More s**t talking from Motor Trend

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
In a heat match we spanked an '03 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra coupe

Umm humm, can you guess which vehicle they claim spanked a Cobra?

Well, that would be none other than the Evo. Yeah, the Evo that was tested 13.1 at 105 mph. Yeah right.... :nonono:

What is it with the mags and trashing American cars? I'll never buy another MT mag again. :gt:

edit: This is from the August issue. Pg. 128

Last edited:

Black3KGT

SECURITY
Established Member
I think its more of a Mustang diss than an American car diss cuz they LLLLLOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEE Corvettes, Motor Trend is very political.... whoever gives them the most money has the fastest car most of the time. I was checkin some stats and I noticed that when the 03 Cobra fist came out its 1/4 stat was 12.8 and the ZO6(2002) was 12.5(4-6 months ago) now the 03 Cobra is at 13.0 and the ZO6(2002) is 12.4???? Kinda shady, but hey, that means more kills for the cobra cuz evo driver will think their is somin.

faylo

Established Member
Check out the number of pages a certain company buys in advertising and you can tell who is going to win the next shootout. This kind of crap has been going on for years and will continue. The best test is to go to the track and see who wins!

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
Ive seen stock evo run low 13's....the few cobras ive seen at the track havent broken to 12's stock....but i know many peope have broken 12's with a stock cobra, but that ive witnessed none.....also the two are made for diffrent reasone sure the cobra will spank it in a 1/4 but around curves the evo will run laps around the cObra..

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
I have already put the freeway smack down on three EVO VIIIs thus far. I was left unimpressed. Until I meet up with a modded one - which I venture should be soon enough - the EVO VIII stands no chance.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 97greensnake
Ive seen stock evo run low 13's....the few cobras ive seen at the track havent broken to 12's stock....but i know many peope have broken 12's with a stock cobra, but that ive witnessed none.....also the two are made for diffrent reasone sure the cobra will spank it in a 1/4 but around curves the evo will run laps around the cObra..
Yup, my car can only go straight.:lol1:

QuicksilverC5

Established Member
The EVO would lose a Cobra in the turns. AWD and the stiffer more tuned suspension would assure that.

On the other hand, I'd bet my first born that with equal drivers the EVO couldn't touch the cobra in the 1/4.

Motor Trend is a joke, as they've been caught being bought so many times it isn't funny. They love vettes, but for the right reason since GM really doesn't advertise them anymore, still not 1/10 as much as BMW's. Remember the test where the Z06 wiped it's ass with the M3 in every category, but the BMW won b/c they thought the interior was of better quality...lol. Or where the Z06 beat the Viper by their numbers, then they somehow got real slow (like 13.0 slow) in the direct comparison....same crap you guys seem to be dealing with now.

Read Car and Driver...not perfect, but it's the most realistic rag I know of.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Here we go again ....... Unless you have actually seen it or have actually done it, how the hell can you possible know who would win. Speculate all you want and don't cry with the results when it does happen.

Some replies are a lot like those trash magazines .... All BS .... Don't waste my money on them .

skstang

Established Member
03DOHC I like you. I think you hate imports as much as I do, from what I've read of some other posts. I just want to run those damn things off the road. My work parking lot is turning into Toyota town and they just posted a note saying employees have witnessed others employees going well over posted speed limits on the entry drive. So far Ive hit 80 in a 15. And on top of that there is a EVO 3 here that says he can stomp any stock SVT Cobra. Ok maybe I've got a Heavy Vert but damn it dont talk like that. So I go look at it in the parking lot and I just think there little shit boxes I'm sorry. I dont usually rip on someone elses ride but there's just nothing to em. I'm done.

Bstix

Established Member
I've been reading the continuing debates of EVO vs Cobra and have made my own opinions on the subject. I went to pick up the Sept issue of MM&FF and a issue of Sport Import or Compact (didn't really care which one) had a cover shootout of EVO vs M3 vs Porche Carrera. A peak inside had the EVO listed at a 13.8-14.0 second quarter with 60ft times of 2.3. All this from a ricer mag....

