motor blowing in the cold

danSVTlightning

Established Member
What's up guys ...me and a couple of friend where sitting around and I started talking about motors blowing up in the cold weather. All five of them looked like I had five heads ,I said unless u are tuned for the cold weather it was not good for the motors andu risk a chance of blowing it.... all of them proseated to tell me I was wrong ....what u guys think about beating the shit out of your motor in temps under 30 they,,,, seem to thinks it is fine haha

65fastback2+2

Established Member
perfectly fine provided two things

1) you have an aftermarket maf or mafia
2) you have a tune from a reputable tuner

dont got into OD while at WOT and you're golden. enjoy beating on it in the cold...it likes the cold!

they blow in the cold 99% of the time because the maf pegs, no more fuel is added after that which leans it out and it detonates and then its done.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It's fine as long as oil temp is up. Your MAF should be able to compensate for the colder air and command more fuel. Now if your MAF is close to being Maxed and it can't read the air coming in then sure you will go lean. Another issue that people has is getting tuned in the summer with 19psi on pump 93... Then run pump 93 in cold ass air on the same tune on the ragged edge and in the colder air they are now boosting around 21 psi and boom goes the motor.. If the octane isn't there to support the boost and air it can go boom..

My car was tuned in fairly decent weather around 70 degrees.. I ran my car in 36 degree weather and was making around 18-19psi.. I made sure since it was colder out I had some 104 in the tank to raise the octane.. never had 1 problem.

gt347mustang

Established Member
The only vehicle I know of that seems to blows their motor when theyre cold are the lightnings.

This is due to having a tune where the maf is maxxed out on a hot summer day.

When its cold the air is more dense and the tune cant account for the added air volume and the engine decides to create an extra viewing window out the side of the block with a rod.

As long as that MAF transfer is dialed in correctly and your MAF supports the power you won't have to worry about what season of the year you had your truck or car tuned in. I know there are some tuners out there that like scamming people with these "cold weather" and "summer weather" tunes.

danSVTlightning

Established Member
That's what I was saying have the supporting mods and tuned your fine ...and I was talking about lightning motors and motors with aluminum rods

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It's all the same regardless of what rods you have.. You can throw a H-beam billet I-beam rod all the same lol. It all depends on if things are maxxed out etc.

00FoRdLiGhTnInG

Established Member
Honestly, just snapped my crank monday... I believe the weather had alot to do with it. I have a roger street tune and was told that was for florida/california weather... Well I live in Misery. Could be just a coincidence, but who knows. Going fast don't last

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
If your L is stock, it's fine. The second you have a few mods, dyno tuned with out needing a MAFia or SCT MAF, then your hosed in the cold. I have a MAFia and still don't go WOT unless the temps are above 50 degrees, but that's me being on the safe side. they do like the cold but anything electronic can crap out at any moment.

Users who are viewing this thread