More Power with Mobil 1?

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Today I went from Motorcraft to Mobil 1 full synthetic. Strangely, the car feels noticeably stronger by the SOTP. It breaks traction in second much easier now. Throttle response feels better too.

I know that synthetic oils increase power, but I always figured that was dyno power and nothing you could really feel.

Has anyone else noticed this when switching to synthetic in their 03/04???

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I didn't notice anything when I switched to full syn. But I wasn't really expecting to notice anything either. The car didn't get faster and the motor does not run any quieter.

akaeric

Established Member
No it was good advertising with a Itlian guy talking while they are showing $150,000.00 cars gave everybody the feeling that Mobil is a lap of lugsery and its the best oil in the world. It gave you a positive feeling so you were driving the car more positive and giving it a little more gas than you normal do. Just joking with you but not the oil I don't see anyway oil is going to improve performance now if they changed your air filter it maybe breathing better that will give you a little more power but maybe it did. Thats my thoughts not any slam toward you at all. There are people who swear on the stuff so maybe I'm wrong.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Better lubrication = parts moving more freely. Whether it's a noticeable difference or in your head, I couldn't tell you. I know my car feels faster when it's clean. I think it's happier then. Your engine may be letting you know it's happy now. :rolling:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Here's a challenge. Put your car on a dyno. Change to Mobil 1. Return to the dyno. Report your findings. :??:

akaeric

Established Member
As I said it wasn't anything toward you if it came out that way I'm sorry! I also said I might be wrong about the oil and yes things do moves better with clean oil just never seen oil make that kind of differants. Yea a dyno would show any diferants if someone has one at hand to do the test would be interesting. I don't theres no dyno around here for me to do it. I was planning on tring mobil one for the first time just don't like the place that uses it but might try it anyway. I have a place I get my car done and out in 10 to 15 minutes that I allways use and they use texico stuff or shell now

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by akaeric
As I said it wasn't anything toward you if it came out that way I'm sorry! I also said I might be wrong about the oil and yes things do moves better with clean oil just never seen oil make that kind of differants. Yea a dyno would show any diferants if someone has one at hand to do the test would be interesting. I don't theres no dyno around here for me to do it. I was planning on tring mobil one for the first time just don't like the place that uses it but might try it anyway. I have a place I get my car done and out in 10 to 15 minutes that I allways use and they use texico stuff or shell now
A dyno test would actually be interesting. I can't ever recall ever seeing a before and after dyno test done. I would expect a motor would benefit performance wise with better lubrication and cooler running parts, but I wouldn't expect more than a minimal hp increase. Maybe someone will actually try it some day.

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Mobil has 0W20 which is recommended for Ford vehicles using 5W20 (that's just what it says on the box).

On a 5.0, synthetics are worth 10 hp after changing the engine, tranny, and diff'l fluids. I'm guessing about 5 hp would show up on the dyno for our cars for changing engine oil only. I can actually feel small SOTP increases, like the K&N drop in filter. But that's just me.

Btw, no offense taken!

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Originally posted by cobra4.6L
i'm at 2000 miles, should switch to synthetic as my first oil change?

The engine still seems a little young. Maybe somewhere in the 5k-7k range would be better.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
My small tick went away, no crap. It ticked for 1500 miles and then when I went to Mobile 1 it stopped, came back a little and then disappeared. That was 3200 miles ago!

Users who are viewing this thread