Modern 6 speed auto w/paddle shifters in a Lightning?

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
Owning a 2011 Camaro with a 6 speed auto with tap-shift which I only drive using the paddle shifters, I was thinking how bad-ass the Lightning would be with a 6 speed paddle shifting transmission over the grandpa cruiser 1985 Cadillac 4 speed. Surely a 6 speed in itself would help accelerating and fuel mileage? Being able to select shift points and hold a gear would be great too! Has anyone ever tried putting a modern transmission in a Lightning and getting rid of the Flintstones-tech stocker? :lol1:

uae_lightning

Street Force Motorsports
Established Member
The best way I can think of it is to both get a complete TCI unit http://www.tciauto.com/tc/6x-six-speed-transmission-package-small-block-ford-bellhousing-paddle-shifterhtml/ Through it, you could Control your trans througha stand alone software and switch off the older TCU control through your current custom tuner.

Make sure you get the right RPM pickup sensors and speedo converter.

If you wanted a cheaper option just get a 6 speed of a chevy and do all the swap parts needed such as, Signal converters, bellhousing, custom shaft, Pickup sensors and a stand alone TCU.

I still suggest option number one and a good wiring wizard.

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
I have used the TCI unit, way too much of a pain to dial in; I wouldn't recommend it. Easy answer to your question is no.

Jroc

Established Member
This has been discussed quite a bit. If you want to do a 6R80 swap then you will need a stand a lone computer to control it. The shifting in it all all controlled in a tune. Apparently it doesn't use things like VB's and whatnot. I'm no expert but it's what I've been told. I think I've read that it would work if you had a wire harness for it, but would a stock ECU control it? I wouldn't think so if it's shifting is controlled fully by the computer and not with a VB and whatnot.

A 6R80 in a L would be badass though as the 4R100 leaves a lot to be desired IMHO like maybe some shorter gearing in the first 4 gears and a extra overdrive with something more streetable on the highway than a .71 final overdrive gear.

How strong are the 5 speed(05-10) Mustang auto's, and would that be hard to make work in a L?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread