Most Power Made With Kenne Bell 2.6H & 2.8H

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
ESQEddy made 707/705 @ 20psi in 100+ degree weather with a 2.6L"S". He of course has a 306 stroker, custom heads and cams and full exhaust. Not sure if he is the most but there are some numbers for you.

As far as the 2.8LH it goes well into the 700s.

I wish I could give you numbers for my 2.8LH but my brand new lvl 5s died first run at the track so no track numbers.

If 700 is your goal then I would go with the 2.8LH. If you are just looking for nice numbers for a DD around 15-19psi I would stick with the 2.6LH.

Eddy also made 783rwhp with the 2.8H :beer:

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
ESQEddy made 707/705 @ 20psi in 100+ degree weather with a 2.6L"S". He of course has a 306 stroker, custom heads and cams and full exhaust. Not sure if he is the most but there are some numbers for you.

As far as the 2.8LH it goes well into the 700s.

I wish I could give you numbers for my 2.8LH but my brand new lvl 5s died first run at the track so no track numbers.

If 700 is your goal then I would go with the 2.8LH. If you are just looking for nice numbers for a DD around 15-19psi I would stick with the 2.6LH.

It is just a weekend car and I am going to stick with the 2.8LH because I think I can get some nice results from 21#.

If your not going to run a ass load of boost then do not do the 2.8. The gains over the 2.6 with typically be in the higher psi.

Well I want to run at least 21# thats not a whole lot but a pretty decent amount. I think the results will be better with the 2.8 than the 2.6 in that range.

I am basically trying to get the most power with the least amount of stress on the motor. So good power with less boost opposed to good power with really high boost.

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
This is a members setup on here with a 2.8 that I saved.

KB 2.8
6lb lower~3.5" uppper

Used to be 452 RWHP/479 RWTQ
Now 703 RWHP/645 RWTQ With the KB 2.8

These were his modifications

KB 2.8~Ford GT pumps~CPR rails~60lb injectors
Accufab throttle body~6lb lower~3.5" uppper
MAFIA~8an fuel lines~Mac LT~Flowmasters
Level 5's~Steeda IRS brace
Maximum Front & rear solid busings~Maximum IRS polyurethane IRS Cradle bushings.
SCT Tune

I am pretty impressed with those results.

Once again it does not have to be 700rwhp I am just trying to get close to that so like 650rwhp-700rwhp would be fine.

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I am basically trying to get the most power with the least amount of stress on the motor. So good power with less boost opposed to good power with really high boost.
Wouldn't a twin turbo setup accomplish this goal more easily? Looks like twin 61s would get you what you want at just 16lbs. http://69.13.120.175/forums/showthread.php?t=424900

Just a thought but I'm sure you've already considered it.

Last edited:

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
^ Yes I did look into that and the money that I would have to invest in a setup like that to me was not worth it. I am more of street guy so the twin screw is perfect even though a nice hellion setup would be nice. Going with the 2.8 is alot cheaper setup/installation and I can accomplish what I am trying to do with less headache.

Godstang told me in another thread I made a little while ago that he made 700rwhp or close to that with 17lbs SAE on a dynojet with a 2.8. I know a 2.6 cannot do that on 17lbs. I know it varies from car to car but I think at the most I will do 21# if I have to and I am sure I will see great results.

There are also guys running KB 2.2 doing 600rwhp @ 20# as Daily Drivers so I definitely do not see how it should be a problem for me at 20-21# to run like 670rwhp-700rwhp

Last edited:

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
^Well PONYBOX04 is making 642rwhp 590rwtq at only 19# so you don't think at 21# I would be in the 670 mark?

How much are you making with your setup and how much would I need to spin a 2.8 to get to that range?

Another guy I talked to with a 3.5 upper and 6lb lower he made 703rwhp 645rwtq. He did not mention how many lbs that is with that setup and that is with a 2.8.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
^Well PONYBOX04 is making 642rwhp 590rwtq at only 19# so you don't think at 21# I would be in the 670 mark?

How much are you making with your setup and how much would I need to spin a 2.8 to get to that range?

Another guy I talked to with a 3.5 upper and 6lb lower he made 703rwhp 645rwtq. He did not mention how many lbs that is with that setup and that is with a 2.8.

