Modded GT vs stock GT500

Loosescrews

Established Member
For those of you hoping to see a race video I apologize. From the threads that I've started it is obvious that I'm searching and trying to make the right decision for me as to what to spend my money on. I've found a dealership, Capital Ford in NC, that sells GTs modded by Fastlane Performance. (Capital Ford Lincoln Rocky Mount NC Ford Dealer New and Used Fords | Certified Used and Quality Pre-Owned Vehicles | Ford Service and Parts) These cars come with warranty and you can finance the mods in with the price.

My question is how does for instance a 405rwhp GT compare to a stock GT500? I question this due to used GT500s are getting down to the same price as these new modded GTs that Capital Ford is selling. Which makes more sense? Which is the better car? Would it come down to what look I like better? Feel free to post away!

And just think, without threads like this you all wouldn't be able to showcase your vast knowledge. :beer:

SicShelby09

Banned
For those of you hoping to see a race video I apologize. From the threads that I've started it is obvious that I'm searching and trying to make the right decision for me as to what to spend my money on. I've found a dealership, Capital Ford in NC, that sells GTs modded by Fastlane Performance. (Capital Ford Lincoln Rocky Mount NC Ford Dealer New and Used Fords | Certified Used and Quality Pre-Owned Vehicles | Ford Service and Parts) These cars come with warranty and you can finance the mods in with the price.

My question is how does for instance a 405rwhp GT compare to a stock GT500? I question this due to used GT500s are getting down to the same price as these new modded GTs that Capital Ford is selling. Which makes more sense? Which is the better car? Would it come down to what look I like better? Feel free to post away!

And just think, without threads like this you all wouldn't be able to showcase your vast knowledge. :beer:

Cheaper and cheaper to mod : GT
More expensive but a much higher capability with cheap mods : GT500.

The GT500 can have a pulley/intake/tune and make 530-550rwhp. The GT will take a ton more mods, but will be a much cheaper car to start with. But at the same power level, the GT will be faster with its weight advantage.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I would say choose the car based on it's stock performance for what you are wanting to do.

If you're in to open tracking or auto cross the GT is going to be the better contender with it's lighter weight, especially over the front wheels.

If you're looking for something to take to the drag strip our pound around the streets with, you're probably better off with the GT500.

obZidian

Established Member
A gt500 stock is in the 118-119mph range on the street. Though the 5.0 is a nice car the gt500 is a much better buy, especially if you're looking for an 08-09.

Forged bottom end good for way more than you can put to the ground, a clutch that will get you there and a drivetrain that you can literally bet the crap out of.

The five-oh is about 250lbs. lighter but compare the cost of modding and again, the gt500 comes out on top. A stock weight gt500 with upper/lower, ported blower, intake, tune is a very quick car. Add headers and other supporting mods and you can see 600rwhp. That is damn close to 130mph+ on pump without spending a whole lot... most of it comes from the headers.

I would get a gt500 all day over a five-oh... its a cool car but to me, the chassis and its weight/gearing is what really shines in the new 2011 gt... not the engine. (Flame retardant, engaged!)

nocobrafornow

Established Member
personally it's up to you, but in my opinion you need to do some real research. you say you can finance it and it comes with a warranty. is this warranty going to be at that dealer only. from the way Ford is cracking down on warranties, you need to know. also are you financing the whole amount, i only ask becaus if you sell it down the road and you finance the majority it may be hard to sell to someone. when i bought mine i knew i was going to mod so took the chance of voiding it. if it was me making the choice again i would still buy the GT. my best friend had an08 Shelby with a KB made 680ish rwhp and in 3 years he only put 4000 miles on it. clutch chattered had afew shifting issues and i know there were tsb's but no one would touch it because of the mods. and the interior is no where near as nice. i love my gt and cant wait to get my Roush blower. this is my opinion. David

fordrevhead

Established Member
This has been discussed elsewhere but considering the financing, insurance and warranty and $ for $ the new Gt is a better buy than a used gt500 IMO

Dont get me wrong i love the gt500 and looked at them and will own one someday but had to make the same choice based on budget if i wanted to drive one this year.

wbt

Banned
I've owned both:

2010 GT500
2011 Mustang GT

Performance per dollar, the GT is the better car. If you want something more unique, higher car note, higher insurance, higher total cost of ownership and gets worse MPG, the GT500 is the best choice.

What I liked about the GT500:
Navigation
Sync
Style (front and rear are amazing)
Seats (leather seats were comfortable)
Easy to add more power

What I didn't like:
5.4 is antiquated
Stock is an OK performer at the strip
(reasons already mentioned)

Buy a GT auto premium, throw a Roush blower on it and eat the GT500 for lunch. It will cost much less overall.

BTW - my bolt-on 2011 GT would run off and hide from our stock GT500.

Pic from the rear of both:
CIMG0937.jpg

Last edited:

Kewlv8

Established Member

The GT500 is a better car from the factory than the 5.0. Heavy duty drivetrain, forged pistons, unique looks. More expensive? Yes.

Sure, you can mod the GT to be near or above the GT500 performance, but at the end of the day you have a 'modded' GT that you spent the same as you would have on the GT500, but is worth half as much on resale. And, once the GT500 mods, GT still loses.

The GT may be a better daily driver (auto? gasp), but does not compare to the GT500 as a unique garage\weekend car. This may be your deciding factor... good hunting.

FastRedPonyCar