Mortgage Rates north of 7%

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Which is interesting considering there are still places that are in need of people. Local fast food places still dont have enough staff or even USPS.

Then again, Newsom signed a law to possibly bump min wage to $22 for fast food employee's. Good ol California......

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Im gonna go ahead and say it....

A large contributor to inflation was the Covid Stimulus BS.... We Printed some serious money and dished it out over the last few years... Its not JUST Biden's fault....

Someone feel free to disprove this.
COVID is the sole reason prices are what they are. If the Rona didn’t happen then real estate or anything for that matter would not have jumped 20%

mariusvt

Established Member
Mortgage rates in 1971 were an average of 7.54% in the ‘80’s they were as high as 18%. Everyone was hoping the rates were going to stay below3% forever. We got used to having access to cheap money. Now the pendulum is swinging the other way and everyone that just barely qualified at 3% and now are facing 7% or more are freaking out saying the sky is falling. If you didn’t know that rates could/would go up you were only fooling yourself.
Well the home value pendulum will swing back too. All the cash out refi folks will end up underwater if values drop 25-35%

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Well the home value pendulum will swing back too. All the cash out refi folks will end up underwater if values drop 25-35%

I agree, if someone went into this with the minimum down payment and maxed out their ability to make the payments they are going to be in serious trouble. Shades of ‘08 coming up for those folks. Real Estate, like the stock market has ebbs and flows, it’s all about timing and not over extending yourself. Boom can turn to bust in a heartbeat

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I agree, if someone went into this with the minimum down payment and maxed out their ability to make the payments they are going to be in serious trouble. Shades of ‘08 coming up for those folks. Real Estate, like the stock market has ebbs and flows, it’s all about timing and not over extending yourself. Boom can turn to bust in a heartbeat

Man 2008 was a brutal year for me. I was in the car business selling cars, making good money, multiple car payments, lots of toys paid for by credit cards, an adjustable rate mortgage....really enjoying my 20's. Then out of no where Car industry crashed, my income went down 80%, went backwards on $30k in credit cards, 2 out of 3 cars went backwards, and almost lost the house if it wasent for family steeping in to help.

Luckily I learned my lesson early and have spent the last 24 years getting my act together....telling myself I'll never go through that again. I'm financially ready for pretty much anythinng that may happen.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Which is interesting considering there are still places that are in need of people. Local fast food places still dont have enough staff or even USPS.

Then again, Newsom signed a law to possibly bump min wage to $22 for fast food employee's. Good ol California......
kiosks and Robot burger flippers in the near future.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
kiosks and Robot burger flippers in the near future.
There are already Kiosks in some McDonald's but people don't like using them.

Older folks know how to navigate on Facebook and TikTok but apparently can't order their food correctly even if it has pictures lol

trxcobra

Established Member
The trends definitely have me a bit nervous over here - Recently closed in July with a 4.75% rate, before any real downward shift in pricing. Demand is still high in this area, but you may get 2-4 quick offers slightly over asking instead of 10-20 offers at $75-100k over asking last year. Lower quality homes are sitting for a bit.

I own a small condo as well but with a wedding coming in 2023 and getting further into my early 30s, it was time to get a nice place with the lady (plus more garage space).

If the shit hits the fan and prices drop significantly, it will suck but you can't sit there and sulk about it. Just going to keep leaning into life, becoming indispensable at work and learning new skills. Being under water on a home can definitely hold you back, but it doesn't mean you have to miss out on other opportunities along the way.
(Wish me luck, lol)

MG0h3

Established Member
The trends definitely have me a bit nervous over here - Recently closed in July with a 4.75% rate, before any real downward shift in pricing. Demand is still high in this area, but you may get 2-4 quick offers slightly over asking instead of 10-20 offers at $75-100k over asking last year. Lower quality homes are sitting for a bit.

I own a small condo as well but with a wedding coming in 2023 and getting further into my early 30s, it was time to get a nice place with the lady (plus more garage space).

If the shit hits the fan and prices drop significantly, it will suck but you can't sit there and sulk about it. Just going to keep leaning into life, becoming indispensable at work and learning new skills. Being under water on a home can definitely hold you back, but it doesn't mean you have to miss out on other opportunities along the way.
(Wish me luck, lol)

Well if you’re fine now payment wise, it’s no sweat.

I owned two homes in SoCal in 08’. Was upside down 40% or so on both.

Rode it out and sold them both in 2019. Sold them for less than I paid in 04’ and 05’ and neither have gotten back there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

trxcobra

Established Member
Well if you’re fine now payment wise, it’s no sweat.

I owned two homes in SoCal in 08’. Was upside down 40% or so on both.

Rode it out and sold them both in 2019. Sold them for less than I paid in 04’ and 05’ and neither have gotten back there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Yep, we’re good with the payment and avoided stretching our budget too far.

I’m not really in-tune with the market in SoCal but that seems shocking that they never recovered to ‘08 levels. Hopefully you enjoyed those homes over the years !

Dusten

Established Member

We are hiring left and right. We even have outside contractors picking up work.

VegasMichael

Established Member
There are already Kiosks in some McDonald's but people don't like using them.

Older folks know how to navigate on Facebook and TikTok but apparently can't order their food correctly even if it has pictures lol
This is true. I walked out of a McD's because I didn't feel like learning how to use the self-ordering machine.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Those are just annoying. It took me 5 minutes to place my order at What-A-Burger the other day, when it would have been 30 seconds if a person was working the counter.
I think its generational.

I would 10000% Take a Kiosk over dealing with some Idiot behind the counter.

"I said no onions."

If I **** it up on the Kiosk, its on ME. And im good with that. I prefer having the responsibility.

I certainly would take that over paying some dipshit 22/hr who cant take a proper fast food order.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I think its generational.

I would 10000% Take a Kiosk over dealing with some Idiot behind the counter.

"I said no onions."

If I **** it up on the Kiosk, its on ME. And im good with that. I prefer having the responsibility.

I certainly would take that over paying some dipshit 22/hr who cant take a proper fast food order.
True. Let me ask: do you do self-check at the grocery store?

Users who are viewing this thread