Do not take dyno #'s so seriously. They are just that, numbers. Dyno's are used for tuning purposes and depend greatly on location, weather, different cars, etc. Every car and every dyno reads differently. It all comes down to how it runs.

A 3.5" upper/6lb lower on a 2.8 is 26-27psi.

My numbers do not matter as I am not stock cubic inches, ported heads, custom grind cams, etc.

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
CobraChris, Do you think because your car spun out on the dyno that your numbers are off?

Your 1/4 mile time is great!

RAZRS EDGE
I know dyno numbers arent everything trust me. I am not looking to make a dyno queen but I am aiming for a certain range/goal that I would like to achieve and get it to run efficient. Do you think 26# is too much for a stock block and should I maybe lower my standards as far as results. To be honest I am not looking to getting into the block at all at this point. I want to keep the block completely stock.

Last edited:

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
^ Well that was my reasoning as well. I know there are different circumstances but I mean we have a base ground with these cars it seems.

For example all Cobra owners know that with a pulley upgrade, tune, exhaust on a eaton makes usually 450rhwp-470rwhp and 460ft lbs-480ft lbs. With so many that have done it we can "measure" it now if you get what I am saying.

I thought I would try to do this with the KB as well. I am very impressed with 19# that you made those numbers and I just dont see why I could not make something similar.

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
There are also guys running KB 2.2 doing 600rwhp @ 20# as Daily Drivers so I definitely do not see how it should be a problem for me at 20-21# to run like 670rwhp-700rwhp
Oh I don't doubt that it's quite doable, I was just thinking in terms of least amount of boost/more efficiency to get the result you want. But I can understand why you wouldn't want to go through the added hassle/expense.

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
^ Definitely. When I started research I was like that would be a great setup but I read up on it more and I was turned away from that idea. I rather not spend 15K into a twin turbo setup Lol. The kit itself I believe is somewhere in the 6k-7k range.

ponyboyx04

Established Member
its also going to matter how agressive of a tune you get.... im dropping boost on mine till i upgrade the pumps

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
^Well I will have everything I will need to make it run right. I am surprised you did not have the GT Pumps. That will definitely help you. I guess I will have to wait and see how things are going I know its going to be a process and I am going to have to see what works well and what does not.

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
I found this on KB Site which is great help and I don't know how I missed it.

KB 2.6

366 stock + 251 = 617 @ 21 psi*
366 stock + 290 = 656 @ 25 psi
366 stock + 335 = 701 @ 26 psi with throttle body, exhaust and headers
Power levels above 617HP requires 55-71 lb injectors. Throttle body, exhaust, ignition etc. can increase HP beyond 656 to 701=RWHP and 925HP with cams. Consult us at these HP levels and see Kenne Bell Tech Tips and Dyno Tests.

COMPARISON OF THE 2.6 AND 2.8
The 2.6L is more than adequate for 90% of the ‘03-’04 Cobra’s, but the 2.8L has capacity for 50-60 more HP. The 2.8L, with almost 8% larger displacement, will turn less rpm to develop the same boost or +4 psi with the same pulley size/ratio. The 2.8L pumps a LOT of air making it ideal for 15 psi up boost applications. The 2.8L pumps a LOT of air, making it ideal for 15 psi up boost applications, or a big step up from a 2.2L or 2.3L. A big 4” 8 rib pulley - the largest we offer - will make minimum 15 psi with the STOCK 7.5” crank and 23 psi with a 9.5”. If your plans are to run 15-20 psi with a 4.6, get the 2.6L. If you’re going all out (15-26 psi) and/or your engine is a built big bore stroker, then the 2.8L is your best choice. The boost in a 5.0L, all else equal, will be 3 psi lower than a 4.6. Feel free to consult us before deciding on a 2.6L or 2.8L

http://kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-techinfo/CobraBigBoreBoostPulleyRatio.pdf <-----THAT ALSO HELPED DETERMINE WHAT PULLEY AND HOW MANY LBS OF BOOST I WOULD BE RUNNING WITH EACH TWIN SCREW. YOU CAN SEE THAT THE 2.8 MAKES MORE BOOST WITH THE SAME SIZE PULLEY AS THE 2.6

That is exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread