Mod Suggestions

bolinger06

Established Member
Well to make a long story short ive been wanting to do some work with my tranny and rearend and tonight just comfirmed it. I raced a 345 horse firehawk and was playing catchup everyrace. I have about 475 to the wheels. My tires suck and i'm on a pretty much stock tranny with a king cobra clutch. I've been doing some research and just want some ppl's suggestion who have more insight than I do. I really wanted to do a t56 swap but it just doesn't seem practical after adding everything up. I'd like to stick with my t-45 and have it upgraded to promotion's 750+hp kit, then i need an opinion on what clutch to get. I've noticed ppl said to get an aluminum flywheel also. I currently have a steeda tri-ax shifter. For the rearend, i really dont know much except i've been really liking the Mickey ET Streets. Right now I have 18x9.5'' 2000 cobra r's with crappy 275's out back. Whats the largest tire i can fit on that rim? I'm not sure as who has the best axles out there or anything. I do have 3:73 gears, upper & lower controls arms, subframe connectors, and 5 way adjustable shocks and struts. Just looking for some peoples opinion on the best setup. Thanks, Brady

96cobra8u

mystic slobra
Established Member
I am guessing your car is blown or on the bottle, since you are pushing 475whp.

go with the rebuild for the trans...spec stg.3 clutch... 31spline axels... a eaton posi... and TA girdle cover.
With those parts you should be able the power and also the extra stress from et streets if you run them. I am no genius when it comes to drivetrain parts so I am sure others might have better sugestions, but you should get a good idea of what you need from what I listed.

As for the tire size on the cobra 2k R wheels you should be about to run a 285 on them for most tire manf. or a lil bigger from nitto since they run narrower then other brands. I would proably go with a 275 and get a fairly sticky tire on it and you should be set for a while.

bolinger06

Established Member
yeah it's blown...thanks for the info, how much horse will that clutch handle? I planning on upgrading my s-trim s/c to a t-trim if i have enough money left and i only want to do a clutch swap once.

96cobra8u

mystic slobra
Established Member
The spec stg. 3 has a torque capacity of 680lbft, and the stg. 3+ has a torque capacity of 800lbft. I guess the stg. 2 would probably work for you also it has a torque rating 520lbft and the 2+ goes to 620lbft.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
You will nevre hook on 17" drag radials; they may look good but they aren't for racing. 15" DRs are the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread