Mothballs under car - whole house smells like it now!

quad

Established Member
I store my Terminator at my mom's house because I have wood planks and table saws in my garage and don't want to get saw dust on it etc.

Well last year I took off the wheels and cleaned them real good and spent a decent amount of time to get rid of cobwebs and little spider eggs on the undercarriage. Yes I did not drive the car often enough the past 2-3 years.

I spoke with a local guy who places mothballs under his cars to deter spiders etc. So I went to Lowes a few weeks ago and grabbed a box of mothballs. There were three packets in it and I placed one pack under the engine, one under the center of the car and one at the back below the fuel tank / exhaust.

That was too much lol! I went to check on the home with my wife last week and the whole damn house smells like mothballs. As soon as you open the front door. And it is not right next to the attached garage either! Hopefully the car is not going to smell like this forever! I preferred the grease smell.

What do you guys do for spiders - just drive it often enough?

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Peppermint oil diluted with water in a spray bottle works pretty well I've heard but personally have no experience with.

Mothballs Stink way too much to use near a vehicle. I use them in my shed to keep mice out of my mower but they still nested.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Rule of thumb is whatever smells good to us, smells bad to rodents. Every dealer I’ve ever worked at people always say use dryer sheets and put those where ever you want to keep rodents away.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What do you guys do for spiders - just drive it often enough?

There's only one sure answer to that question. :eek::D

-vector-id483773023?k=6&m=483773023&s=612x612&w=0&h=4Xn4-5VIr2PfkjK71C3SgHzLJnrj2VDiCFun0k1Ffws=.jpg

Where do Spiders Live in Your Car?
Spiders like to hide in places that are warm and sheltered from the elements. Two of the best places for spiders to tuck themselves are behind your side-view mirrors and in your air vents. Other places include the places under your hood that are away from your engine, but that gather things like leaves. These spots are perfect hiding places for spiders and allow them to hide during the day to return to their webs at night.

How to Keep Spiders Out of Your Car
Now that you know where to look, go ahead and clean out those areas. You can’t get into your vents, but cleaning under your hood and behind your mirrors should be easy enough. Once you have things looking a little less homey for the crawlers, try these methods to keep them from coming back:
  • Buy some peppermint or citrus oil. Spiders hate peppermint and any citrus and will avoid those areas. Swap some oil around your side view mirrors, and mix 20 drops of oil with 1.5 cups of water to pray around your vehicle like air freshener.
  • To keep spiders from coming in through the air vents, swab the vents with the oil or tuck a few lemon peels between the gaps. Not only will this make your vehicle smell lovely, but it will keep the spiders from making a home in your vehicle.
  • Repeat this process periodically throughout the spider seasons to keep your car free of pests.

quad

Established Member
There's only one sure answer to that question. :eek::D

View attachment 1567440

Where do Spiders Live in Your Car?
Spiders like to hide in places that are warm and sheltered from the elements. Two of the best places for spiders to tuck themselves are behind your side-view mirrors and in your air vents. Other places include the places under your hood that are away from your engine, but that gather things like leaves. These spots are perfect hiding places for spiders and allow them to hide during the day to return to their webs at night.

How to Keep Spiders Out of Your Car
Now that you know where to look, go ahead and clean out those areas. You can’t get into your vents, but cleaning under your hood and behind your mirrors should be easy enough. Once you have things looking a little less homey for the crawlers, try these methods to keep them from coming back:
  • Buy some peppermint or citrus oil. Spiders hate peppermint and any citrus and will avoid those areas. Swap some oil around your side view mirrors, and mix 20 drops of oil with 1.5 cups of water to pray around your vehicle like air freshener.
  • To keep spiders from coming in through the air vents, swab the vents with the oil or tuck a few lemon peels between the gaps. Not only will this make your vehicle smell lovely, but it will keep the spiders from making a home in your vehicle.
  • Repeat this process periodically throughout the spider seasons to keep your car free of pests.
Haha! I'll try the peppermint w/ oil on the interiors - thanks. Maybe even the undercarriage. I really don't have spiders inside the car from what I can tell - mostly the undercarriage. But it wouldn't hurt as a precaution.

quad

Established Member
This is the stuff I bought from Lowes:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/enoz-moth-...MIydLQo-zf4QIVCr7ACh14aQQQEAQYASABEgKn_vD_BwE

070922051121.jpg

How to Keep Spiders Out of Garage

4. Can I use mothballs to keep spiders away?

Yes. Mothballs are used to kill moths and other insects, which happen to be the main dish for spiders. When you take away their food, the spiders will have no choice but to beat it. And, as spiders are also insects, the mothballs exterminate them as well. Actually, mothballs offer you one of the most effective ways of getting rid of spiders, keeping them away for as long as six months.

Users who are viewing this thread