Mods: Best and Worst

1s9v9t3

Established Member
I am going to be getting a 93 cobra here in the next few weeks from a buddy of mine. It is totally stock and was wondering some of the best mods, bang for the buck.
And also what would it take to run mid to low 12s on slicks?
Thanks,
Simon

slow98t/a

Established Member
Well, I don't know how much money you are wanting to invest in the car, but a nice heads/cam package along with some 3.73 or 4.10 gears and a full exhaust system would be a nice step, and you would be doing it N/A. Or, I would imagine gears/exhaust and a nitrous kit could get you pretty close to what you are wanting. But, then again I am a firm believer in maximize your N/A set-up, and then throw a power adder at it :D

1s9v9t3

Established Member
I am wanting to do it n/a. I am building it up with my dad, sort of a joint project, so it works out that we can spend double the money with both of us coming in.

slow98t/a

Established Member
Well, if it helps out any a buddy o fmine has a '94 cobra with a CHP 347 stroker. Stage 3 TFS heads done by TEA...price on heads was $1,300.00, custom grind cam, Holley Systemax upper/lower intake, BBK Longtubes, Dr. Gas X-pipe with Dynomax bullets and 4.10's...he's gone a best of 12.1x @ 120 on street tires, and 11.40's at 119 on e.t. streets...and, he's not the best driver in the world...car made 389 at the wheels. For a total investment of say....$5,500 in the entire motor/exhaust/gears? I'm a firm believer in NOT buying any used parts at all, and not cutting corners...and, he's got a very well thought out powerplant.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
don't do pulleys
Gears ok, but not 4.10's. 73's or 55's

My first 93':

Ported GT40 heads
Extrude honed upper/port matched lower
E303 cam
Unequal shorty 1 5/8" headers
2 1/2" off road H pipe
Flows
75mm Maf
3.55's
A9L computer
13.0's at 107mph on regular radials

93SVT-Jason

Established Member
3 years ago,

stock TB, intake, heads, block.

mods, E303cam, longtubes, H, catback, underdrive pullies, 3.73's, fms driveshaft, A9L, prom75, cai, and don't forget the shifter. lol.

I have about 12 timeslips of 12.6x @ 107. I also have a few 12.9's on drag radials.

With a nice set of AFR's, I would have expected something in the range of 12.00-12.10's if not faster.

83gt5.0

Established Member
Is the stock MAF and/or cam holding back a stock 93 Cobra? In other words, will I get bang for the buck with upgrading either or both of them?

jhein2580

Established Member
Some of my first mods and least expensive:

Best driveability mod = Pro 5.0 Short throw shifter ($200)
Best Bang for the buck = New Cam ($200-300) or 3.73 gear ($200-300)

Good luck but remember MODS are like a good drug. "Hard to stop the habit"

Lee

Established Member
1s9v9t3 said:
I am going to be getting a 93 cobra here in the next few weeks from a buddy of mine. It is totally stock and was wondering some of the best mods, bang for the buck.
And also what would it take to run mid to low 12s on slicks?
Thanks,
Simon

I'm going to be different. "Totally stock"?? I hate to see another stock Cobra get modded up. In a few years I want a totally stock 93 Cobra. Keep yours that way and I'll buy it from you. :rolling:

CO9B3RA

Established Member
DITTO, Lee!!!!! Another "stocker" could bite the dust.... :burn:

Even :bash: doesn't seen to have an effect! Maybe someone with money
ought to buy all the for sale stock '93's up and sell only to people who will not mod them.
:coolman:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
83gt5.0 said:
Is the stock MAF and/or cam holding back a stock 93 Cobra? In other words, will I get bang for the buck with upgrading either or both of them?
Stock MAF isn't holding back a stock headed Cobra. I wouldn't bother with a cam upgrade unless I was doing a head upgrade at the same time...

1s9v9t3

Established Member
Wow trhis thread came back from the dead. I actually never got the car, so dont worry another stocker did not get modded. I really thought about and after some careful consideration was only going to do exhaust and intake and a shifter
Simon

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
64.5 07K said:
Even :bash: doesn't seen to have an effect! Maybe someone with money
ought to buy all the for sale stock '93's up and sell only to people who will not mod them.
:coolman:

:lol: :lol:
That is the funniest and most rediculous post I have ever seen.

Those of you who feel that we are the devil for making a 93 cobra more enjoyable drive by doing a few mods here and there should get away from a "Fox Body Cobra' performance forum and start a 93 cobra 'furniture forum' because it seems you guys think that the cobras were produced to keep locked up and looked at in your garage instead of kicking the competion's ass on the street!

If it wasn't for us (speaking for all year cobra owners who modify and drive them) the cobra would be a puss car.

sled

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
:lol: :lol:
That is the funniest and most rediculous post I have ever seen.

Those of you who feel that we are the devil for making a 93 cobra more enjoyable drive by doing a few mods here and there should get away from a "Fox Body Cobra' performance forum and start a 93 cobra 'furniture forum' because it seems you guys think that the cobras were produced to keep locked up and looked at in your garage instead of kicking the competion's ass on the street!

If it wasn't for us (speaking for all year cobra owners who modify and drive them) the cobra would be a puss car.
:thumbsup: the stock 93s need a little more kick to keep up with the GM cars and some imports of today.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
sled said:
:thumbsup: the stock 93s need a little more kick to keep up with the GM cars and some imports of today.

This so true and sad. The 93 Cobra should have been a 351ci power plant, then I doubt many people would have modded them.

I found a guy that buys up all the crashed 93 cobras he can when the insurance company totals them. This is what im looking for, one that had the drive train stolen out of.

What a great car to mod the hell out of due the salvage title. Mine will stay as close to stock as possible, and is.

sled

Established Member
well a 331stroker with an S-trim took care of my problem. still looks 100% stock all around till i open the hood. i dont seem to have a problem with beating highly modified LS1s anymore. lol! everyone always ask WTF is done to that thing??

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
This so true and sad. The 93 Cobra should have been a 351ci power plant, then I doubt many people would have modded them.

I found a guy that buys up all the crashed 93 cobras he can when the insurance company totals them. This is what im looking for, one that had the drive train stolen out of.

What a great car to mod the hell out of due the salvage title. Mine will stay as close to stock as possible, and is.

it'll be easier to make a cobra clone from a 93 gt. but i hear what your saying. i only have upgraded the brakes and wheels or course. other parts you change, tb, maf, radiator, r&p, bushings, etc. is just wear and tear. you have to remember, a totally restored fastback 40 years later brings a lot of cash. but i don't think back in the 60's anyone could forsee how much the fastback's would be worth. we have hind sight because its happening right now in our day.

Users who are viewing this thread