Modernizing my 65 coupe.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
Well I daily drive this gal (15 miles round trip). And am interested in making the car a bit easier to drive. What I'n thinking is upgrading the front suspension with a Mustang II style. Does anyone have any experience with this modification? Does the strut towers need be cut? If so, is there another kit that doesn't require this? I know it's a vague question but I'm not planning on racing this car, only to make it more comfortable. I'd rather not cut off the strut towers if avoidable.
And just for fun here's a pic of the car.
photo1_zps78282866.jpg

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
No need to hack up the car to make it a better daily driver. And, rack conversions (in my opinion) aren't worth the money. Speak to some places like Street or Track, and they can help guide you in the direction you want to take. If NOTHING has been done to your car's suspension, even just getting it "back in shape" will help a ton. But, if you want to take it beyond 60's technology, a lot can be done. Better brakes is a MUST. And, early Mustangs have a bunch of options when it comes to suspension upgrades.

http://www.streetortrack.com/

Aceswild 02

Established Member
An upgraded stock style suspension will perform way better than a mustang II setup ever will and will be easier and cheaper.

Rebuild with stock or upgraded components, 620 springs, arning drop, PROPER alignment to street or track specs (not stock specs!). Maybe roller spring perches...This setup will handle awesome, you will be amazed by the performance.

You can spend a TON of money on suspension and it will be tough to beat this stup. Moog has great stock style parts, as does open tracker racing products.

Check this out for a lot of great info: http://dazecars.com/dazed/suspension101.html

For brakes you can go stock style discs to fit under 14" wheels, or upgrade with street or track or to cobra brakes.

Aceswild 02

Established Member
Oh yeah...if your steering has very much play, you may want to have it adjusted or rebuilt. It helped mine a ton just to fill up the steering box with fresh grease. They are notorious for not have very much grease at all, which will add to the vague feel and wander.

Arning drop and proper alignment will have you steering one handed, even in parking lots. Good luck!

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
thanks for all the help everyone, this just made my life easier with what to do with her. And I'll have to check out the grease in the box cuz there is a ton of play

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
An upgraded stock style suspension will perform way better than a mustang II setup ever will and will be easier and cheaper.

Rebuild with stock or upgraded components, 620 springs, arning drop, PROPER alignment to street or track specs (not stock specs!). Maybe roller spring perches...This setup will handle awesome, you will be amazed by the performance.

You can spend a TON of money on suspension and it will be tough to beat this stup. Moog has great stock style parts, as does open tracker racing products.

Check this out for a lot of great info: http://dazecars.com/dazed/suspension101.html

For brakes you can go stock style discs to fit under 14" wheels, or upgrade with street or track or to cobra brakes.

After reading suspension 101, I think I want to start slow and move my way up if needed. What I mean by starting slow is upgrade the front and rear sway bars and get the alignment adjusted to how daze recommends. it. Quite possible do the Shelby drop as well and see if these three changes help my driving needs. What do you guys think?

latamud

Gearhead
Established Member
After reading suspension 101, I think I want to start slow and move my way up if needed. What I mean by starting slow is upgrade the front and rear sway bars and get the alignment adjusted to how daze recommends. it. Quite possible do the Shelby drop as well and see if these three changes help my driving needs. What do you guys think?

Do your suspension changes first, then get an alignment. Otherwise you'll need an alignment after each mod.

For a daily driver, 15 miles round trip each day I wouldn't waste time swapping in a Mustang II setup as others have mentioned. Suspension and brakes do their job. I'd recommend calling Opentracker Racing Products. 831-659-0688. Shari will probably answer and knows the products well, if you call later in the day (business hours) you can talk to John. You tell them what your plans are, what you use the car for and they will build a kit that meets your needs. They have base street kits that will be perfect for your needs and not blow your budget.

My guess for Opentracker recommendations for your plans:
http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/
Shelby drop (ask for a template, they will send you one free with order)
Street upper control arms
Street lower control arms
Roller spring perches
Roller Idle arm kit
Either install new RUBBER bushings on your strut rods or upgrade to the adjustable strut rods.
For brakes, if you are still running the single resovoir Master cylinder and drum brakes all around I'd recommend the redesigned Granada swap from CSRP. They took the vintage Mustang steering geometry and applied it to the Granada spindle. Basically blended the best of the Mustang and Granada spindles, using the Granada brakes components. It's all new parts and for a great price.

1" front sway bar
Grab-A-Trak® Shocks are a great price for a 4 corner replacement.
For the rear leafs, maybe swap in some poly bushings.

Last edited:

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
There are a bunch of other good suspension options out there too. If you have a classic Mustang, you should have a subscription to Mustang Monthly. Yes, it's a printed magazine. They are a great source for tech articles and there are several suspensions systems in there regularly. A lot of their tech articles are online now too.
I have a 65 hardtop restomod also and I'm looking at the same stuff. I've already done the wheel spacer kit and run 17x8 rims/tires (take off Bullitts from a 2001 GT). I also have a T5 conversion using Mustang Steve stuff. Planning to do 13"/11.6" Cobra brakes as well.

Users who are viewing this thread