Motor teardown 24k miles

JTS_7

Established Member
I know some people like to know how things look upon teardown.

24k miles on motor.

Tune is safely calibrated 14 degrees timing .75-.77 lamda on e85.

E85 for 21k miles
Twin turbo 7 PSI 740rwhp. Sometimes 9 psi, a few times at 12 psi, for 12k miles. (Over a year on this setup before letting go)
150 shot of nitrous on high output plate for 2k miles
Oil changed every 3-4K full synthetic (rotella T6 or pennzoil platinum) motorcraft filter
Car has been a best of 9.7 at 146

ID1000's were flow tested at 12k miles of use (when rod broke) Showed signs of clogging up.

Pistons, Piston rings, Crank, Bearings, Cylinder walls everything looks pretty healthy over all for a stock motor under a lot of stress.

Only a sample of one of everything. All the cylinders looked the same so no sense it posting a million pics.

692jq1.jpg

29nufjl.jpg

ay85lg.jpg

23hopcx.png

2nh3sll.png

15qbtsi.jpg

9zqf4z.jpg

Crank bearing
311ov7r.jpg

2n8rgvp.jpg

Last edited:

JTS_7

Established Member
Unfortunately the power proved too much @ 10-11psi in this cool weather. Broke a rod, piston slapped the valves, bending three slightly and snapping one. However the heads didn't even see a ding. Hell the block didn't even window all the way lol. Aside from the broken rod, the rest of them looked perfectly straight.

Here's the carnage:

Custom rod shortening. Free of charge.
2cy06fn.jpg

a9u8g7.jpg

Some carbon build up on the valves.

95ydko.jpg

Last edited:

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Wow. Pretty solid considering you were probably well over 900 whp at 12 psi. Thanks for sharing!

JTS_7

Established Member
Post a pic of the top half of the rod bearings.

25jfc60.jpg

Again. Everything looks pretty much the same across the board. This is a 100% factory 2012 motor, never opened.

I will also add this bit of information. After 21k miles of full time e85 the chain guides look perfect. I know some people claim the e85 softens them up and the chains start eating into them. Not the case here, take it for what it's worth. Just sharing my information with the community.

Last edited:

97snakebite

Established Member
wish my 97 motor looked that good when i pulled it... only had maybe 30k on it and was still running strong. internally looked like it had 80k

Shaun@AED

25jfc60.jpg

Again. Everything looks pretty much the same across the board. This is a 100% factory 2012 motor, never opened.

I will also add this bit of information. After 21k miles of full time e85 the chain guides look perfect. I know some people claim the e85 softens them up and the chains start eating into them. Not the case here, take it for what it's worth. Just sharing my information with the community.

That looks good, no signs of detonation. Looks like you indeed found the limit of the stock rod.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Bap or fuel system? Is this a dd or sits for long periods? Just curious why the injectors may have clogged.

JTS_7

Established Member
Bap or fuel system? Is this a dd or sits for long periods? Just curious why the injectors may have clogged.

Dual fuel pump with added voltage. Mostly was a weekend car. I don't think ID1000s are e85 friendly, I'll post the flow charts later. However motor shows no signs of any severe detonation.

Last edited:

JTS_7

Established Member
That looks good, no signs of detonation. Looks like you indeed found the limit of the stock rod.

Funny enough the MT82 shifts like brand new. Lol not sure when it's time will come.

Your nitrous tune was on the car and all motor e85 tune.

Last edited:

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
So why does everyone go with ID1000 injectors when they go FI? Is something wrong with the Ford 80# injectors? I dont know enough to know why ID injectors seem to be in everyones engine...
Sorry for hijacking your thread. I just figured you could explain it to me.

JTS_7

Established Member
So why does everyone go with ID1000 injectors when they go FI? Is something wrong with the Ford 80# injectors? I dont know enough to know why ID injectors seem to be in everyones engine...
Sorry for hijacking your thread. I just figured you could explain it to me.

ID's are just better injectors. Not everyone plans on using e85. Nothing I would lose sleep over tho. Just keep and eye on them. Good thing the car had a slightly rich safe tune with other nannies added.

Flow chart:
6fnrlv.jpg

Last edited:

92fiveohfox

Established Member
ID's are just better injectors. Not everyone plans on using e85. Nothing I would lose sleep over tho. Just keep and eye on them. Good thing the car had a slightly rich safe tune with other nannies added.

Flow chart:
6fnrlv.jpg

How long did those injectors sit before they were tested? I've seen a few other sets that got gummed up when people blew their motors running e85 and the injectors just sat for a while.

helloWorld

Established Member
  1. Do you think the injectors would have faired better had this been a daily driver?
  2. How did you know that your injectors needed to be serviced?

dabster

Established Member
did the car not have oil pump gears? I didn't see it on the mod list in the other tread, just the ati balancer.

Shaun@AED

I've seen brown corrosion on LU47's with E85 before on these cars. According to T1 the ID1000 design is supposed to not hinder flow in the event of corrosion. The ID2000's on the other hand we've had issues with.
Of course the ID1300 and 1700's have stainless internals and were designed specifically for E85.

The question becomes where are these deposits coming from? The Injector or the fuel tank?
Since 2008 all OE fuel systems are supposed to be Ethanol compatible. But does that mean a certain level of corrosion over time is acceptable for the OE or are the fuel systems 100% compatible without corrosion? Or is it something in the injector?

Users who are viewing this thread