Mods Void warranty?

rcksblr

Established Member
Hey Guys, i just renewed my warranty and was curious if the mods I have void the warranty. Bassani Cat-Back, K&N Intake, Predator Tune, 2.88 pulley, 3.73 gears, Stage 5 half shafts.

I'm thinking I will have to swap the stock pulley if i'm taking it in, is that right? or can I take it in as it is? Also, does the gearing affect the warranty. Thanks.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
tune and pulley will affect any type of judgement call on engine warranty. the gears will affect the warranty of anything related to those parts.

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
They will try anything to not have to pay for fixing your car.
Unless you have connections they will void your warranty with any signs of pulley or tune change.

black 10th vert

Established Member
is there a way they can tell if the computer "had" an aftermarket tune, if you flash it back to stock with a hand-held?

IACobra

Established Member
Again, remember, it has to be proved/shown that the part you installed caused the issue for any claim.

A general warranty typically is not void- they will just deny the claim based on cause/effect.

And as said earlier, some will go to great lengths to show that the modicfication you made caused the issue.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Yes it can void the warranty...

but on a side note..if you find a dealer that's mod friendly it won't matter anyways. My local place doesn't care what's done to the car.

rcksblr

Established Member
I called them back and found out that any modifications typically will void the warranty...even down to having aftermarket wheels. Pretty much anything to get you to pay for the damages, not to warranty. I just went ahead and cancelled. Pulley swap/tune/gearing/etc is going to void the warranty.

IACobra

Established Member
I called them back and found out that any modifications typically will void the warranty...even down to having aftermarket wheels. Pretty much anything to get you to pay for the damages, not to warranty. I just went ahead and cancelled. Pulley swap/tune/gearing/etc is going to void the warranty.

key question---- With WHOM did you "renew" your warranty? Ford? Or an aftermarket warranty company? The details in the warranty should explain what details about what is void and not. Aftermarket warranty companies are typically more stringent on this.

With respect to other comments made earlier, typical vehicle warranties are generally NOT (repeat NOT) void simply because modifications were made. It has to be proven, or logically demonstrated, that the mod caused the issue.

Example: if you had a door lock not work, or the seat latch was not working, you will not be denied becauase you pullied your car. However, if you had engine issues, and they can demonstrate that your modifications could have caused this. you're probably out of luck.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act clearly explains all of this.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread