More horsepower = more happiness? ...Filling the void.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
"and a take-home vehicle provided by my work with free gas!"

Siphon gas out of the work car to keep all your other vehicles full.

That should satisfy your desire for "more"

Nothing beats free gas.

Lol..then I'd have plenty of gas and no job. They watch that stuff pretty well.

First, to the OP...I appreciate your honesty

I fall into the same category as you...however I'm a bit older! :)

What's helped me is not just buying stuff for me, but buying stuff for my family.
(We've got a motorhome/boat/bikes that we do just about every weekend)

Either way, I know what you mean, it's tough to stay satisfied!

What's worsee for me, is that I cannot have anything stock...it seems every time I buy something, I'm out there looking for stuff to buy for it! That's a weird problem to have and i do indeed have it

I appreciate your comments. But I do buy plenty of things for my wife and boys. My boys have their own play/gameroom with a 44 inch flatscreen and my oldest is about to turn 5. They have every toy under the sun. That's why my wife and I started putting back more money in their Savings and each one has 529 College Plans as well. And besides buying things we take them on educational vacations as well as crazy-fun vacations. I like for my boys to experience everything from the beach, to the mountains, to carshows to kid-science museums. I get satisfaction from doing things and buying things for my family but I'm never satisfied with what I buy for myself.

I won't be happy to have just that. Because then I will have to mod it somehow.

Exactly! I'm like "Tim The Tool Man Taylor"...everything has to have more power. Keep adding power or upgrades til the thing breaks.

man thats one business that would never go down there is always scum bags trying to make easy money. plenty of those where i live.

There have been some Task Forces to loose funding over the years but I don't see my job going anywhere anytime soon, or my wife's either.

Don't feel guilty.

Think of it this way:

If you saved all your money and invested in the stock market (like me), you'd be broke right now and have nothing to show for it.

If you blew all your money on toys and material things, you'd be broke, but still have the "stuff".

As I watch my investments dwindle down to nothing, I keep kicking myself for not buying that Ferrari F430 and that huge house on the lake.

bumper1.jpg

I save money as well. Roth IRA and personal savings as well as purchasing bonds and notes. But dude I do feel for ya. The investment in that Ferrari would have actually worked out better for ya given the Wall Street screw-ups. You might not be able to sell it for "new" value but you still could've got a pretty penny for it...more so than bottomed out shares of a broke company.
Good luck to ya.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
yes, but investments only lose money if you sell them at a loss.

You are looking at a paper loss, but if you are wise enough to stay invested in a long term, and even add to your position in these times, then you will more than make up for the ferrari and the house on the lake later.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I appreciate your comments. But I do buy plenty of things for my wife and boys. My boys have their own play/gameroom with a 44 inch flatscreen and my oldest is about to turn 5. They have every toy under the sun. That's why my wife and I started putting back more money in their Savings and each one has 529 College Plans as well. And besides buying things we take them on educational vacations as well as crazy-fun vacations. I like for my boys to experience everything from the beach, to the mountains, to carshows to kid-science museums. I get satisfaction from doing things and buying things for my family but I'm never satisfied with what I buy for myself.

I hear ya on that, very little of what I buy for myself I enjoy to the fullest; I enjoy more the thought of things I've bought and given away, like the computer I built for my dad/brother last year. I don't even enjoy my Mustang as much as I thought I would, for as long as I wanted one...but I giggle almost every time the L hits boost. LOL, maybe you should get that Lightning.

My94GT

Established Member
have more sex really nothing makes me feel good then sex oh and drinking haha really it seems you just need a vacation or something do something sparatic (sp?) or something once in a while so the normal doesnt get to be suck a drag.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe your subconscious is trying to tell you to join the volunteer fire department. In other words, that your answer to what you are looking for will not be found in things.

But on the horsepower issue: no, there never is enough. You could have a Cobra that will wrinkle the continent and spin the Earth backwards, and it won't be enough. It would be fun for a while, but pretty soon you would be looking at Jupiter, wondering, "How much would it take to spin that barstid backwards?" And after that, there is the sun. Then the galaxy.

