 Cobra in 3rd gear and it will show slightly LESS RWHP than if you dyno it in 4th gear. Likewise, a 2011 GT will show slightly LESS RWHP in 4th gear than it would in 5th.

Highly recommend doing some research on this before replying.

65mph_Roll

Established Member
Dyno an 03 Cobra in 3rd gear and it will show slightly LESS RWHP than if you dyno it in 4th gear. Likewise, a 2011 GT will show slightly LESS RWHP in 4th gear than it would in 5th.

Highly recommend doing some research on this before replying.

Well then, where are the 5th gear numbers! (And based on what you are saying, 6th should be even better if 4th is a disadvantage?).

Dude, I'm a 5.0 guy from back in the centrifugal days, I'm hoping for the best here, just don't want to get bad info from the gearing unfamiliar to the dyno crowd.

Todd03Blown

Established Member
Well then, where are the 5th gear numbers! (And based on what you are saying, 6th should be even better if 4th is a disadvantage?).

Dude, I'm a 5.0 guy from back in the centrifugal days, I'm hoping for the best here, just don't want to get bad info from the gearing unfamiliar to the dyno crowd.

the only production car that has been dynoed or atleast published that I have seen has been Evo's car which the #'s are stated above in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread