Mortgage company rant

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Someone please explain to me why it's okay for your mortgage to be bought out without your consent. Two years ago I refinanced with a company that had good customer service and was easy to deal with, but last year my mortgage was bought out by a horrible company full of assholes who treat me like a deadbeat debtor. I have great credit and this is a home loan in which I have a ton of equity, I almost always pay over the amount due and send it in early, but they act like it's a bill collection for a reneged debt. For April they jumped my payment by ver $1800 and I can't get a clear answer on why; I can only assume they miscalculated my taxes AGAIN. I don't want to pay to refinance again, just to run the risk of it getting bought out by someone worse. Why is this legal??? Sprint can't buy my phone contract from AT&T, Centerpoint can't buy my energy contract from Reliant Energy, so why can this stupid horrible mortgage company buy my loan from a good company, without my consent? /rant :cuss::cuss::cuss:

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
It's nuts, back in 2000 when I bought my home, my mortgage was bought 3 times before my first house payment. Glad I don't have to deal with it anymore.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
It's nuts, back in 2000 when I bought my home, my mortgage was bought 3 times before my first house payment. Glad I don't have to deal with it anymore.

My first mortgage was bought out by Wells Fargo before the first payment, and they were awesome. I sometimes wish I'd never refinanced, even though I went from 5.125% to 3.875% or so.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
Buying and Selling mortgages is very common. It's just a way of buying/selling debt (adjusting cash flows, investments, etc.) It's legal because it's actually a good thing considering it allows more competition on the origination side and should drive lower standard rates.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
My first mortgage was bought out by Wells Fargo before the first payment, and they were awesome. I sometimes wish I'd never refinanced, even though I went from 5.125% to 3.875% or so.

If I go to a company to refinance I pay them a fee to lock in a lower rate.. They then sell off your loan and do the same process over with someone new.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
What's that line, the debtor is slave to the lender. Regardless of who you go through they own you and can do what they want ie. Sell your loan, hassle you, try to get more than you owe, etc.
The only thing I would suggest is to refinance again, I'm sure someone will do it at their cost and your time. But this time go with a 15 year fixed. I don't believe the deadbeat banks care for the 15 yr loans and will skip them all together. It may be worth a try.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
It's getting ridiculous. I applied with a local bank because I hated my last mortgage with BOA. I went with Coppermark. During my construction loan they were bought by Prosperity. I closed in Oct 2013 with Prosperity. Two weeks later I was notified that my mortgage was sold to Mortgage Clearing Corp of course I had already sent payment to the first place. In Dec 13 I sent payment to the new place, I was then notified that Fannie Mae now owns my mortgage. My rationale is if I wanted Fannie Mae I would have applied for a damn Fannie Mae mortgage to begin with and put down 3% instead of 20%+.

Buried in the fine print is the disclaimer on my loan that they can do whatever they want in terms of selling the loan as they see fit.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
The first one we had before our Refi was bought and sold so many times is was crazy. Been with Quicken now for a while and all is still good.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Had our original through a local bank, refinanced and it was sold almost immediately to another bank, and then sold once more to Bank of America. Just part of the deal.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Of the two homes I've owned, I've been covered by about 5 different mortgage companies. A few of them really sucked to deal with as you say.

It's an unfortunate scenario that homeowners have to deal with. Fortunately I've been fairly happy with how my current company is handling my account. My only real gripe is that their system does not allow special characters in passwords.

Hopefully you can get the situation cleared up quickly. An extra 1800 per month is massive.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Buying and selling loans is a common practice. The only way to avoid this is to own your property outright.

Proverbs 22:7 "the rich ruleth over the poor and the borrower is slave to the lender"

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
I'm on company #5 in less than two years. It was miserable tracking down the same interest forms from everyone.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Buying and selling loans is a common practice. The only way to avoid this is to own your property outright.

Or obtain a portfolio loan, then it will never change hands and no pmi regardless of dtv ratios.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
We just had ours bought out also. Set up autodraft like always and they withdrew 3 payments and then told me id have to wait 7 business days for it to be cleared by the review department and then the check for $XXX or 2 payments which they overdrew would be mailed to me. Umm what? 3 weeks to get 2 mortgage payments back? I made a huge issue of it and finally go them to overnight me a check the next day AND refund me $20 in overdraft fees.

