Mobil1 5W20 Oil Analysis (2011 GT)

Beernuts

Established Member
Here's the Blackstone analysis on my 2011 GT for those who may be interested.

OEM oil was used for 3000mi, then switched to Mobil1 5W20 for 5000mi (oil was approx 11 months old.)

Filter used was Motorcraft FL-500S

Blackstone.jpg

Blackstone mistakenly used the averages for the V6 on the first report, this is an updated report for the 5.0.

Blackstone almost ALWAYS says "you could go longer on the oil if you want."

They are specific though with the maximum mileage they suggest you put on the oil. That's what you want to hear. That's one difference I've noticed from what the lab guys at Blackstone have to say as opposed to the Amsoil guys, on my UOAs.

Beernuts

Established Member
Blackstone almost ALWAYS says "you could go longer on the oil if you want."

True, but if everything is within spec, why not?

I'll probably just bump my interval up to 12 months which should put me right around 6000 miles. I don't drive the car during the winter, so its really only about 8 months of usage on the oil.

Here are some additional comments they sent me via email:

"Sorry for the mistake on the engine type. We've sent you a revised report with the correct averages for the new 5.0L V-8 engine. That did change the averages a little, but mostly for the better as far as your report was concerned, because the average 5.0L we've seen so far has higher iron and copper than the 4.0L averages we were using before. Of course, since this is the new Ford 5.0L "Coyote" engine, most of the ones we've seen are going through wear-in, so those averages will probably come down over time as more and more of those engines settle in to normal operation. In any case, on this factory oil, nothing in your sample appears to be out of line, so it looks like you've got a good one here. Sorry again for not catching the mistake on the engine type. Let me know if there's anything else we can do for you. Thanks!"

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
They are specific though with the maximum mileage they suggest you put on the oil. That's what you want to hear. That's one difference I've noticed from what the lab guys at Blackstone have to say as opposed to the Amsoil guys, on my UOAs.

OAI is a header name for Amsoil, but Polaris Labs actually does the testing. Amsoil doesn't have a testing facility for consumer used lubricants. That's all contracted out to Polaris. Kendall, Chevron, and Allison are but a few big names who also contract Polaris.

Some of the guys at Polaris are boneheads, as their comments sometimes make little sense. Glad I can filter though ignorance.

Last edited:
OAI is a header name for Amsoil, but Polaris Labs actually does the testing. Amsoil doesn't have a testing facility for consumer used lubricants. That's all contracted out to Polaris. Kendall, Chevron, and Allison are but a few big names who also contract Polaris.

Some of the guys at Polaris are boneheads, as their comments sometimes make little sense. Glad I can filter though ignorance.

Thanks for the clarification Beast. I was under the impression that Amsoil had its own "Blackstone type lab" at a headquarters somewhere.

Turbo900rr

Established Member
As soon as I put another 1000 miles on my car I'll be sending in a sample for testing. Should be interesting. 2012 5.0 procharged on e85.

Users who are viewing this thread