motor is toast, looking at options

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
first off HUGE thanks to Travis(03-sonic) for everything he is doing for me up at Difeo ford. going way out of his way to help out another cobra owner who he only knew through this board, so i am very gratious in that respect. sounds like my oil pump went south for some reason, cam journal was bone dry and cam was grinding into the head. short block was toasted, guessing from lack of oil too. haven't seen the pics yet, but i am guessing it won't be pretty. so i can get a ford factory longblock with 3/36 warranty, get a stock motor from another cobra owner, but that is with no warranty but does save me a ton of money now, or i could get a built motor, but then we are talking big bucks. i am leaning towards the motor with the warranty, so god forbid anything happens i am covered.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looking at your mods, and assuming you have no aspirations to make a ton more power, I would go with the warranteed motor, especially is overall cost is a factor. Breaking another motor with no warrantee could get expensive. And, of course, your budget has to be considered. A built motor would be nice.

Speaking of motor warrantees, is there any concern about your mods voiding the warrantee anyway?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
And we surely know all about Ford voiding warrantees for excessive mods, eh? It's going to be interesting to see how GT-500 customers make out when the mod fever hits. And it will. Soon! ;-)

mammothcar1

Established Member
I would also have gone with the new motor. When it's all said and done, it's nice to have the warranty to back up the motor for a while.
Take some before after pics of the new motor.

I might be in the same boat as you if the noise that I have coming from my engine isn't what I hope it is. (Bad chain guide or tensioner.) To be fixed soon.

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
fiorefiveoh said:
i went with the new motor from Ford, don't want to risk with a used motor and can't afford a built motor.
How much did the motor from Ford cost?

Last edited:

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
got a really good deal on the motor. the retail is like $6500 for the motor. shortblock on fastpartsnetwork.com is like 4700, so i guess that sounds right.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
IMO, that's a good decision.
These motors are stout out of the box, and even though there are failures, they are often at higher hp levels or due to bad tunes.

I'm sure a "friendly" dealer would work with you on the warrantee if you had a problem.
S.

mammothcar1

Established Member
Your price qoute is the same dollar amount I have heard as well.
At the end of the day, you are going to have virtually a brand 'new' car, with a new warranty as a back up!

Good luck with the install, keep us posted as to how well the car runs after the fact.

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
well yours isn't exactly "stock", but i do know where i will be going for my next motor install. and in terms of the warranty i will have to put my stock pulley back on, unload the tune, so this way it is just intake/exhaust and nothing that would effect a reasonable dealer's opinion on voided warranty. so i will be basically back to square one, and then if i want to put my pulley back on and tune, will be back where everyone was a few years ago when most of us had warranty's still ( i bought my car in 7/02) and had to play that game with the dealers.

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
4700? You could of went with a Mildly Built stroker (atleast you would get CP pistons and more wall to piston clearance) for like $5k all said and done? From VT. Or could of gotten the same engine you have but with it bored/new gear inside for little over $3.5k? Not sure if i would of went with a new motor from Ford, Due to the mods you have. I'd say 85% of all dealers will turn you down for warranty work after seeing a pulley swap.

EDIT: Unless your block, crank were not useable?

Last edited:

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
that is not what i paid, i was trying to find something for reference. i bought a ford factory long block. i would of loved even a mild built shortblock, but it would of cost me a lot more with labor for assembly, and i would have to buy a driver's side head as mine is not repairable, so that is probably at least another $1000-1200.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
fiorefiveoh said:
that is not what i paid, i was trying to find something for reference. i bought a ford factory long block. i would of loved even a mild built shortblock, but it would of cost me a lot more with labor for assembly, and i would have to buy a driver's side head as mine is not repairable, so that is probably at least another $1000-1200.

Now we're talking! I'll bet the farm that engine comes with the new revised heads too! So you get a new short block, newest heads with all the plug threads and revised cooling, and a warranty. Not too shabby a deal if you ask me.

04Sonic

Established Member
Mike you made the right choice, dollar for dollar a short block would cost you more by the time you add in the head, the labor and all the misc parts. This way you have a fresh long block. I also would NEVER put a used engine in my Cobra, who the hell knows what you are getting without opening it up:(

Users who are viewing this thread