Our payment also went up as the NEW company requires 2x the needed escrow in the account at all times. Our old company did not and the industry allows up to 2x. Now after getting rid of PMI a few years ago our payment is now HIGHER than when we had PMI lol.

I reminded them that in 9 years of business with Freedom Mortgage i spoke with them twice. Ive now spoken with you 15 times this month.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Hybred, who bought out your loan. I guess I was lucky originally, as my first loan through a local lender was then bought about by Taylor, Bean, & Whitaker http://www.cnbc.com/id/100007739. I guess I got lucky as none of my monies were stolen. From them it was transferred to Cenlar, who recently sold to Nationstar. I don't necessarily have a good vib from them as they sent me probably 50 solicitations to refi.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Or obtain a portfolio loan, then it will never change hands and no pmi regardless of dtv ratios.

After a google search I found this.
A lot of the mortgage market is bogus. If you have a mortgage go with a reputable mortgage company like Churchill or a credit union or bank that does not sell their mortgages.

Yes some lenders do not sell their loans as stated above.

http://www.thetruthaboutmortgage.com/types-of-mortgage-lenders/
Types of Mortgage Lenders

Mortgage Bankers

Mortgage bankers are essentially “mortgage lenders” that originate and sell their loans in pools on the secondary market to investors such as Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, along with private investors. If they are non-depository institutions, they finance the loans with warehouse lines of credit extended by other lenders, but quickly sell them off on the secondary market so they can originate new loans. Countrywide and Wells Fargo Home Mortgage are two are the largest examples, though much smaller operations also share this distinction.

Portfolio Mortgage Lenders

Portfolio mortgage lenders originate and fund their own loans, and may service them for the entire life of the loan. Because they typically offer deposit accounts to consumers, they are able to hold onto the loans they fund. They are also able to offer more flexibility in loan products and loan programs because they don’t need to adhere to the guidelines of secondary market buyers. That means unique program guidelines and special offerings that other banks can’t offer. Once their loans are serviced and paid for on time for at least a year, they are considered “seasoned” and can be sold on the secondary market more easily. Countrywide and Washington Mutual are examples of portfolio mortgage lenders.
[See the latest mortgage rates from dozens of lenders, updated daily.]

Correspondent Mortgage Lenders

Correspondent mortgage lenders originate and fund loans in their own name, then sell them off to larger mortgage lenders, who in turn service them, or sell them on the secondary market. The loans can be underwritten by the correspondent mortgage lenders, but the loan programs are usually based on terms approved by the larger mortgage lender, or “sponsor”. Correspondents usually have a array of products from different sponsors, and act as an extension for those larger lenders. In other words, a small correspondent mortgage lender may resell Wells Fargo products and/or Countrywide products under their own name.

Direct Mortgage Lenders

A direct mortgage lender is simply a bank or lender that works directly with a homeowner, with no need for a middleman or broker. Mortgage bankers and portfolio lenders usually fall under this category if they have retail operations. Examples include Washington Mutual, Wells Fargo and Bank of America, though smaller entities could share this distinction as well.

Wholesale Mortgage Lenders

Wholesale mortgage lenders are similar to mortgage bankers in that they originate and service loans, and sell them on the secondary market. Most mortgage bankers have wholesale and retail divisions, although wholesale lenders can be independent entities as well.

A wholesale mortgage lender works with independent mortgage brokers and loan officers to originate loans. Brokers and loan officers work on the retail end with borrowers, and once they secure a deal, they send that deal to a wholesale mortgage lender for underwriting and processing. The wholesale mortgage lender will fund the loan, and usually sell it on the secondary market within a month or two.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Kat, I could give you someone to try in IL that might be able to help you. They got me Chase, i had a crappy bank as well... since going with Chase it's been a dream!!

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
If you're short on taxes they should raise the monthly payment by the short/12. Mine did that, went up about $60/month.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea, our mortgage got sold 2-3 weeks after closing. So far the new company has been ok. Somewhat easy to reach a live person and they have been nice over the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread