"Moonshiners" TV show

DMotorsports

Established Member
Anybody seen this new show on Discovery? I've seen the first couple of episodes. If you're not familiar with it, basically its a reality show that follows 2 perspectives in rural Virginia. One story line is a law enforcement officer trying to bust people trafficking and making moonshine. The other is a guy who is making moonshine with his son and a friend.

I'm trying to figure out how the guys making the moonshine are able to do the show without having a guaranteed ticket to jail once the show has aired. They do not take any measures to disguise their identities on the show.

One obvious explanation would be that everything they are filming is staged and not real (although I read on another forum where a couple of members recognized the guy on the show. they indicated that he was known in their area for making moonshine.)

Another argument I've heard is that it would be impossible to prove by the video footage alone that they had actually made moonshine.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone on here had watched it, and what your thoughts were. So far I've found it to be fairly entertaining.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
another option is that Discovery will make enough off the show to pay off the LEO agency in that area into letting them continue making the show.

Or like you said, since they dont show him actually mixing and producing it, they cant do shit.

Not to mention the episodes you see now were probably filmed 1yr ago.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Saw it for the first time tonight. Pretty interesting stuff IMO. I was wondering the same thing as you though about the legal issues and I have no freakin clue!

DMotorsports

Established Member
another option is that Discovery will make enough off the show to pay off the LEO agency in that area into letting them continue making the show.

Or like you said, since they dont show him actually mixing and producing it, they cant do shit.

Not to mention the episodes you see now were probably filmed 1yr ago.

Actually they do show him mixing/making it, or so that is how they portray it. I think it's kinda cool. It shows them finding a spot and then setting up all the components of the still. When he mixes in the ingredients though, he does say something to the effect of "I can't tell you the percentages of all the ingredients for legal reasons"... Some guys will argue that they could discredit the footage as incriminating evidence by saying "Oh well that clear liquid that they bottled could have just been water. You can't prove there was alcohol in it." IDK

Another theory I've heard proposed is that Discovery may have paid for a license so he was legal.

Regardless, to be quite honest, I find myself sitting there rooting for him to get away with it, lol.

Last edited:

03 VENOM

Established Member
It's funny that the guy making moonshine is a volunteer fireman. Who would of thought? Lol. It's a good show so far.

ZWilson07

Established Member
It's funny that the guy making moonshine is a volunteer fireman. Who would of thought? Lol. It's a good show so far.

Just goes to show you alot of regular and normal people around towns, or maybe even yours can be into alot of things that no one would have ever guessed. Acourse they stated because its such a small town even though hes the chief, he still doesnt get paid, but still its the same principle.

Alot of times contracts and agreements are done beforehand so that they wont get in trouble providing that they wont do it outside of the show, etc etc acourse lets be honest that never happens. It also can be used to "help" LEO's and law enforcement better understand and combat the problem which is another thing they try to throw in. But if you do notice, still sometimes certain things aren't shown or said just for their protection.

I remember at one time Charles Manson wouldn't do a big interview for the longest time even though everyone wanted him for one so he couldn't get in trouble and still try to state his innocence on certain things and eventually when they had the big one that was all over TV, he was able to get documents signed stating that he couldn't be prosecuted for things he said during the interview.

None the less im really liking the new show. Alot of the new ones that they try to swing and cop off the other good ones they have sometimes come out shitty and not near as good as some others, but this one seems to be good one. I like alot of the logging shows, swamp people is pretty good at times, moonshiners is good, black gold is pretty good, etc. I was on vacation all this past week and got to watch all of them because most of them have their own set days. It was a great week lol.

Last edited:

The Reapar

Unleash the Fury
Established Member
I've watched a few episodes myself. I know that I have heard about "Popcorn Sutton", and his moonshine prior to watching this show. In either event, even if you think its completely staged, the show draws you in somehow and compels you to watch the next episode just to see what happens. I've done the same thing with the show Gold Rush. It seems like they haven't found shit this whole season, but I can't seem to stop watching just to see if one of them finally does.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds like an interesting show. I'll have to catch it. Here's a cool video that goes right along with the show's title. Pump up the volume and listen to the whole vid.
[youtube_browser]xvaEJzoaYZk[/youtube_browser]

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sounds like an interesting show. I'll have to catch it. Here's a cool video that goes right along with the show's title. Pump up the volume and listen to the whole vid.
[youtube_browser]xvaEJzoaYZk[/youtube_browser]

Love that song, and it's also the intro music to the show.

Seen the first two episodes, and was wondering the same as everyone else. I suspect the season or series will end with the Sheriff arresting that guy.

armycook1981

Established Member
I was watching it last night aswell I was thinking the same how do they not expect to get arrested .. I'm guess it's like those repo shows where there reenactments of actual events just my thought

tnuce10

Established Member
I'm kind of hooked on it too. One thing I noticed is Jesse, the cop, seems to be a bit of an idiot. Anyone else agree?

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Can't wait for the "Meth cookers" reality show.

Seriously, television is just utter garbage. I am still waiting for "Accountants- Stories from the FRONT LINES"

Users who are viewing this thread