Modify 16" GT wheels for slicks/tubes

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I spent some time researching a track tire setup so I thought I would post the whole story here;

The IRS is fragile so a soft sidewall tire is one solution for drag strip use. A 16" wheel is the smallest size wheel that will clear the IRS tie rod / cobra rear brakes and leaves only a few tire choices. I went with the MT ET streets in 26x10.5-16 mounted on a 97 GT 16 x 7.5 (yes they are 7.5" wide) wheel. I chose to follow MT recommendation and run tubes, so the wheels needed some machining first.

Step 1) find some 94-98 GT wheel. I paid $80 for a set of 4. They will likely be filthy, scratched and found somewhere in the ghetto. I used oven cleaner and a sand blaster to clean them up. Remove all rubber from the bead area so the new tires won't slip.
DSCF0001-4.jpg

Step 2) Drill out the valve stem holes to 5/8" and deburr the hole.

Step 3) Measure the circumference (139mm), I used a soft tape used for sewing. Mark 8 equally spaced holes on each side. I chose to make 1/2 of them at a 45 degree angle (I think I saw this on the Hoosier site). I used screws specific for tires (Mr Gasket), they are grade 8 and I still broke one. Don't use soft screws from home depot..... The screws came with a bit, it is too small for the thick GT wheels. I ended up using a #3 drill. deburr all 16 holes. Run a screw to tap threads into the aluminum before the tires are mounted, that way 'if' they break off they are easier to deal with.
DSCF0006-5.jpg

I chose to paint the wheels so I lightly sanded them and used a file to fix any blemished on the lip. A few coats of duplicolor wheel paint including the clear coat and they look slightly less like cheap factory 16" GT wheels.
DSCF0016-2.jpg

Step 4) Get tires mounted. Use baby power and don't get bead lube on the tube. Install tire screws with red loc tite on the area where the screw and wheel contact.
Note: make sure the balancing weights will clear the tie rods. There is only 1/8" of clearance and they need to be in the middle of the wheel.
DSCF0011-2.jpg

The 10.5 wide tire has only 8.5" tread and looks like this on a 7.5 wide wheel;
You will need open ended lug nuts to make the tech inspector happy.
DSCF0014-2.jpg

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
Exactly what i was looking for! Great info in one place.

can you post a link to the type of bolts you used? Mr. Gasket. did they have a threaded neck?

Thanks for taking the time to post this up! :beer:

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Mr. Gasket 4318 - Mr. Gasket Wheel Rim Screws
or
Moroso 90100 - Moroso Wheel Rim Screws
or
Summit or Jegs generic Rims screws, all about the same.

Yes they are threaded all the way up. The threads at the top are what hold the screw in the wheel. The threads that bite into the tire are not what hold the screws in so do not drill a clearance hole.

The supplied 3/16" drill bit is too small for the thickness of the GT wheels and if used will require enough torque to snap the head off. Always use oil to lubricate when taping threads.

Mr. Gasket 4318 Mr. Gasket Wheel Rim Screws

2SlwPgy

Established Member
I was thinking of using 16x8 Cobra R wheels. The same tire as you though, but will I still need to put rims screws in/ run a tube?

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I was thinking of using 16x8 Cobra R wheels. The same tire as you though, but will I still need to put rims screws in/ run a tube?

You can run ET streets with or without tubes. MT recommends to use tubes.
Screws are only really used to hold a 'tubed' installation in place so the tire/tube combo can't slip on the wheel and tear the valve stem off the tube.

There is quite a tube/tubeless debate all over the 'net. If you don't run tubes the tires will leak to some extent, but most likely it won't matter over the course of a few hours at the drag strip. Some people coat the inside of the tire with dish soap to mitigate this.

Also for the 8" wheel you could also use the 26x11.5-16 size

The recommended wheel width on the MT web site and the sticker on the tire were slightly different;
size 26x10.5-16
tread width = 8.5
wheel width (website) +/-1" of thread width -> 7.5 to 9.5 wheel.
wheel width (sticker on tire) = 7, 8, or 8-1/2

Last edited:

laruei

Established Member
How happy are you with the wheels/tires?

Im about to reproduce this minus the tubes :D

Also why not go with the 26x11.5's? Too much buldge and not enough contact patch?

laruei

Established Member
F ya! I literally bought 4 16" GT Wheels today! (only using 2 of course)

I am going with spare wheels (with track tires on them) for the front though. Does anyone know how big of a spacer would be needed to run a 15 or 16" front runner and Cobra R brakes? That is to say if my local track doesnt like the space saver wheels..

On 2nd thought I see you're in Southern Cali as well. Which track are you going too? Irwindale? When and where is there gonna be another 1/4 now that Fontana is closed :(

Last edited:

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
F ya! I literally bought 4 16" GT Wheels today! (only using 2 of course)

I am going with spare wheels (with track tires on them) for the front though. Does anyone know how big of a spacer would be needed to run a 15 or 16" front runner and Cobra R brakes? That is to say if my local track doesnt like the space saver wheels..

On 2nd thought I see you're in Southern Cali as well. Which track are you going too? Irwindale? When and where is there gonna be another 1/4 now that Fontana is closed :(

I am going to Sacramento Drag Way. As for the spacers, I used a 1.250" spacer with the 15" wheel on stock cobra front brakes. I had to grind a little on the studs but no thread is lost. Also had to use lower profile nuts on the spacer to get them to clear the rear of the front rim. Not sure if that is allowed but we will see.

Spacer 1.250"

Last edited:

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
Only thing that sucks about running those wheels is that they are so damn heavy but if u can snag them for less than 20 bucks a piece, soooo worth it

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
Only thing that sucks about running those wheels is that they are so damn heavy but if u can snag them for less than 20 bucks a piece, soooo worth it

Your referring to the spare wheels as runners right? Because the Ponies are actually pretty light and $600 cheaper than any other drag tire. My fronts are the summit wheels, they are a little heavy but ok for a semi-serious weekend warrior. IMO

laruei

Established Member
Bad ass runs man. Sucks about your last time slip! No one saw the time for you?

And I sent you a message on your video but which 2 step do you have?

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
N2mb I think I am relying on my rpm gauge and above 4500 it doesn't read properly.... However you see it was working (flames indicate "step) lol! Set at 4800 last run. I just stood on it and dumped.
Time slip, the track didn't even register the run. I deep staged but people say that I still should have worked. Maybe I waited so long that I thought no one was in my lane and just ignored it.
Oh we'll, I'm going for kills in the 10's next time! No more trial... Just racing it for consistency.

laruei

Established Member
Thats strange about the 2step. Mine was only set for 2k and didnt work almost everytime after my burn out.. but I think mine was the clutch activation switch...

Might look into it on yours as well?

Users who are viewing this thread