Jim Snover

Ok, so I've been struggling with something for years. I have a problem being satisfied with material objects. I'm 30 years old, been married for 12 years, have 3 wonderful boys, and my wife and I have excellent jobs and do really well. I have a 2500sqft brick home with a 2 car garage that sits on 2 neighborhood lots. I have a 2001 Cobra that's supercharged, a 2007 Dodge Daytona Charger and a take-home vehicle provided by my work with free gas! Given and been blessed with all these things I still have the WANTS! :nonono:

I've had a 89 GT, a 93 GT with a Cobra motor and a 100 shot of NOS, and now a 01 Cobra that I bought with a Vortech and 380rwhp but just sent it to the shop to add another $3500 to try and make over 450rwhp and I all can think about is the shop owner's red Ford Lightining that he pulled in and how I want one of those now and maybe a boat to put behind it to take my boys fishing...What the hell is wrong with me??!!!

I love my family and we spend tons of time together...fish, play sports, eat every night together, vacations, car shows...you name it, but when I have a spare moment I'm thinking of buying stuff. I'm beginning to think if I won the lottery I'd still buy lottery tickets :bash:

I'm a God fearing man but feel that my faith is lacking causing me to be selfish with material items...which is sad to me.

And please before someone tells me to "Shut the F*** Up you silly little B***H because some of us here have lost our jobs and our homes." That's one of the reasons I'm typing this. I should be thankful for what I have but I keep trying to fill a void that apparently is more like an abyss.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
have more sex really nothing makes me feel good then sex oh and drinking haha really it seems you just need a vacation or something do something sparatic (sp?) or something once in a while so the normal doesnt get to be suck a drag.

Well first, didn't you read where I have 3 kids and the oldest isn't yet 5? I don't think sex is an issue ;-) Second, there is nothing wrong with the norm for me. The norm is the one thing that keeps my mind occupied...running around with the kids, playing games, reading books, out to eat with the wife...all that is fine. When the norm goes away and my wife is watching one of her favorite TV shows and the boys are watching Wow Wow Wubbzy or whatever, that's when my mind turns to :idea: - parts to buy, different car to buy and mod it up, buy a bass boat, by more fishing crap, build a detatched 4-car garage, and so on. I love the norm in my life.

badazzar15

Banned
Nobody will ever achieve complete satisfaction through fast cars, money, women, or any other material objects. Only faith in Jesus Christ will fill the void in your soul.

It's always nice to have cool toys & money though, but it's not as fulfilling as God's love :)

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
Ok, so I've been struggling with something for years. I have a problem being satisfied with material objects. I'm 30 years old, been married for 12 years, have 3 wonderful boys, and my wife and I have excellent jobs and do really well. I have a 2500sqft brick home with a 2 car garage that sits on 2 neighborhood lots. I have a 2001 Cobra that's supercharged, a 2007 Dodge Daytona Charger and a take-home vehicle provided by my work with free gas! Given and been blessed with all these things I still have the WANTS! :nonono:

I've had a 89 GT, a 93 GT with a Cobra motor and a 100 shot of NOS, and now a 01 Cobra that I bought with a Vortech and 380rwhp but just sent it to the shop to add another $3500 to try and make over 450rwhp and I all can think about is the shop owner's red Ford Lightining that he pulled in and how I want one of those now and maybe a boat to put behind it to take my boys fishing...What the hell is wrong with me??!!!

I love my family and we spend tons of time together...fish, play sports, eat every night together, vacations, car shows...you name it, but when I have a spare moment I'm thinking of buying stuff. I'm beginning to think if I won the lottery I'd still buy lottery tickets :bash:

I'm a God fearing man but feel that my faith is lacking causing me to be selfish with material items...which is sad to me.

And please before someone tells me to "Shut the F*** Up you silly little B***H because some of us here have lost our jobs and our homes." That's one of the reasons I'm typing this. I should be thankful for what I have but I keep trying to fill a void that apparently is more like an abyss.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

i go threw the same thing... in the winter i buy guns and guns and mod my guns, and buy dumb crap.

then in spring i start moding my car and it is never enough... i have 635 now... but i want 700... and when im at 700 i'll want more or a different car.

with my hobbies, cars, guns, internet whatever... i always want more, or something better. im a loser!

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
By far the best advice I've seen here so far is get a hobby that betters yourself and not one where you think you will be happier if you just throw money at it. Take up training for a triathalon, study a particular topic (history, theology, physics, anything) that has always interested you. Make it your goal to be as involved in your boys lives as possible- coach soccer, be a boy scout leader, take them hunting.

Your void will not be filled with material objects but with self growth.

See Maslow's theory, bottom of pyramid is basic needs, the higher you go up the more of your needs are being fulfilled. - Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread