More horsepower = more happiness? ...Filling the void.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Ok, so I've been struggling with something for years. I have a problem being satisfied with material objects. I'm 30 years old, been married for 12 years, have 3 wonderful boys, and my wife and I have excellent jobs and do really well. I have a 2500sqft brick home with a 2 car garage that sits on 2 neighborhood lots. I have a 2001 Cobra that's supercharged, a 2007 Dodge Daytona Charger and a take-home vehicle provided by my work with free gas! Given and been blessed with all these things I still have the WANTS! :nonono:

I've had a 89 GT, a 93 GT with a Cobra motor and a 100 shot of NOS, and now a 01 Cobra that I bought with a Vortech and 380rwhp but just sent it to the shop to add another $3500 to try and make over 450rwhp and I all can think about is the shop owner's red Ford Lightining that he pulled in and how I want one of those now and maybe a boat to put behind it to take my boys fishing...What the hell is wrong with me??!!!

I love my family and we spend tons of time together...fish, play sports, eat every night together, vacations, car shows...you name it, but when I have a spare moment I'm thinking of buying stuff. I'm beginning to think if I won the lottery I'd still buy lottery tickets :bash:

I'm a God fearing man but feel that my faith is lacking causing me to be selfish with material items...which is sad to me.

And please before someone tells me to "Shut the F*** Up you silly little B***H because some of us here have lost our jobs and our homes." That's one of the reasons I'm typing this. I should be thankful for what I have but I keep trying to fill a void that apparently is more like an abyss.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Are your toys paid off. If so, I'd be happy to have that vice if I were you.
If they are not paid off then you need to re-examine your priorities.

Well whatever this void is you aren't going to fill it through materialism. If you're a man of faith then you need to deal with this problem with the 'Man Upstairs.' I don't think you'll find your answer in here. BTW, God Bless you. Sounds like your hard work has paid off and you have a lot to be thankful for.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Are your toys paid off. If so, I'd be happy to have that vice if I were you.
If they are not paid off then you need to re-examine your priorities.

Not everything this paid off ,ie. house and charger, but I don't have any bills other than that and Direct TV, Phone and Utilities. And my retirement is pretty well laid out and all of my boys have Savings and 529 Plans that are pretty well funded.

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
Def need to pull that motor out, build it, and make some serious power.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Not everything this paid off ,ie. house and charger, but I don't have any bills other than that and Direct TV, Phone and Utilities. And my retirement is pretty well laid out and all of my boys have Savings and 529 Plans that are pretty well funded.

What's the issue than? Feeling guilty? Wife complaining?
Enjoy your life man.

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
Have you ever considered building a track only car to run a HPDEs? The car does to have to be a high HP car. It can just be a stripped car with stock engine and upgraded brakes. Before you know it you will forget all about the pursuit of HP and you will be trying to get better at the track. You need a hobby that involves bettering yourself, not just throwing money at it.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Def need to pull that motor out, build it, and make some serious power.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

I've already forged it...but didn't do heads and cam.

What's the issue than? Feeling guilty? Wife complaining?
Enjoy your life man.

Not really guilt and my wife's only complaint is she just doesn't understand it. She'll buy something and have it for now till the end of the earth but I can buy a Trek bike and sell it in 6 months to buy a part for my car or a couple new fishing rods and care nothing about the item I'm selling.

I think a lot of it has to do with when I was little I told myself that I was going to grow up to be able to walk into a store and if I see something I want then I'm going to buy it without attaching any feelings to it...be it should I buy it or not, or once I buy it should I keep it or not. It matters not to me. I use to watch my dad fill up a buggy full of tools and such but only get to the checkout counter with one item (usually the cheapest). I guess I just didn't want to have to do that and it's got carried away over the years with the "need" to buy things.

Last edited:

vickerw

Established Member
You know sometimes I feel the same way. My family & I are healthy, I have a nice house & two nice cars, a good steady job, but I often find myself always wanting something else for whatever reason. For example, right now I am wanting to go drop $1100.00 on an AR-15. Why? Who knows! I will never use it for its purpose or never really shoot it. It's just something I want. I definitely don't need it. I remember my Mother telling me that as I get older, material things wont mean as much to me anymore & I am sure that she is right. & when I do think about spending money on something useless, I think about all the people that have lost their jobs, homes, car, etc. during these tough times & it makes me feel bad.

oldmodman

Established Member
"and a take-home vehicle provided by my work with free gas!"

Siphon gas out of the work car to keep all your other vehicles full.

That should satisfy your desire for "more"

Nothing beats free gas.

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
First, to the OP...I appreciate your honesty

I fall into the same category as you...however I'm a bit older! :)

What's helped me is not just buying stuff for me, but buying stuff for my family.
(We've got a motorhome/boat/bikes that we do just about every weekend)

Either way, I know what you mean, it's tough to stay satisfied!

What's worsee for me, is that I cannot have anything stock...it seems every time I buy something, I'm out there looking for stuff to buy for it! That's a weird problem to have and i do indeed have it

KILRSVT

Established Member
hey man enjoy your life and money, you cant take it with you when you die. make sure you have enough money for your boys education. you cant take money with you when you die. enjoy it while you can dont forget about what comes first though.

it seems like the more we have the more we want
whats your occupation if you dont mind me asking?

Last edited:

vickerw

Established Member
First, to the OP...I appreciate your honesty

I fall into the same category as you...however I'm a bit older! :)

What's helped me is not just buying stuff for me, but buying stuff for my family.
(We've got a motorhome/boat/bikes that we do just about every weekend)

Either way, I know what you mean, it's tough to stay satisfied!

What's worsee for me, is that I cannot have anything stock...it seems every time I buy something, I'm out there looking for stuff to buy for it! That's a weird problem to have and i do indeed have it

This is my exact problem too! For example if I do buy the $1100.00 gun, I won't be happy to have just that. Because then I will have to mod it somehow. I already saw a $500.00 laser scope that I want to put on it & some other mods. So when does it end? Sometimes I just think buying & having stuff is the American way. I don't know.:shrug:

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
think about this you could lose your job any day in this economy, or your wifer could lose hers or both...so don't spend money save it or invest, think about it this way you need to cover your butt not for yourself but for your family, enjoy the toys you have now or sell one and pick up another but stop spending..good luck

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
whats your occupation if you dont mind me asking?

I work Narcotics for the State of Alabama and I'm a deputized OCDEFT Agent. My wife is a Prosecuting Attorney for the State.

I do want to point out on that though. We married when I was 18 and she was 20 and had to live with her parents (and no she wasn't pregnant...my first was born when I was 25). I delivered paint and was in college and she worked at the photo lab in Walmart and was in college. She was accepted into Law Shcool and we moved a block from the ghetto in Jackson, Ms and struggled for 3 years while she was in school. She graduated and got a job and I had the opportunity to either become a Pipefitter or be a cop. I chose to be a cop and have been for over 7 years...have worked narcotics for 6.

Last edited:

SVT~frenchie

Will the mods ever end?
Established Member
If you decide to get a lightning and tow a boat don't lower it.

Now as for your wants I don't see it as a bad thing. You see it as never being happy and there always being a "void", I view it as being ambitious. I have two completly different parents (divorced and both remarried) and my dad is just like you (always wanting to get new things) and my mom can buy an item and will make it last for her whole life. Different people have differnt needs and wants. Just as long as your desire for more doesnt completely over run your life, and you can still afford what your buying your fine. Your one of the lucky ones who (it seems like you do at least) work hard for what you have and can infact buy what you like, just keep your buying within your budget!

KILRSVT

Established Member
I work Narcotics for the State of Alabama and I'm a deputized OCDEFT Agent. My wife is a Prosecuting Attorney for the State.

I do want to point out on that though. We married when I was 18 and she was 20 and had to live with her parents (and no she wasn't pregnant...my first was born when I was 25). I delivered paint and was in college and she worked at the photo lab in Walmart and was in college. She was accepted into Law Shcool and we moved a block from the ghetto in Jackson, Ms and struggled for 3 years while she was in school. She graduated and got a job and I had the opportunity to either become a Pipefitter or be a cop. I chose to be a cop and have been for over 7 years...have worked narcotics for 6.

man thats one business that would never go down there is always scum bags trying to make easy money. plenty of those where i live.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Don't feel guilty.

Think of it this way:

If you saved all your money and invested in the stock market (like me), you'd be broke right now and have nothing to show for it.

If you blew all your money on toys and material things, you'd be broke, but still have the "stuff".

As I watch my investments dwindle down to nothing, I keep kicking myself for not buying that Ferrari F430 and that huge house on the lake.

bumper1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread