Moldy smell from Air Conditioner

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
After I run my air conditioner, when I turn it to vent mode, it smells strange. The dealer tried deodorizing the system but the smell came back pretty fast. I have a feeling it might be a clogged condensation drip tube since I've never seen any water drip from the bottom of my car when running the AC. This might let water collect, sit, and get mold growth. However, getting under my car I can't locate where the water should drip from. Can somebody help me out here? The smell is really getting ridiculous.

Thanks!

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
drain comes out of the firewall on passenger side...never actually looked for it but you can hear it drip on the exhaust so it has to be above that area

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
The problem is sometimes you get a fungus or mold build up in there. They sell something specific to get rid of it. I forget what it is though. The lysol sounds like it might help.

FredK'03Cobra

Established Member
If it is clogged, and has been for a while, check make sure your passenger side capet isn't wet. You'll end up with both mold and rust there.
Also, when you find the drain tube. Don't go nuts and ram a coat hanger up there, or you could punch a nice little hole in the heater core.

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
My dealer just performed some sort of mold removal spray as documented in some TSB 2 weeks ago. The smell was gone at first, but came back now. I don't think redoing it will fix the problem, unless somehow they were able to screw up that procedure. Can anyone verify there is a drain tube on this car? I've read some other posts on older mustangs (94-98) not having a drain tube but just a crack in the evaporator core where the water just drips out of. I didn't find the evaporator core today, but I was looking around the engine, radiator, and belt driven accessories for it.

How much water do your cobra's drip when running the AC? I still haven't seen a drop yet, but maybe humidity in my area (northern CA) isn't high enough to cause enough condensation to drip?

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
It's been humid as hell here lately since the Monsoons have hit and I get a river running under my cars. Someone mentioned BG Fridgie Fresh. Best damn stuff I ever saw. Works great. I would give it a try if I were you. Worse case scenerio is you end up pulling the dash and taking the system apart and disinfecting it. Yuk.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you do indeed have a mold buildup it is going to take more than Lysol to cure the problem 100%. For one thing, if it IS mold you don't want infected air circulating in the cabin. Ain't healthy!! The first thing I would do is verify the drain tube isn't working. Drive a bit on a hot day with the A/C on. Then park the car in your garage or driveway and lay paper under the firewall area. Be sure you lay down enough to cover a wide area since you don't know exactly where the tube is located. Then check the paper 15-20 minutes or so later. If you don't see any water then you pretty much have confirmed the issue is likely the tube being clogged. I would then talk to your dealer and get some specific info as to what you need to do and what is involved. I'm not saying you have a worse-case scenario, but if it IS a mold issue it is not healthy to breath that crap.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Yep! Good info Bob. And if you do need to take the car apart and clean it up, it's not the worst job in the world...you'll just think so by the time you're done! LOL Give yourself a weekend so you're not rushed.

Oh yea...take the car to an a/c shop before you start and have them recover the refridgerant. Then go back to them and have them do the recharge.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
Mine was fixed under warranty. Took hours, they fumigated the car and then used some sort of spray to kill the bacteria in the vents and stuff. The smell nevered returned.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This was on your '03 Cobra, right? I just saw a post on another thread where the new owner is complaining about some musty odor coming through the vents. :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
my 04 cobra. Mold sucks. Maybe that's why I've been feeling sick lately.

Users who are viewing this thread