SNK BITN

Established Member
I had no idea those magazines were being bought out. I did notice the fluctuating 1/4 mile times though. That sucks.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Relax, people. It doesn't matter what Motor Trend says. They report what the car they tested ran that day. There are a lot of variables. It's rarely a case of equal driving ability for one thing. A good driver beats a poor driver nearly every time. Put Evan Smith in a Cobra and he runs mid 12s. In an EVO he would probably run low 13s.

I've run 13.04 twice on my first outing to the track in years. None of the imports were coming close to that. I raced one guy in a modified import [13.1 to 13.6] who was really pissed that my Cobra annihilated him. He said I must have a lot of mods [bone stock] because he beats Cobras all the time. He wasn't too happy when I said the driving ability may have something to do with it.

The proof is in the race. As long as I drive my Cobra properly, I don't worry about what's next to me. I have not lost any street race yet and I've lost two out of nine races at the track. The losses were to an 11 sec. trailer car and a [gasp] supercharged Mustang GT that ran 13.2 to my 13.1 but pulled a .004 RT to my .39. Really nice guy who I'm sure will be bragging for a while. Good for him. :beer:

ltv1

Established Member
Motor Trend and Car and Driver seem like "rip and read" artists. Their articles are either identical press release style or bought and paid for. I will use Fast and Furious 2 as an example. Jap car companies greased their palms big time. Therefore, Yenko Camaros and Saleens lose to Daihatsus. If Ford wants good press for the Cobra, pay for it.

Tired

Needs 4 more cylinders.
Established Member
To add some fuel to the fire, heres a direct quote from the April issure of Sport Compact Car:

"We've heard all kinds of things about with the Cobra will do in the quarter mile with little tweaks like drag radials and a new exhaust. Some of those things start with the number 12.

This Cobra didn't do 12s. Turns out 3,640 pounds has a way of putting a damper on your 390 (claimed, crank) hp. The best we could manage was a 13.4 at 109.2 mph. Fast, yes, but not what we'd heard.

Printing an number like 13.4 we'll surely be called a bunch of FWD sissies who can't drag race. Anticipating this response, we asked Cameron Evans, editor of our sister publication "Popular Hot Rodding," to give it a try, but the car just wouldnt go any faster."

:burn:

Last edited:

Ken01-Cobra

Established Member
Another thing people overlook all the time is that these tests take place at different tracks, under different weather conditions. Does it make a difference? Hell yes! Maybe the EVO ran it's low 13 at an adjusted altitude of 100' while the Cobra ran it's 13.4 at an altitude of 1600'. Adjust that out, and guess what, the Cobra is still faster!

Until the rags start putting the weather conditions and adjusted density altitudes on the tests, they don't mean squat. It's comparing the temperature of apple juice to the temperature of orange juice. ;-)

lightningboy00

Established Member
The only way to compare numbers is if they are run at the same time.In the Aug. 03 issue of truckin, they had a lightning vs. silverado ss shootout. They ran a 14.68 1/4 in the L, and an equally bad 16.06 in the ss. Now owners of both of these trucks would be embarassed of those times, but from it you can deduce that the L is 1.38 sec. quicker. You can't compare them adequately any other way. NO RICE!!!!:beer: :beer:

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Who reads Motor Trend anyways? Its always the same thing. "euro sedan shootout", Luxury sedan shootout, SUV shootout, Luxury SUV Shootout...Truck shootout yadda yadda. Call me crazy, but its more than boring to read about the ins and outs of the new Accord or 3 series BMW.

Who gives a crap. Tell us about cars that are interesting to drive. And I'm not just talking about the Vette. I have read enough about the Vette in MT over the years I feel like I've owned one. There are plenty of cars and trucks out there that they do not have an interest in covering, (the company didn't get an ad contract with) and they clearly do not play to those who are true entusiasts. Or those who actually work on their cars themselves. What a concept.

The nice thing is there are lots of magazines out there that cater to our crowd, and we should get into them. Motor Trend is for yuppies waiting at the barber shop who want to see just how "hot" that new Honda Odyssey is.

Last edited:

Rattlebox

Iggles Fan
Established Member
Just last night I ran a 12.976 in the 1/4. I have a STOCK 03' Coupe. I probably ran one better, on my next run I netted a 1.921 60 footer, but the assclowns in the tower forgot to switch the timers from the 1/8 mile, to the 1/4 mile after the Jr. Dragsters were done racing. What a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread