Montoya to go to NASCAR in '07

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
wow..that was unexpected..going from the technological pinnacle of racing to driving NASCABS around ovals...I guess he was tired of playing second fiddle to Kimi, or realized he probably would not have a ride next year. I think he would have been successful in F1 had he ever gotten to race for a good team. The McLarens are not reliable, and they have had a dismal 06 season. Atleast in 05 they had the speed to compete, but this year has just sucked balls for them. Oh well...I wish him success, even if it is driving a tin top..

Last edited:

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
Ahh yes, god forbid a driver want to race in something COMPETITIVE. F1 is boring, just as Montoya implied. Technologically, its sweet. Otherwise, I hate it.

cobraracer46

Banned
I think montoya is crazy to leave F1 for nascar and I'm having a hard time believing that returning to real racing was his main motivation for making the switch. I will say that his move to nascar showed that he has some really big balls and that could make him go far in stock car racing.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Nascar is so terrible. I'm glad Montoya is leaving F1. He's a whiny little b*tch, just like everyone else in Nascar. He'll be right at home.

Traffic_Cone

Established Member
SublimeRT said:
Nascar is so terrible. I'm glad Montoya is leaving F1. He's a whiny little b*tch, just like everyone else in Nascar. He'll be right at home.
It's the truth...ever since he was on BMW.

Mika

Established Member
A few weeks ago, it was rumored that he was willing to drive for free for McLaren. As far as the rest of the F1 paddock, I think they were tired of him and his constant whining.

He will be taking a pay cut(per his Speed press conference Sunday morning), but I think he will bring a lot of money to his pockets and others through endorsements. I'm not 100% sure, but he'd be the first Latin racer in Nascar. Or at least the first Latin that could possibly end up in the front.

Mika

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
SublimeRT said:
I'm glad someone said it.

GA Terminator

Established Member
He never produced for Mclaren like they thought he would. Now that Alonso is coming over next year, he is the odd man out. I am suprised that he didn't go back to Cart or the IRL. He really wants to win the Daytona 500 to be held in the same regard as Mario Andretti. One thing is missing, Mario has an F1 drivers championship, and he does not.

Coiled03

Established Member
Good riddance to that sorry POS. F1 will be a measurably safer sport without him. Not to mention there won't be as much whining.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I heard about it. I have mixed feelings. On the one hand you have young kids growing up through the Nascar ranks hoping to some day make it into Cup. And then you have drivers from other racing leagues getting (maybe) a free ride into Cup because they have a name with the other league and the car owner is (in part) wanting to capitalize on it. I just feel bad that when this happens a young up-and-comer might lose an opportunity. But that's just my opinion. I would like to see any driver from another league be required to prove themselves first in, say, the Busch Series.

Here is a quote from Nascar.com.
"Ganassi knows that Montoya will face a steep learning curve, but he also said that he expects Montoya to succeed at NASCAR's top level."

"I have seen this guy adapt to car like no driver like I have ever seen," Ganassi said. "No question, he can adapt to a Cup car. He will be doing Cup and Busch. I know my team is up for it. Is it not going to be a walk in the park."

"Because Montoya has no stock car experience, he will have to undergo a rigid program designed to get him approved by NASCAR for the 2007 Daytona 500."

I'd love to know what this "rigid program" is. It is obvious that C.G. is rushing this to get his big name into the Daytona 500 in 2007. I say make him drive Busch for a minimum of one year before allowing him to race Cup.

P.S. - I've pretty much given up on Nascar. It's now all about money and is fast becoming pure entertainment. Grass roots racing and Cup are night and day different. One is about pure racing. The other is more about pure entertainment. Again, JMO.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
He decided to drive with real men. Good for him! No more tea and crumpets but the beer and BBQ will make up for it.

BittenInBama

Established Member
He will prob do OK in NASCABs...he is not bashful about rubbing wheels and without a doubt he has skill. Whether he can adjust to the cars :pop:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
CobraBob said:
P.S. - I've pretty much given up on Nascar. It's now all about money and is fast becoming pure entertainment. Grass roots racing and Cup are night and day different. One is about pure racing. The other is more about pure entertainment. Again, JMO.

Same here.

When they have to produce 500 street versions of what they race and all have different bodies and engines maybe I'll start watching again.

Users who are viewing this thread