Modifying DIY MIL eliminators? Tough question inside...

toast

Established Member
Ok so I tried making MIL eliminators as per instructions found all over the internet. 1 microfarad cap and 1 mega ohm resistor, etc etc. Well, they didnt work. The light is still on and I did them twice to make sure I didnt have a short or bad wiring or anything.

Heres the question with some of my speculation. I have heard that MIL eliminators tend to work better on newer O2 sensors. I would assume this is because the amount they are designed adjust the voltage sent to the computer by the O2 sensor falls more in the ideal range. Where as an older O2 sensor (this is pure speculation) could have more crud/resistance built up over time and naturally read lower or higher than the ideal range anyways; yet still not be far enough off to trigger a CEL under normal conditions. In the case of the older O2 sensor, I could see the MIL eliminators either over or under compensating and failing to prevent the CEL.

Anyways with my longwinded and probably incorrect theory out of the way, my question is could switching to a different resistor (either more or less resistance) possibly account for an older O2 sensor and successfully prevent the CEL from showing? If anyone has ANY experience with this or \info that could help me figure this out Id really appreciate it. It started as a random project to kill some time and has turned into an obsession. I really wanna beat this damn CEL.

I apologize if any of this is unclear but I am tired after a long day and just want to post this before I go to sleep. Thanks in advance!

toast

Established Member
Well eventually Ill have a tuner turn it off. Its more of a personal challenge/something Id like to figure out than anything else.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
What codes for the CEL?

There could also be another underlying reason for the CEL

Users who are viewing this thread